PDA

View Full Version : Long Travel Suspension?

livetoride
11-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I've been looking at some long travel shocks for awhile and have narrowed it down to 2 elka and fox. I'm trying to decide which would be the better buy. Basically I need some input on which shock would be easier to tune and set up for mx racing. I'm looking for some input from anyone who has riden on either type and what are the pros and cons of each.

XCRacer236
11-29-2008, 09:44 PM
FOX FLOAT EVOL FTW!!! elka's products are good, but they dont know how to put them together. it is WAY overpriced for the products they use internally. their customer service people are idiots.

livetoride
11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
anyone else got anything to say about either brand? I need more opinions than just one. so far my build list consists of the mods in my sig, houser long-travel a-arms, axcalibar axle, Razr MX rear tires, and Razr Cross fronts on hyper wheels. once I come to the conclusion of which shocks to get I'm going to start putting it all together.

JParisi48
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
not sure which one works better but i defidentally think the fox are a lot harder to adjust and have some maintenence to go along with it like the air pressure, my cousin has them and his started to leak fluid because of a messed up seal or something until he got it fixed and now they are starting again, i love the feel of fox, never ridden on elka. oh and he has a honda i dont know if that has anything to do with it but...

livetoride
11-30-2008, 07:10 PM
to me it does not matter what brand of atv they are on, I'm just looking for peoples opinions on one or both types of shocks from there experience with them.

AlwaysCummin
12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Ive used Elka, Axis, and Fox.. I always end up goin back to Fox although my Axis were damm close! GO FOX..

rkw327
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
i have houser long travel arms with fox fronts,oem/pep conversion rear shock and just finished a 7race series all mx tracks and i no problems with any of mine and to me it rode great

spincr4hire
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by JParisi48
not sure which one works better but i defidentally think the fox are a lot harder to adjust and have some maintenence to go along with it like the air pressure, my cousin has them and his started to leak fluid because of a messed up seal or something until he got it fixed and now they are starting again, i love the feel of fox, never ridden on elka. oh and he has a honda i dont know if that has anything to do with it but...

fox floats are simple to adjust, you don't have to worry about sending them off to change the rate either. I love mine!

JParisi48
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
sorry i meant the air pumps suck to do, well i dont like em anyway, it took me and my cousin like a week to figure out how to get the shocks to work lol

spincr4hire
12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by JParisi48
sorry i meant the air pumps suck to do, well i dont like em anyway, it took me and my cousin like a week to figure out how to get the shocks to work lol
they are the easiest shocks to adjust IMO. I wish Fox would make a rear Evol air shock.

Hetrick Racing
12-04-2008, 02:35 PM
We ran FOX last year they shocks work fine,they are very easy to adjust once you figure them out.
I will say you will change air pressure at every track(for best results) .
My son is running ELKA this year on his Kawi.
what I have seen testing is this,we can set the ride height easier and this makes the quad corner better without rolling over.
Bottom line we are 2.5 to 3 seconds faster a lap with elka.
Have to say this, Joel has been on elka for 2 years and he is bias to their product.
But lap times are not

elementryder
12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
well i have ran axis since i stared racing,
i was always satisfied with their products, but fo rthis year, were working with the guys at axis to dial my 450 as good as we can!

and what we have right now, i cant imagine any other shock being better! i have rode fox before but never pounded any laps out with them, they seemed alright

oh and i have owned a set of stadium shocks before and there is nooo difference, its night and day