PDA

View Full Version : I thought these quads were bulletproof? Trans took a crap on me today.

NJ450rider
11-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah so after having to buy a new carrier because the bearings in my old one blew up and ruined the carrier. I got it all back together in time for some friends to come up riding. Rode for a few hours today and now my 400ex is acting like an 06 and up 450r. I only have 1st gear and nothing else. you shift into 2nd or 3rd and it catches for a second than jumps out of gear and just grinds. Oh boy i can only imagine what went wrong. My current guess is that the shift forks or shift drum wore out and arent lining up right. causing it to jump out of gear and just grind. Anyone else have a guess what it could be or if they have had a similiar problem?

Oh yeah this is a 2001 400ex with low hours. :(

Now i have to get my 450r running so i can ride that instead lol. :p

2muchquad
11-29-2008, 10:56 PM
have you checked your cable adjustment?I wouldnt panic just yet until you look at everything.I have seen trannys that wouldnt shift and you just knew it was something major and it be something simple like a cable or even a detent spring on the shifter assembly.you never know...

NJ450rider
11-30-2008, 05:43 AM
well the clutch cable is new and i know its adjusted right. I dont think this is something simple it feels really bad.

sc400ex_rider
11-30-2008, 07:13 AM
its prolly a bent shift fork they can bend if you ride hard. also power shifting is hard on the dogs. if its low hours why did the carrier go out and why the new clutch cable? if you want to see a real low hour machine i will show you my 02 with original tires,plastic,stickers,grips,front break pads,bearngs and chain THAT HAS NEVER BEEN ADJUSTED. :D

drew416ex
11-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah its probably shift forks or something like that. I dont know why you would be having problems. Mines now a 440 stroker, I only use the clutch to take off, and I beat the thing to death and ive never had issues.

NJ450rider
11-30-2008, 09:45 AM
well its an 01 400ex. Im the second owner. the first owner had it for 6 years and only rode it a few times. it sat in a garage for like 5 years lol. He was an older guy so i know it wasnt beatin hard. The only mod was an air filter and slipon exhaust. the rest of the machine was stock when i got it. It didnt even have any scratches on the plastic lol.

well the carrier bearings were 7 years old now i guess it was time considering they go under a ton of abuse. Lots of water and mud here with me dont help either. I dont think they like 50 to 70ft jumps either. I ride this thing like my 450r with long travel opppsss. lol

The clutch cable is new because i put on a +2 houser steering stem and needed a longer cable so i have a motion pro cable.

I do ride the machine hard and only use the clutch to take off. sometimes to slow down. the clutch is really only needed to take off.

11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
I do ride the machine hard and only use the clutch to take off. sometimes to slow down. the clutch is really only needed to take off.

theres a problem right there and that most likely created the problem. its really needed to shift all the time. i cant believe the number of people ont his site that have tranny problems or something not right and they say they never use the clutch they dont need it. not to be cruel by why are there so many stupid people? yes you can power shift bu its only in line with everything to do it right at 1 certain rpm and without a tachometer you will never get it. riding hard makes no difference when using the clutch i can shift if i'm getting pounded over the whoops and use the clutch

Ruby Soho
11-30-2008, 10:17 AM
not using the clutch isn't as bad as people make it out to be, granted its not the best for the trans, but if your up shifting and not hammered on the gas when you do it there's not a problem, i do believe down shifting it does put stress on a lot of parts.

NJ450rider
11-30-2008, 10:42 AM
atvs and dirtbikes have straight cut hardend gears. You dont need to use the clutch that much.

Id love to convert my srt4 to a straight cut geared dog box trans just for the reason of NOT using the clutch to shift. But it costs a lil over 5 grand. lol! :eek2:

Oh well either way im gonna take the left side cover off and see if i can see anything. And than tear down the engine to fix whatever went wrong. Its no big deal.

jstalnaker
11-30-2008, 11:22 AM
i have had a 400ex since 1999. you have to use a clutch exspecialy from 1st to 2nd and third. you will take 2nd and 3rd out over a period of time and its just a matter of time. i race gncc and have for over 20 years. since 1999 when the 400 came i have taken second gear out twice. and after figuring out the problem havent done it since. USE THE CLUTCH thats why its there. you more than likely took out 2nd and 3rd.

lilyamaharacer4
11-30-2008, 11:41 AM
His problem is that he is used to running his 400 like the 450r. All race motors have a very different transmission setup. You can upshift and down shift on a bike or quad without the clutch and never have any problems. Now with a transmission setup like the one thats in a 400 using the clutch is needed.

lilyamaharacer4
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
not using the clutch isn't as bad as people make it out to be, granted its not the best for the trans, but if your up shifting and not hammered on the gas when you do it there's not a problem, i do believe down shifting it does put stress on a lot of parts.

