PDA

View Full Version : weird noise?

exrider12
11-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Alright some of you may now i got a 2007 450r yesterday. Its mint plastics are brand new and has tires and nerfs for $2800. Well we got it home and it idle like crap. So we took the carb apart cleaned it and put in fresh 93 octane gas. He ran 87.

So after that ran great and idled smooth. We took it out today and ran awesome power is all there but it makes a weird noise from the right side of the engine. Almost like a knocking or something. Idk what it is and want to make sure its nothing big

Help appreciated thanks

p.s. It sat since march. Idk if it makes a difference.

exrider12
11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
oh and it kind of pops into first gear to.

pitsrule
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the 450r :D They are pretty loud engines. If it runs good and has good power your probably fine. If your worried about find another one to compare it to....all the ones I have heard sound the same...Loud! It probably wouldnt hurt to check the valve clearances since you bought it used and probably dont know how was ridden. Mine is so load I can hear it over the stock exhaust..but it runs perfect and I cut the oil filter apart after every three rides and its as clean as can be.

exrider12
11-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info. But my buddies 05 doesnt make the noise? is it an 06 and up thing? And any reason it pops into gear? I havent done an oil change yet, maybe that will help.

pitsrule
11-29-2008, 07:47 PM
yes its an 06 and up thing. The engine was pretty much redesigned they changed the bore and stroke and I think that is where the noise is coming from. As far as the first gear thing goes. Mine goes in hard when it is cold but once I ride it a little its fine. I think it just needs some heat in the clutch to make it release properly. If you notice when it is cold and you try and start it with the trans in first and the clutch pulled in (I dont recommend this) the entire quad will move forward. Once it warms up you can start it in first with the clutch pulled in no problem. I still put it in neutral when I start mine even id it warmed up.

exrider12
11-29-2008, 07:55 PM
ok makes feel alot better. Im still going to take it to a dealer ship and have them check evrything over to make its all set. Thanks alot:)

pitsrule
11-29-2008, 07:57 PM
thats not a bad idea! Better safe than sorry. Do a search on this board and you will see a bunch of post just like this one with a bunch of really good responses.

exrider12
11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
can u give me a link to a few. I cant seem to find any

thanks

pitsrule
11-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Search for loud engine or just the word loud...youll find pages of info. I sent you pm too.