PDA

View Full Version : C-dale plant shut down.

racerx573
12-15-2002, 03:28 AM
Just to let everyone know the C-dale plant has been shut down temporarily due to slow business. Should be running some time in January.

AtvMxRider
12-15-2002, 06:36 AM
Where did you hear this?

12-15-2002, 07:02 AM
no offense but i think c dale isnt going ot make it in the atv world just because all there 4 wheelers are so high quality they are so damn expensive that not many people can afford them. I think that if they were to come out with a striped down version and sell it for like 5500 they could get alot of sales. Do something like take the motor and efi but it in a steel frame and all that get rid of some of the less imoportant creature comforts and they could make a killing if they were to do this just becasue its basicly the same quad just ina cheaper less expensive frame and not so nice components.
killer

trickster2338
12-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by KiLLeR300EX
no offense but i think c dale isnt going ot make it in the atv world just because all there 4 wheelers are so high quality they are so damn expensive that not many people can afford them. I think that if they were to come out with a striped down version and sell it for like 5500 they could get alot of sales. Do something like take the motor and efi but it in a steel frame and all that get rid of some of the less imoportant creature comforts and they could make a killing if they were to do this just becasue its basicly the same quad just ina cheaper less expensive frame and not so nice components.
killer

i agree but really the aluminum frame is what makes the cannondale different. if they could i think they should strip it down and try to keep the aluminum frame if possible. and your right if they lowered the price they would get alot of sales. especially because i hear that their service is great too.

12-15-2002, 09:29 AM
I think it will be back up, I think thi and next year will be when most people begin to buy all the c-dale's. Cuz fi you think about it veryone waits about a year or 2 and see how the get in the reviews and stuff. So once racing season come sback in I think there will bne more racers and riders. We'll see thats all u can say.

YamaWarr0121
12-15-2002, 09:54 AM
whenever i hear of the cdale shutting down it sounds the same as the buell company, (harlyes little brothers) alluminum framed, fuel injected, and having money problems b/c they over price there bikes but i really hope they get back up i gotta buy one next season!!

AlaskaSpeed
12-15-2002, 11:25 AM
killer

The day Cannondale takes advice from a pre-pubescent teenager that can't spell, is the day I burn mine.....:D

You just stick to riding that beginner's quad and let the grown-ups decide what we can or cannot afford there, Sparky. I think the quad you are describing is already made and you are riding it....I believe Cannondale is on the right track and giving us what we have asked the big 3 to produce for many years, I doubt you know too much about running a business...only your mouth..........JIM

Nausty
12-15-2002, 11:34 AM
that doesn't sound good, I sure hope cannondale doesn't throw in the towel within the next few years.

Dale512
12-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Maybe Cannondale should make a version of the Cannibal with a 39mm FCR and sell it for around 6000.

OutlawEX
12-15-2002, 11:41 AM
Its sorta of a sad scene to them go for the time being..It seems like right now would be the busiest time of th year for them..Because now everyone is wanting their 03 for the next race season and then u got wifes buying quads for their kids or husbands...

just my 2 cents

Steve-o 400EX
12-15-2002, 11:51 AM
I think the C-dale machines are really nice, but just too much money, all they need is a slightly more affordable one and I bet it would sell better than anything out there, its just that most people dont have that kinda green to fork out on an atv.

beerock
12-15-2002, 12:17 PM
I think they shut down the plant to save a little money thats all....

I feel bad for there workers....

12-15-2002, 12:18 PM
hopefully the prices will down & ..I"ll buy me a moto :D

killer ds650
12-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed

The day Cannondale takes advice from a pre-pubescent teenager that can't spell, is the day I burn mine.....:D

You just stick to riding that beginner's quad and let the grown-ups decide what we can or cannot afford there, Sparky. I think the quad you are describing is already made and you are riding it....I believe Cannondale is on the right track and giving us what we have asked the big 3 to produce for many years, I doubt you know too much about running a business...only your mouth..........JIM
aparently other people think the same way as me tell my that 8000 for a quad isnt a lil bit expensive. I can go get a 1300 cc streeet bike that has alot more uses for 10 grad canondale is making a fortune on us. They are over priced but we still buy them GOD I LOVE AMERICA lol but what ever if you think i am lil pre-pubescent teenager go right ahaed and think that casue im not gonna stop you
killer

AlaskaSpeed
12-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by killer ds650

aparently other people think the same way as me tell my that 8000 for a quad isnt a lil bit expensive. I can go get a 1300 cc streeet bike that has alot more uses for 10 grad canondale is making a fortune on us. They are over priced but we still buy them GOD I LOVE AMERICA lol but what ever if you think i am lil pre-pubescent teenager go right ahaed and think that casue im not gonna stop you
killer

uhhhh...ok.....lmao

Taco
12-15-2002, 02:23 PM

killer
Last time i checked MSRP on a Cannibal was only $6995 and I cant remember the last time i paid MSRP on a quad or vehicle. If you compare all of the standard features you are getting a bargain. You tell me what other quad you can buy that is race ready out of the box for 10k:huh

