PDA

View Full Version : rematch 525IRS vs YFZ 450

TINKRD
11-29-2008, 03:03 PM
last time me and my buddy raced the only thing done to mine was a filter. he'd get teh hole shot and was able to put about 1.5 bikes on me and i couldnt fetch him...

this time i've rejetted, no lid, 15T sprocket....

my buddies bike is a 450, jetted, full exhaust, high comp piston, filter along w/ alot of suspension...

this time around we went from a slow first gear roll. we wanted to take the holeshot out of the equation and really see who's bike is faster

the first race he was out on me by no less then a foot. he hit the rev limiter in 3rd and i passed him to about half a bike length and was dead locked.

the 2nd race i was able to keep the nose down better and was out on him by almost 2 feet, if that. locked it there all the way to near the top of 5th gear :devil:

i'm loving the added top end the 15T has added!

we're going to race a 3rd time once the Fatboy 4 gets here and i rejet again :devil:

side note, i've also got an extra 50ish lbs on him. i'm 230 and he's about 170.

my other buddy just got a honda 700 and it's a turd!! put 6 ot 7 bikes on him. wasn't even a race. lol

U1arunit
11-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Sounds good! Makes me glad that I bought the Outlaw 525 instead of the Honda 700xx I was looking at! lol

TINKRD
11-29-2008, 09:05 PM
you made the right choice :cool:

i took it for a ride before we raced. i knew instantly it was going to be a slaughter.

i didnt like the honda. it has a much shorter wheelbase then the outlaw and i felt like i was "over" the handle bars rather then behind them. definetly didnt have as much grunt to it as the outlaw. even comparing it to before i rejetted the outlaw is much faster. it did have IRS which was cool to compare to the outlaw IRS.

sleddog66
11-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Are you short shifting?? Make sure you are shifting before 8000rpm. the ktm does not like to rev. You should beat him by more if you have been winding it out!:macho

5W0P3
12-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by TINKRD
l

my other buddy just got a honda 700 and it's a turd!! put 6 ot 7 bikes on him. wasn't even a race. lol

Hey now hey now hey now...

I'd consider my experience a factor as well. First quad. Just wait for my mods... I'm coming after you!

BennyYFZ
12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
last time me and my buddy raced the only thing done to mine was a filter. he'd get teh hole shot and was able to put about 1.5 bikes on me and i couldnt fetch him...

this time i've rejetted, no lid, 15T sprocket....

my buddies bike is a 450, jetted, full exhaust, high comp piston, filter along w/ alot of suspension...

this time around we went from a slow first gear roll. we wanted to take the holeshot out of the equation and really see who's bike is faster

the first race he was out on me by no less then a foot. he hit the rev limiter in 3rd and i passed him to about half a bike length and was dead locked.

the 2nd race i was able to keep the nose down better and was out on him by almost 2 feet, if that. locked it there all the way to near the top of 5th gear :devil:

i'm loving the added top end the 15T has added!

we're going to race a 3rd time once the Fatboy 4 gets here and i rejet again :devil:

side note, i've also got an extra 50ish lbs on him. i'm 230 and he's about 170.

I'll be ready for you again as well ;-)

TINKRD
12-02-2008, 07:22 AM
well well well!!! STALKERS!!! lol

the exhaust is on as of last night :)

goign to rejet this weekend. i found a place in McKinney that has a dyno. i'm going to call them today to see if they have a wideband :)

eerhard09
12-02-2008, 09:30 AM
TINKRD,

Try these settings with the pipe, filter, and JD Jetting:

A/F screw: 1.5-2 turns out (2 if it is cold out where you live)

Needle; Red on 4th or 5th clip (I don't remember), or Blue on 3rd clip if it is cold.

Stock pilot jet

Main: 165 if warm or a 168 of cold

O-Ring: Large

These settings will get you very close because a lot of us with JD kits, filters, and pipes are running almost the same settings, at least from what I have seen. I can almost guarantee that you will be very, very close with these settings if you go dyno tune it. I would feel safe running against your buddies with that setup. If you have a jetting change from that setup, I am going to guess it will make less than 1/2 hp difference.... I may be wrong but have confidence that you will be damn near spot on.

scuzz
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't *wait* to run a outlaw 525 IRS....

5W0P3
12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
well well well!!! STALKERS!!! lol

We're nationwide...

eerhard09
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
I can't *wait* to run a outlaw 525 IRS....

Hey scuzz, how do you like the 700xx? Have you had a chance to put in time on both a 525 IRS and the 700xx to compare them? I have never been on the 700 before other than at the bike show in Cleveland. It looked big but that doesn't always translate to how it feels on the trail. Do you have anything done to it yet?

TINKRD
12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by eerhard09
TINKRD,

Try these settings with the pipe, filter, and JD Jetting:

A/F screw: 1.5-2 turns out (2 if it is cold out where you live)

Needle; Red on 4th or 5th clip (I don't remember), or Blue on 3rd clip if it is cold.

