PDA

View Full Version : looking for extended a arms

mattio
11-29-2008, 12:30 PM
i have a 400ex hybrid and was looking for some aftermarket extended a arms if anybody has some for sale let me know

Misfit400ex
11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
The guys at burgard gave me a KILLER deal, try PM'ing "burgard rep" or visiting http://www.burgardcycle.com/

11-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Them arms are at a good price.. Im debatin the +1 forward though.. Alot of people tell me it makes handling worse..

11-30-2008, 10:03 PM
so help me out for those of you that know.. +2 +1's, or just +2's? And black or red arms, or black lowers and rep uppers?

lilyamaharacer4
12-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
so help me out for those of you that know.. +2 +1's, or just +2's? And black or red arms, or black lowers and rep uppers?

+1 is mostly for flat tracking. When you move weight forward you will turn sharper and you will nosedive faster and easier.

12-01-2008, 01:48 PM
so just stick with +2s and +0 forward

12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
i seriously dont get it why do the cheaper a-arms always have +1 forward? whats the point? look at most more expensive brands and they are right not being pushed forward any. it cant be cost why they do it so why? i really wish someone could give me an answer to that question why +1 forward? i'd have aftermarket a-arms by now if there werent so many +1 forward

mooseracerX
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Fox maybe email Burgard and ask them. :)

12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
well burgard says +1 balances out the bike more. With proper camber it will not make turning any worse.

12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
well burgard says +1 balances out the bike more. With proper camber it will not make turning any worse.

this is true when a longer swingarm is added but the 400ex stock is one of the most balanced quads out there. test done on the +1 forward the only quad that handled better was the banshee and all the others were worse. wouldnt it push more in turns though?

lilyamaharacer4
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
this is true when a longer swingarm is added but the 400ex stock is one of the most balanced quads out there. test done on the +1 forward the only quad that handled better was the banshee and all the others were worse. wouldnt it push more in turns though?

No it would bite harder in the corners.

NacsMXer
12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i seriously dont get it why do the cheaper a-arms always have +1 forward? whats the point? look at most more expensive brands and they are right not being pushed forward any. it cant be cost why they do it so why? i really wish someone could give me an answer to that question why +1 forward? i'd have aftermarket a-arms by now if there werent so many +1 forward

+1 forward will lengthen the wheelbase and add stability. Ideally you would want to run that with a longer swinger too but it's not an absolute must. My Roll Design +3+1 arms with the stock swinger handles just fine for me.

mooseracerX
12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
It seems weird to me how a longer wheel base would make it handle better. I just keep thinking of a limo or a bus. lol

lilyamaharacer4
12-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
It seems weird to me how a longer wheel base would make it handle better. I just keep thinking of a limo or a bus. lol

Exact same thing i was thinking.

baker400ex
12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
+2 +1 is a very common set up, on the 400's a lot of guys race mx like that....i did as well.....bike turned fine,jumped even better, w/a xtended swinger it made it an entire differnt bike..they all work together to make one awsome ride

mooseracerX
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I have an extended swinger and I must say it does handle better I think it transfers more weight to the front so it says down more on the line and turns better.

NacsMXer
12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX

Think front to back stability. Going over a set of stutter bumps/whoops a short, stubby quad like a blaster will be a lot more unstable than a more balanced, longer quad like a 250R.

But you're right, you can go TOO far with the length. Stretched out drag quads aren't worth a darn in the handling dept. But little differences like +1 in the front/back can improve the overall handling over stock.

12-02-2008, 02:40 AM
I was thinking goin with +1 forward to help keep the front end down. But i get turned away real quick by all the negative comments about running +1 forward throwing the balance off, needing a longer swinger too, and handling horribly. Especially when Im not on a track and climbing hills wouldnt it keep it more stable?

mooseracerX
12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Think front to back stability. Going over a set of stutter bumps/whoops a short, stubby quad like a blaster will be a lot more unstable than a more balanced, longer quad like a 250R.

But you're right, you can go TOO far with the length. Stretched out drag quads aren't worth a darn in the handling dept. But little differences like +1 in the front/back can improve the overall handling over stock.
Ah I get it now. Yeah I would rather have something +1.25 or +2.25

12-03-2008, 02:40 AM
So does +1 forward make jumping the quad worse?

lilyamaharacer4
12-03-2008, 08:06 AM
So does +1 forward make jumping the quad worse?

I think it would be best with a longer swingarm. With a stock swingarm the front end may want to nosedive a little more but by the sounds of it, it won't want to really badly.

12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
i guess i'll just get normal +2s.. i dunno im in a pickle..

baker400ex
12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
I think it would be best with a longer swingarm. With a stock swingarm the front end may want to nosedive a little more but by the sounds of it, it won't want to really badly.

No,the last thing it would do,would be nose dive...stock swingarms tend to make the bike lean to the rear much more in the air because when you hit a jump the front end naturally is in the air first,and the distance from the time the front wheels lift off to the rear wheels lift off is basically what determines how level your quad is gonna jump...there for adding another 1.25..yes thats very little...but it does make a world of difference and give the bike more time to level out in the air....if that made any sence and yes +2 +1 a arms do the same thing just the swingarm helps out alil more

12-20-2008, 07:36 PM
so +1 forward is fine with a stock swinger. I just wanna make sure before I dump out the cash.

12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I need more input from guys who have ran +1 forward...

NacsMXer
12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
so +1 forward is fine with a stock swinger. I just wanna make sure before I dump out the cash.

Yes it is fine, that is how I run right now. Believe me, I was thinking about the exact same things before I dumped a lot of money on a new front end ;)

The fact of the matter is I can tell no difference in terms of the +1 arms affecting the quad's handling in a negative way vs. the +0 arms. No nose diving in the air off jumps, and no pushing in the corners. Handles just fine.

Granted, in the future, you could always add a +1 swingarm for the IDEAL setup, but I certainly don't feel handicapped riding the quad with a stock swinger at the same time.

12-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I appreciate the input man.. I feel adding a long swinger with the +1's would make the quad feel too long

buster024
12-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I've got +0 forward and +1's wide in the front, and a +2 swinger in the rear. I can tell you for sure the wider arms made slow turns longer, but when I really want stability at high speeds, it was a fantastic improvement over stock. My bike "feels" much more balanced in hill climbs, and I can't help but feel that this was how the bike was supposed to be built. I ride primarily on the trails, with a little dunes, and some basic jumping, and I love my setup versus stock.
I can't comment on what the forward gain would do (I personally wouldnt want to be farther away from my fronts). My opinion is to save a little more dough and find a great set of arms that aren't forward, and then start planning on what brand of swinger you want when your tax returns get here!!