AlaskaSpeed
12-15-2002, 02:28 PM

killer

you can't even afford a Cannibal, htf are you going to afford a 1300cc street bike? And tell me how many uses it has?......LOL

killed300ex
12-15-2002, 02:33 PM

you can't even afford a Cannibal, htf are you going to afford a 1300cc street bike? And tell me how many uses it has?......LOL

WEll now u cant type but i never said i can afford either but the strret bike can be used for transportation right out of the box its alot more economical to buy that thana quad and its just a personal opinion this is the last time im responding tothis thread casue im obviously hated by you but its like wise to you so please stay out of my threads and ill stay out of yours later
killed

Taco
12-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex

WEll now u cant type but i never said i can afford either but the strret bike can be used for transportation right out of the box its alot more economical to buy that thana quad and its just a personal opinion this is the last time im responding tothis thread casue im obviously hated by you but its like wise to you so please stay out of my threads and ill stay out of yours later
killed

The way I see it you just need to get your facts straight.:D

and what is wrong with his typing? I understand fine.

AlaskaSpeed
12-15-2002, 02:43 PM
LMAO....you don't need to make up another alias to try and insult me.....I can't make out most of what you say without my 3 year old reading it for me, but good bye....:D

Tommy 17
12-15-2002, 02:45 PM
jay knows bc his friend kyle is the test rider...

personally i like the c-dales but i don't like the idea of the moto 440 or blaze... u can buy a cannibal or speed and put the extra mods on it with better name brand parts and shocks valved for ur weight for the same price... i think they should drop the moto 440 and blaze from the line up... but thats just me...

AlaskaSpeed
12-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Tommy,
I think they should drop the motorcycles, Moto and Blaze. Really, you only need to make a couple models and I agree that you can mod them like you want for same cost or less. Most people that would buy a Cannondale are mechanically inclined enough to work on it, so you are thinking along the same lines as me...........JIM

Guy400
12-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Taco

Last time i checked MSRP on a Cannibal was only $6995 and I cant remember the last time i paid MSRP on a quad or vehicle. If you compare all of the standard features you are getting a bargain. You tell me what other quad you can buy that is race ready out of the box for 10k:huh I agree. Including tax I paid somewhere in the area of $6000-$6300 and that included the front Ohlins. There is NO other quad on the market right now that you could buy new for that kind of value. Feature for feature Cannondale is way ahead of their competition. Cannondale went too far too fast. They should've kept the Speed (which is just an updated FX400) and made the Cannibal a little more wallet friendly. Remove some of the fancy stuff (ITP rims, hydraulic clutch, stainless steel brake lines, etc.) and lower the MSRP to $6499. This puts the Cannibal at the same price range as a Raptor and you still get the same frame and engine as the higher priced Dale lineup. This allows the build-it-from-scratch riders a cheaper Cannondale platform to start from. I also think that the entire Blaze and Moto line should be scrapped. Sales aren't high enough to justify their existance and this would allow the streamlining of the Speed/Cannibal production, ultimately, saving Cannondale money.

Taco
12-15-2002, 03:05 PM
they need to drop alot of the bike models also.

Guy400
12-15-2002, 03:07 PM
As far as I'm concerned they can axe the entire dirtbike lineup.

400exRacerX
12-15-2002, 03:44 PM
I kinda agree with Tommy and Alaskaspeed, but i think the only reason for Cannondale producing the moto and blaze is for them to state that they have completely race ready bikes off the showroom floor. The quad racing scene is trying to go back to factory backed racing.

cjpoole1
12-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Got this off a news site:

Bicycle maker begins layoffs

Bicycle maker Cannondale Corp. is laying off more than 80 percent of its 625 employees at two Bedford County plants through mid-January, citing a cash shortage and a slowdown in orders. The company, based in Bethel, Conn., shut down its Bedford fabrication department on Monday, but work at its assembly and stitching departments will continue through Dec. 20. Plant manager Larry Sarver said he expected the workers to be called back in four or five weeks.

Rastus
12-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Why start flaming the guy when he's stating his opinion on here?

I thought we were allowed to post our comments and suggestions on here, but AlaskaSpeed seems to think that just because he doesn't have a C-Dale he can't say his views.

Over-all, I think your being a real * you know what about this* AlaskaSpeed.