And no ruby it does not put any stress on the trannys on race motors. There is stress on the tranny when your on the gas, but once you let off and you go to down shift the clutch is not needed then since the transmission is "free" and like i said before he cant run the 450r can be ran that way due to the constant mesh tranny where the 400 does not have a constant mesh tranny.

When you dont have a constant mesh tranny you need to use the clutch all the time.

krt400ex
11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
theres a problem right there and that most likely created the problem. its really needed to shift all the time. i cant believe the number of people ont his site that have tranny problems or something not right and they say they never use the clutch they dont need it. not to be cruel by why are there so many stupid people? yes you can power shift bu its only in line with everything to do it right at 1 certain rpm and without a tachometer you will never get it. riding hard makes no difference when using the clutch i can shift if i'm getting pounded over the whoops and use the clutch

it really is not that bad. if you try to bang it into gear with the clutch or without letting the throttle off is when it can do damage. i rarely use my clutch and i have never had a trans issue

Ruby Soho
11-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
And no ruby it does not put any stress on the trannys on race motors. There is stress on the tranny when your on the gas, but once you let off and you go to down shift the clutch is not needed then since the transmission is "free" and like i said before he cant run the 450r can be ran that way due to the constant mesh tranny where the 400 does not have a constant mesh tranny.

When you dont have a constant mesh tranny you need to use the clutch all the time.

got ya. i always though since when down shifting your rpm jumps up, the motor being at a higher rpm and switching into gears wouldnt be good for it.

either way i use the clutch, can't hurt.

NJ450rider
11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
well i have another 450R engine maybe ill just swap it in. lol

Or i might even consider getting an 05 and up 400ex bottom end to have reverse too.

drew416ex
11-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Well thats the thing. A lot of people slam the thing through the gears when not using the clutch. Yes, that will tear something up. If you let off the gas, move the shifter and let it fall into gear, there is no problem.

440challenger
11-30-2008, 04:47 PM
i have a 400ex frame set up for 04 05 450r u can have LOL

250x_kyle
11-30-2008, 05:28 PM
shifting without a clutch isnt a problem if ur in the right rpm range and you let off.

bry14661
12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
everyone that thinks its ok to shift without the clutch is crazy. It wouldnt be there if it wasnt necessary. I use the clutch and ive NEVER had any problem with my clutch or tranny and i ride a 2000 with more hours than your mommys minivan

12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
His problem is that he is used to running his 400 like the 450r. All race motors have a very different transmission setup. You can upshift and down shift on a bike or quad without the clutch and never have any problems. Now with a transmission setup like the one thats in a 400 using the clutch is needed.

dee dee dee, i've seen the same thing happen on 450's chipping gears and screwing up the tranny and the same story "i dont use the clutch you dont need to" you guys are making me sad how many idiots are out there, lets run our tires with 0PSI cause i will grip more and take the bolts out of our frames to shave weight. why is it those they dont use the clutch have the problems and those that ride right dont? hmmm i wonder maybe there is something to this clutch thing. if you cant ride with a manual clutch get something without one or dont ride. the only excuse would be a recluse type setup.

ti2ibal1
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I first started riding off-road in '93. I have always used the clutch on EVERYTHING I've owned and have never had any issues.

Out of all the guys and girls I've ever ridden with, only one hasn't used thiers. He broke the lever off his Warrior and rode the whole summer sans clutch. Instead of replacing a $10 part, he spent the winter rebuilding his transmission.

It's there for a reason. Use it.

drew416ex
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
dee dee dee, i've seen the same thing happen on 450's chipping gears and screwing up the tranny and the same story "i dont use the clutch you dont need to" you guys are making me sad how many idiots are out there, lets run our tires with 0PSI cause i will grip more and take the bolts out of our frames to shave weight. why is it those they dont use the clutch have the problems and those that ride right dont? hmmm i wonder maybe there is something to this clutch thing. if you cant ride with a manual clutch get something without one or dont ride. the only excuse would be a recluse type setup.

Um, ok. we are all idiots. or maybe, just maybe if you know how to do something everything works out ok. Mines a '01. I tore into the engine a year ago and what do you know, the tranny looks almost brand new. No chipped gears or anything like that. But wait, I thought if you dont use the clutch everything tears up?

redrabbit
12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
i wish everyone would quit arguing. use your clutch and if you dont use your clutch and your trans takes a crap on you then dont get on here talkin about it. you know the first thing anyone will ask is "do you always use your clutch?" and that starts a whole big argument. sorry but i just get tired of seein it. so lets all take a chill pill and get along. thanks fellas