PDA

View Full Version : gussets

davetat2
11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
hi there can anyone tell me where the gussets need to be placed
finally going to start the build and this is the first task .
lso are there any other frame mods i should make cheers

86trizinger
11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I would like to know this as well.. We are going to start tearing apart our trx90 after Christmas as a little project for my boys. Our TRX is a 2003 model.

Any help or photos you can give would be great.

etondaddy
12-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Call Gary Fallon he's got them cheep...... I got mine from Jegs and I wish I would have called Gary.

Mike Kozura

86trizinger
12-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I have a box of gussets already from when I was building my Volkswagen.. I just wanted to know where to best places to put them are

3-D Racing
12-03-2008, 04:26 AM
Here are a couple of pics of where I put them on Kyle's quad.

etondaddy
12-03-2008, 04:27 AM
At the top of the front tubes.... and you need to put thicker top motor mounts. Hetrick has a kit for the TRX 90. Or call Charlie McVay if you send him your frame he'll do it right his son rode one for years and knows everywere they brake......that's were my frame's going this year..... if you go to the sponsor page of Kyle's web page you'll find a link to McVay Racing.
www.kylekozura.com

Mike Kozura

3-D Racing
12-03-2008, 04:30 AM
We also put stronger motor mounts in it and welded a washer on the sprocket sid of the swingarm pivot bolt, an welded a solid rod in the down tubes and gusseted the steering stem mount to the down tubes.

davetat2
12-03-2008, 03:54 PM
would love to send my frame off but would be very costly for me as i live in the uk....
this is proving a bit harder to build than i first thought as i have to get everything from the states the good thing is it will be the only built trx in the uk.
can anyone tell me of any main weak spots anywhere please:D

ROBBSRACING
12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
When I prep a frame for my own son to race I take 2 lengths of 3/4 inch .083 chromoly tubing and drive it down the inside of the 2 front tubes. All the way from top to bottom and tig weld them in on both ends. I also add 2 gussets on each side of those same 2 tubes just above the steering stem mount. Thats all I have done on every one of Robbie's Hondas. " IMO " if you have problems braking the frame in other places your suspension probably isnt working too good. Again "IMO" the engine mounts shouldnt brake either unless the motor loosens up. That's the only time I have ever seen trouble with the motor mounts. Keep in mind I allways start with a BRAND new off the showroom quad !

davetat2
12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
cheers rob and thanks for the tank aswell woudn't hae needed it only a friend of mine throw mine out and couldn't find one in the uk only a new honda one:D

ROBBSRACING
12-04-2008, 08:21 PM
No problem. It left today.