PDA

View Full Version : 450R--400EX rear shock

KEVIN300A
11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if a 2001 400ex rear PEP shock will fit onto a 05 450r?? The 400 has a 450r swinger!!!

jfwyatt
11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
it should fit with no touble my boss has a 450r shock on his 400ex so im sure it would be the same with a 400ex shock to the 450r.

2muchquad
12-24-2008, 10:23 PM
i just put a 450r shock(05) i had lying around on my 400ex today,i havent really ridden on it yet but it seems ok.It did lower the bike about a .50 inch but i was looking for a lower mx stance anyhow:D

400exrider707
12-24-2008, 10:25 PM
The 450R shock is .9" shorter in stroke.

It will bolt up.

IT IS INCORRECT.

The valving and spring rates are off, bad idea....;)

Any luck selling your 450 yet?

2muchquad
12-24-2008, 10:40 PM
IT IS INCORRECT.

Incorrect for what,for who?.i dont plan on running nationals or battling up front with Gust and company.Thats what im talking about,too many kids read too many magazines,visit the real world from time to time,where most of us working people raise families and put food on table.We dont put 20k in a quad and have every part powdercoated.its like this,quad breaks,we fix it so we can ride.We dont box it up and send it to CT or Sparks,we get our hands dirty.Moral of story?Im riding now so dont tell me its incorrect...have a nice day

400exrider707
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Incorrect for what,for who?.i dont plan on running nationals or battling up front with Gust and company.Thats what im talking about,too many kids read too many magazines,visit the real world from time to time,where most of us working people raise families and put food on table.We dont put 20k in a quad and have every part powdercoated.its like this,quad breaks,we fix it so we can ride.We dont box it up and send it to CT or Sparks,we get our hands dirty.Moral of story?Im riding now so dont tell me its incorrect...have a nice day

I'll tell you again... ITS INCORRECT.

Sure it works for you, thats fine. Have fun riding it.

It doesnt make it any less INCORRECT. I dont send anything to anyone, I built my quad 100% on my own (other than what Honda did at their factory). I put less than $6500 into my entire quad including the price of the quad itself. It took me over 2 years to get it the way I want it. You dont have to be rich to do it correct. What's with the working class hero stuff? I'm not knocking anyone for trying to do things the inexpensive way, I'm just telling you its not the correct way to do it. Sure it bolts up and you can ride it, but dont tell other people to do it when its not really the correct way to do things. If it works for you, great. I can name a lot of things that have "worked" for people in the past but were not the correct way to do it.

2muchquad
12-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Well the 450r swingarm on a 300ex isnt"correct",but a lot of people have done it because it was a upgrade.400ex a arms on 300ex,wasnt "correct",but its been done,450r shocks on a 400ex wasnt "correct" but its been done.Yzf motor in a 400ex chassis isnt "correct" but its been done.cr500 linkage on a quad wasnt "correct" but its been done.Oh wait,if elka puts a 1/2inch spacer behind a shock seal head to decrease travel,its ok?See where this is going..

400exrider707
12-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Well the 450r swingarm on a 300ex isnt"correct",but a lot of people have done it because it was a upgrade.400ex a arms on 300ex,wasnt "correct",but its been done,450r shocks on a 400ex wasnt "correct" but its been done.Yzf motor in a 400ex chassis isnt "correct" but its been done.cr500 linkage on a quad wasnt "correct" but its been done.Oh wait,if elka puts a 1/2inch spacer behind a shock seal head to decrease travel,its ok?See where this is going..

yes I do, so far everything you've mentioned seems like an upgrade... except for the elka part... not a fan of elkas...

The 450R shock on a 400ex seems like a waste when you can just have a 400ex stock shock rebuilt and set up correctly for so little in comparison to what a new shock costs.

Hey I'm all for cheap inexpensive mods on quads, thus me doing everything myself. The engineer in me just says some things shouldn't be done...

2muchquad
12-24-2008, 11:45 PM
The 450R shock on a 400ex seems like a waste when you can just have a 400ex stock shock rebuilt and set up correctly for so little in comparison to what a new shock costs.

No my 400ex shock is fine,i just had this 450r new take off shock sitting 4ever,i decided to put it on,i havent even ridden on the thing yet,who knows i may take it off.Butfor the riders that i know,if they blow a shock,and dont have cash at the moment,then this will let them ride this up coming weekend.d iis how we do it,we'll scour evilbay for a replacement,we dont send stuff off to get rebuilt...thats just silly:D

sc400ex_rider
12-25-2008, 11:05 AM
if it got you going, sweet. i never tried it but i have read on here that people who have done it said it made the quad handle like "crap". its got to be better than riding a blown shock or not riding at all. just a word of caution so your not chasing your tail wondering why it handles different.

400exrider707
12-25-2008, 09:40 PM
No my 400ex shock is fine,i just had this 450r new take off shock sitting 4ever,i decided to put it on,i havent even ridden on the thing yet,who knows i may take it off.Butfor the riders that i know,if they blow a shock,and dont have cash at the moment,then this will let them ride this up coming weekend.d iis how we do it,we'll scour evilbay for a replacement,we dont send stuff off to get rebuilt...thats just silly:D

I agree, I'd totally do it, if it allowed me to ride for the weekend. That I wont disagree with..

KEVIN300A
12-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the help guys :macho .... I see that it is incorrect so I went and bought a PEP big bottle for a 400ex.. I compared them and seen that they are about an inch different give or take.... fyi if it brakes and I can't ride for the weekend i to would bolt up a 450r shock if itS CORRECT OR INCORRECT!!! LOL :D

400exrider707
12-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by KEVIN300A
Thanks for the help guys :macho .... I see that it is incorrect so I went and bought a PEP big bottle for a 400ex.. I compared them and seen that they are about an inch different give or take.... fyi if it brakes and I can't ride for the weekend i to would bolt up a 450r shock if itS CORRECT OR INCORRECT!!! LOL :D

Again, they will bolt up and you can ride it safely, I just wouldn't do it as a permanent mod, it wont ride "correct" as a proper built shock would. The 450R shock is about .9" shorter in stroke.