PDA

View Full Version : trimming fenders??

08-01-2001, 10:23 PM
i am fixing to get a 02'400ex with factory effex graphic kit and some other stuff and i want to trim the fenders and i was wondering how to go about doing this?

thanks,
Jon

08-02-2001, 11:58 AM
When I did mine, I carefully marked the fenders with a black marker where I wanted to cut them. Then I cut them with an electric sabre saw. After I had the fenders cut off, I used an electric grinder smooth the cut edge and fix any obvious mistakes made with the sabre saw. Good luck.

08-02-2001, 03:45 PM
use a dry-erase m,arker incase you make a mistake you can wipe it off

inacoma91
08-02-2001, 04:18 PM
I used elecrical tape to mark mine out. Then used a jigsaw to cut it. After that i toke some sandpaper to get the edges. Then I toke a torch to the edge to get all of the frillies off. But ya have to keep that torch moving or else ya will get some melted plastic. It alsogives a shine back to the plastic.

Andrew

08-02-2001, 09:04 PM
I second inacoma's advice.....black electricians tape leaves no residue and you can 'shape' it very nicely to the contour you like. Plus you can do both sides at the same time and visually see if your cut is going to be symetrical or not.

Chadwick

08-04-2001, 05:33 AM
I used pin striping and carefully checked that both sides were the same. Then I used my scroll/jig saw (I made sure it had small teeth on the blade-acually for metal). Then the electric sander did a great job smoothing out the edge.