PDA

View Full Version : Want to make the Can more MX friendly

cdoskocil9
11-29-2008, 09:32 PM
So Im ready to start modding the Can Am for handling and suspension I would like to do:

Steering Stem
Handle Bars
Long Travel A-Arms
Long Travel Shocks Front
Long Travel Shocks Rear

Im pretty sure I want to go with Flexx Handlebars what bend is good for motocross, and what steering stem will work good with them?

Please post up the long travel kit you run and what it cost......

Also what tires and rims does everyone reccomend this will be a MX only quad......

Thanks

Mr. Big Time
11-29-2008, 10:14 PM
For a-arms I would go with houser-racing a-arms. They are reliable, but also very easy to make adjustments with. they are $950.00 Here is a link... http://www.houser-racing.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Can-Am%3AHouser+Racing+A-Arms:Long+Travel+-+Approx+20.6+Inch+Shock

If you call houser ask for Erin and tell her Damon James sent you

shocks: Fox shocks make the best, but there are also other companies out there that make good shocks. Houser usually has them in stock, and might have package deals.

Sterring stem: I would go with Tag metals they make a great stem at a way better price than anybody.

Handlebars: fasst flex is the best, call extreme mini quads n.w. at 253-538-2133....they sell them all the time and can tell you all about them...Tell them Damon James sent you

cdoskocil9
11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank you do you have any pics of your setup?

Mr. Big Time
11-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Let me know if you call any of those places.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/usa_man/canam2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/usa_man/canam4.jpg

cdoskocil9
12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Will do as soon as I get out of school for the holidays Ill be calling em.......

LTRracer4
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
there are other companies. You just listen to one person with a few sponsors. Im not sure on who makes parts for the can-am and who doesnt, for a-arms you cant go wrong with JB, ATV 4-play, Laeger, or houser. i know Epic has done alot of r & d with the Can-am, but im not sure about the availability of their parts for amatuers. Fox shocks no doubt. Flexx bars for sure. Shop around, you can find them for cheaper then $300. Tag stems are good, but so are houser, walsh, and many other companies, again shop around, and do some research. For wheels check out Douglas wheels, get set up with some beadlocks and you will be set for along time. I dont know your budget, how much you ride/race, or anything like that, but you cant go wrong with ITP MXR6 tires, id recommend them or Kenda Klaw's for all around riding/racing. If you are looking to drop more jack, and dont mind replacing your tires a bit more often, check out the ITP quadcross tires, or Maxxis Yellow label razr's. Id recommend Rath for nerfs, bumper, and grab bar. Look around though, dont go off one opinion on here, save some money, and run what fits you.

Mr. Big Time
12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I toataly agree with you..the big reason I recommed houser is because they are easiest to make adjustment too, and they have a good price compared to most, not all, but most. Tag is the cheapest sterring stem I've seen, I actually still have the stock stem and bars. Extreme Mini Quads will give you a super great price on Flexx bars, if you tell them I sent you, and as for all the other stuff such as bumpers and nerfs I would damn sure just find what fits you price range. The bumper I have on is a x-factor, but you can get a tag, that looks the same, for about $30 cheaper, and my nerfs, I got because they were cheap and instock, and I needed them in a hurry. They are ac racing nerfs, but I do not like them, the spikes wear out way to fast. For rims, dont get omf unless you get a set of the covers with it, cause they are a pain in the *** to clean, and a pain in the *** to put air into the front ones.

ProspectorJim
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
What nerfs would you recommend in the 150 to 250 range?

Also what's a good bumper for around $100 dollars. Is the blingstar ultralight any good?

LTRracer4
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
i personally wouldnt buy anything but Rath when it comes to nerfs. I've broke or seen almost anyother company's nerfs break. Their pegs are stainless steel. i've had mine for a whole season now, and the pegs look the same as the day i took them out of the box.

the blingstar ultra light bumper is what the title says. its really light, but they sacrafice quite a bit of stength from that. my buddy has one and it is small, it looks alright though, but i doubt it would hold up to a holeshot love tap.

Mr. Big Time
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
The Tag bumper is like 96 dollars, and my nerfs were 165, but like I said, the spikes wore down. Go to the Rath website, they have stuff for sale, I was gonna buy a pair that were over 300 for around 150, but they werent in stock, and that was a few months ago, but check it out. I'm sure the blingstar is good. The Tag one looks kinda like mine.