PDA

View Full Version : help!! rear bearings

redrabbit
11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
i got my rear end apart a min. ago to replace the bearings. how in the world do you get the bearings out to replace them??? one side is still good but im going to replace them to.

hondaking52
11-29-2008, 04:25 PM
you gota hit em out from the other side, or if its just the outer race you gota crack it with a chisel of sorts, hope this helps

NJ450rider
11-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah good luck if you have to get the bad bearing out and it just spills its guts. I just tried a few days ago to get the outer race of a bearing out and i couldnt get it to come out even with some heat and a cut off tool. I had to buy a new carrier.

and today after a few hours of riding my trans took a crap too. I have no 2nd or 3rd gear. I thought these quads were bullet proof?

quad2xtreme
11-29-2008, 08:19 PM
this works...been doing it for 8 years.

Put a 2X4 on the garage floor. Put a glove on your hand.

Put the carrier in your gloved hand. Strike the carrier downward on the 2X4. The weight of the steel tube inside the carrier will drive the bearing out.

I just tap the other side out with a socket with an extension on it.

If the bearings break out and leave the outer race in the carrier, use a dremel to get it out. I use a cutoff wheel to cut a groove across the race at an angle.

Don't buy anything but Honda bearings. All the other bearings are crappy Chinese bearings which is why they don't last as long. The carrier being old isn't the problem. My replacement bearings last as long as the original bearing once I stopped buying crap. This includes All Balls and Pivot Works.

86 Quad R
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
take en heat up the carrier with a propane torch in and around the bearing area. the bearing should almost drop out afterwards. otherwise it'll come out easily by tapping it from the oppossing side.

redrabbit
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
ok thanks yall. now i ran into another problem. the hex bolts that hold the carrier in place are froze in place. i broke on of them off trying to get it out. any advice on this. i am afraid of stripping them out by cranking to hard on them