But what do I know....I only have a 250X.....:rolleyes:

Sure, C-Dales are nice....but some other models with not-so-identical things would be nice.

DEAL
12-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Cannondale wasted so much money desiging and producing the moto.
I mean its a sweet quad and all, but how many people have 12 grand to spend on a quad.
They have 5 diffrent models ... they are baisically all the same quad other than diffrent mapping, suspension, and little add ons like nerfs etc ..
Thats a total waste of money to produce 5 diffrent models when most people are just buying the Cannibal and hopping it up and saving money over buying a moto, blaze, speed, glamis etc.....
They should sell the cannibal .. and sell add-ons made by cannondale that the buyer can add on if wanted.
If they wanted to save $$ thats the move they will make.

And look , for years people have been crying for a "race ready" quad that you can buy right off the showroom floor, and what happends when someone produces one?
No one buys it. (Moto)

toby400ex
12-15-2002, 09:31 PM
alaskaspeed, what did you start out on or have before your dale, i have a feeling most people that arent out school dont hav much of a chance of buying a dale, unless their parents bought them a quad that they can sell, then save some cash, and have parents buy them a car since they spent all their money on a dale, we all start out a bit lower in power than what we have now.

RIDER11X
12-15-2002, 09:39 PM
killer

ALUMINUM MUST NOT COST MUCH MORE THAN STEEL TO MANUFACTURE, BECAUSE HONDA BUILDS THE ALUMINUM FRAMED CR LINE AT NEARLY IDENTICAL PRICES AS THEIR STEEL FRAMED COMPETITORS. I THINK MOST PEOPLE WANT A QUAD THAT THEY CAN WORK ON WITHOUT BREAKING OUT THE LAPTOP TO TROUBLESHOOT IT! :rolleyes:

HONDA55
12-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Cannondale frame will cost you anywhere from$ 2200 to$1800. I was told the moto and blaze were the only models cannondale was making any money off of.

Castor-426ex
12-15-2002, 10:14 PM
like it says..they are only slowing down to help cost...as most production lines normally do at the end of the year...
I dont think Dale will ever be out of the quad market...
and actually...they arent really that expensive when you consider the options and high tech goodies on it...

race ready out of the box...

honda350r
12-15-2002, 10:17 PM
I seen this comming before they came out a quad ... Their bicycles are rediculiouly priced also...

You can't compete with Honda or the others that have been doing this stuff for 50 years! (Motorcycles anyway)

The dales have had lots of problems and must have cost them a fortune!!

I rode one for the first time and thought it was nice! Though I wouldn't run out and buy one....

You have to produce numbers in the 100s of thousands to make money!!

Jim

sduncan
12-15-2002, 11:19 PM
I don't like to hear the news of the layoff and rumors of a shutdown any more than anyone else, especially considering that I will be looking for a new quad around this summer. I have looked very hard at the Cannibal and the Speed but couldn't bring myself to buy one when there is a potential for the company to stop production of the ATV line or even possibly fail entirely. Pay attention to the stock market to really see how they are doing in the real world.
I currently own a 400EX and a Z400. The EX will become my daughters and the Z is my wife's quad. That leaves me looking for a quad. I won't buy a new Honda unless its the new "fantasy" that everyone is wishing for. I'd eat a bullet before owning a Raptor. A DS650 is too heavy but is a remote possibility. The new Kawi 700 is an auto(thank you NO!!). So that leaves Cannondale and Suzuki. If I was buying tomorrow, I'd have to go with the Z and mod it based on the unstability of Cannondale at the present. I really hate to say that because the 'Dales are very nice machines and I understand why they command the price that they do. We have only one dealer in town who happens to be a friend of mine. $6900 is the going rate for a Cannibal. I can really do up a Z for that same money and Suzuki isn't going anywhere. Even a DS can be had new for a good price and can be mildly modded to run very well. So have I made up my mind? HE$% NO!! But a decision will have to be made soon. Hopefully Cannondale can end up stronger than ever and roll on for years. Time will tell....

12-16-2002, 12:02 AM
I guess i have learned 3 things from this thread

1. Cannondale is having a slightly longer than normal layoff (many manufacturing co's have a two week shut down for the holidays)

2. People still speak before they think

3. Not everyone can afford the most tech advanced quad.

C'mon guys you have to agree that c-dale does give you a lot for what you pay and especially with the Cannibal and Speed. For a grand or two more than a basic performance machine you get one he!! of a hi reving and powerfull EFI motor in a full aluminum frame with shocks that arent garbage like the competition and it even all works right together.

I think they are a true bargain and the most advanced machine I have seen yet. Remember when the Raptors were first out and people were paying $7500.00+ for them, I do and I will not even compare the two quads.

