PDA

View Full Version : Dome Condition - Usable?

rustyATV
11-29-2008, 07:46 PM
I recently bought a cylinder and have been inspecting it.

When I took off the head, I found the dome had a few dings in it. The cylinder and piston were fine, so I went to clean the dome with some emery cloth. That's when I found the pitting. It looks like a combination of debris and detonation. I was wondering if people here agreed, and if they thought it was usable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/hoppy/Cylinder%20-%20Old%20and%20New/dc_h04.jpg

ZSNOW
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
depends what your looking to use it for. im sure it would run, and maybe even pretty strong. but how long?

woodsracer144
11-29-2008, 09:05 PM
it will run... take some sand paperand sand most them down... so theres no bumps comming up... and its kinda smooth... i'll show you pics here in a while i have to do it to one of mine

woodsracer144
11-29-2008, 09:35 PM
here
mine was worse they yours and i got it like this with really really fine sand paper... and alot of time...

C-LEIGH RACING
11-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Both those domes should be replaced.
Rusty, yours for sure more or less just because of the way the squish has been cut.

Woods,
you still have that 265 engine or that head just laying around.
Neil

woodsracer144
11-30-2008, 08:15 AM
yeah i do... you want it its for sale... your gettin the bad dome tho... you can get a new one for 24 buck at pro x...i'll sell you the rod, spacer plate, jug, new from the bod piston and rings.
it uses a stock bore piston... with a 86 rod... im not sure what the CC i dont know if its a 265... but its got a P&P by FTZ and hits super strong....
let me know

rustyATV
11-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I was sort of wondering about hot spots and what not.

Neil, what's up with the squish? Because it's flush with the deck?

C-LEIGH RACING
11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by rustyATV
Yeah, I was sort of wondering about hot spots and what not.

Neil, what's up with the squish? Because it's flush with the deck?

First time I looked at it, it looked like there was a flat area from the edge of the squish out to the machined edge for the bore, but I realize now that is a o ringed dome from a Pro Design head for a TRX cylinder, right.
That engine build using that dome, the piston must have been down in the bore some at TDC.

Just by looking at the damage, I can tell its had at least 2 different times something has destoryed itself & fragments crushed between the piston & dome.
Been run a good while each time it did after the repairs had been made as well.
Neil

rustyATV
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, it's for a Duncan Powervalve cylinder. You're right in that it was run a while after receiving the damage. Come to find out I'm the third owner and when I looked at it when I first pulled it apart (see the picture below a bit fuzzy), only a couple of the largest pits were detectable because of the carbon buildup, which told me the damage was old. Also the included piston was undamaged and the cylinder showed no signs of debris, though it has other issues I'm a little concerned about and I'm going to make a thread for shortly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/hoppy/Cylinder%20-%20Old%20and%20New/100-0013_IMG.jpg