Stock pilot jet

Main: 165 if warm or a 168 of cold

O-Ring: Large

These settings will get you very close because a lot of us with JD kits, filters, and pipes are running almost the same settings, at least from what I have seen. I can almost guarantee that you will be very, very close with these settings if you go dyno tune it. I would feel safe running against your buddies with that setup. If you have a jetting change from that setup, I am going to guess it will make less than 1/2 hp difference.... I may be wrong but have confidence that you will be damn near spot on.

thanks for the heads up!

i'm already running a 165 main, big oring, red needle 5th clip down.

my fuel screw is only 1 3/4 ways out. i'll try adjusting that to 1.5 turns out.

sounds like i might have been running rich w/ those settings and the stock exhaust. so now that i have the duncan on there i should be right on par. :D

scuzz
12-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey scuzz, how do you like the 700xx? Have you had a chance to put in time on both a 525 IRS and the 700xx to compare them? I have never been on the 700 before other than at the bike show in Cleveland. It looked big but that doesn't always translate to how it feels on the trail. Do you have anything done to it yet?

I love it! I think I would have a hard time going back to any SRA quad after this thing. Keep in mind I came off of a 400EX so the change between the power of this thing and the 400 is a wide expanse.

I haven't done anything yet to it although I have a wish list on rockymountainatv if you would like to contribute. :D

1st thing will be paddles, then programmer, filter, pipe and that's pretty much it. It's plenty fast for me, I've only raced it once against a 660 and beat him. With that said though, I don't care who I beat or who beats me, I just like riding.

I went riding this past weekend in the sand with a buddy and his 2006 700r. He had paddles and all kinds of other stuff done and there wasn't one climb that I wasn't able to do with my stock tires. These weren't dunes or anything, kinda like a 300 acre sand pit.

How do you like your 525? I have a friend who has a KTM 525 XC and although he loves it dearly has had a LOT of problems. (losing 2 head bolts and going through 2 set's of tie-rods and one ball joint) When it's running though...wow is it fast:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/Little%20Sahara/100_6576.jpg

eerhard09
12-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I love the 525. So far no real problems other than some stuff I caused:ermm: I, like you, will never go back to a SRA quad. I love how comfortable it is on the trail and on the sand and how I do not feel beat up at the end of a day of riding! I, also like you, came from a 400, a Z400, and the power and ride comparison is not even close. It isn't a jumper like the Z400 was but that is ok, I was not known to go very big anyway! I could care less who is faster in a straight line, I really can't stand dragging because it really proves nothing other than who would get the holeshot! Besides, I don't like riding only 300ft at a time, not my thing!

SSJEFF
12-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I jump the hell out of mine lol. I got some pretty good air at silver lake last trip.

If the duncan pipe is like the alba which I think it is close, i am running a 162, about 1 turn out and I forget the needle setting. I put the leak jet in though.

scuzz
12-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I love the 525. So far no real problems other than some stuff I caused:ermm: I, like you, will never go back to a SRA quad. I love how comfortable it is on the trail and on the sand and how I do not feel beat up at the end of a day of riding! I, also like you, came from a 400, a Z400, and the power and ride comparison is not even close. It isn't a jumper like the Z400 was but that is ok, I was not known to go very big anyway! I could care less who is faster in a straight line, I really can't stand dragging because it really proves nothing other than who would get the holeshot! Besides, I don't like riding only 300ft at a time, not my thing!

You and I are a lot alike!

TINKRD
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Well last night it wasn’t too cold, I went out for a quick test ride (just up and down the street). I went through 2nd and into 3rd…. it seemed like it lost some low end.
This by no means was enough riding to get a real feel for it. I’ll ride it hard this weekend and do a plug chop to see what everything looks like. While it was in my garage I could blip the throttle and some smoke would come out. Could be running rich???

Will just have to wait till this weekend, ride it hard and do a plug chop to see what’s really going on.

Haven’t had any luck finding a bike shop w/ a 2 drum dyno….

5W0P3
12-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Well last night it wasn’t too cold, I went out for a quick test ride (just up and down the street). I went through 2nd and into 3rd…. it seemed like it lost some low end.
This by no means was enough riding to get a real feel for it. I’ll ride it hard this weekend and do a plug chop to see what everything looks like. While it was in my garage I could blip the throttle and some smoke would come out. Could be running rich???

Will just have to wait till this weekend, ride it hard and do a plug chop to see what’s really going on.

take it to RPM! haha

If you lose to me, you'll know something is wrong.

SSJEFF
12-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Beware that there is an accelerator pump so the smoke may not be the jets. Could be the pump. Anyways, I lost some low end with my alba also.

blbraptor
12-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Amen to that! I sold my Raptor and bought a 700XX and I love it. I can't believe all these guys that get worked up about who's quad is faster in a drag race. If that is all you ride for you are missing out on a lot! Hit the trail for once!

TINKRD
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by blbraptor
Amen to that! I sold my Raptor and bought a 700XX and I love it. I can't believe all these guys that get worked up about who's quad is faster in a drag race. If that is all you ride for you are missing out on a lot! Hit the trail for once!

I’m friends with 5W0P3 and BennyYFZ. We all 3 are into drag racing and going to the track to race our cars, so naturally we like to drag race our quads too. Just a little friendly rivalry to keep things fun. BennyYFZ is able to burn me through tight turns since he has extended axles and A-Arms.

blbraptor
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Well that makes a little more sense then! Ride in some tighter trails and I'd bet that 450 would be up in a tree!