I do agree that the bikes may be a loosing battle but I have seen more than one guy who had the cash and just had to have the best or most expensive quad made so I guess they do sell a few moto's etc.

For the few who dont seem to undrstand business I will tell you that timing is everything and the fact that Cannondale finally got their quads "right" just when the economy is getting a little ugly and our country is finding reasons to go to war isnt helping them at all. Did you know that the original Jet ski's or wave runners etc were designed and built in the 40's or 50's and the guy went broke real fast. It took about another 40 years for his ideas to become profitable.

So yes timining is everything and lets hope that cannondales wasnt as bad as you all make it seem.

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Should give em time to design a MUCH BETTER LOOK!!!!!!!:Dthey look like a newt,lol,good machines ,just very ugly:rolleyes:

Ride400
12-16-2002, 02:23 PM

you really are an ******* for no reason. all he was doing was stating his opinion and you come in and start making these bull**** comments not even knowing how long hes been riding or what he can do. grow a **** and two **** and try not to be a ******* to everyone.

AtvMxRider
12-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Ride400

you really are an ******* for no reason. all he was doing was stating his opinion and you come in and start making these bull**** comments not even knowing how long hes been riding or what he can do. grow a **** and two **** and try not to be a ******* to everyone.

:D :blah

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 03:11 PM
all u guys saying that cannondales are way over priced and need to be stripped down so they will be cheaper are idiots. I purchased my ex brandnew about 7 months ago and I wish I would have purchased a cannibal every day sense then. 6995 isn't a bad price at all when you figure how dominate they are compared to the other sport quads. I have sunk about $2000 in after market parts in my ex and it still wouldn't touch a dale. I haven't even touched my motor yet either. The retail on an ex and a Z are 5699, you can take the other 1300 you would have extra and put it straight in your motor alone and you will still be seeing the back tires of a cannibal. Even if the Z or EX is faster after the 1300 of motor work it still won't touch the dale on a track. The cannibal comes equipped with good suspension, tons of power, and holeshot tires out the door. Not to mention an hydraulic clutch that will run you about $250 bucks. I think cannondales are a great buy. There the best thing that after happened to this sport and it really dissapoints me to read what I have just read. My mom asked me the other day what would be the first thing I purchased if I won the lottery. That was so easy to anwser, it would deffinetely be a moto440. You could probaly never make an ex that good and if you did it would run you about 20000 bucks. Same for the Z400! So I think I have made my point here. Cannondales are awesome quads and aren't even close to being over priced!

AtvMxRider
12-16-2002, 03:18 PM
I've said it a million times I don't care what kind of quad you have it has everything to do with the rider. I've beaten several dales on the track so I don't want to hear they are the best quad out there. JMO

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 03:34 PM

You just stick to riding that beginner's quad and let the grown-ups decide what we can or cannot afford there, Sparky. I think the quad you are describing is already made and you are riding it....I believe Cannondale is on the right track and giving us what we have asked the big 3 to produce for many years, I doubt you know too much about running a business...only your mouth..........JIM gotta chip on your shoulder "much",If I spent that much on a stock quad,I'd be in denial too:rolleyes:

AlaskaSpeed
12-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Ride400

STFU....who asked you for your opinion? And what makes your reply to something that annoyed you ANY different than what I did? You morons need to start thinking before you whine about other people's replies. Last I checked, you weren't involved, so quit crying and simmer down............JIM

AlaskaSpeed
12-16-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
gotta chip on your shoulder "much",If I spent that much on a stock quad,I'd be in denial too:rolleyes:

For one, you don't know how much I spent on my Speed, and I it really wouldn't matter now would it? All of the dumb *** punks can voice their idiotic opinions, so can I. If I hear bs, I'll call you on it and if you can't take it, go cry to someone else. JIM

Rastus
12-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Your the oldest baby I've ever seen.

:rolleyes: :p

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 03:59 PM
No dought about it,.....talk about whiner boy:rolleyes: LMAO ,some ppl's kids,someone got the whiners panties all bunched up in a wad

AlaskaSpeed
12-16-2002, 04:05 PM
LMAO....one day you dumb *** kids will get it...or not..........:D

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 04:11 PM
well im 31 pal,if thats how you talk to kids....you got bigger problems then w/ just the ppl on this site....ya punk!!!!!!!:mad:

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I've said it a million times I don't care what kind of quad you have it has everything to do with the rider. I've beaten several dales on the track so I don't want to hear they are the best quad out there. JMO your statement is about 30% accurate. If you put Jeremiah Jones on a 250ex I bet an average rider on a cannondale could probaly take him. Rider does mean alot but if you take laptimes on a dale vs any other quad on the market your times on the dale will be faster. That's the point I am makeing. It alot of rider, but it's also alot of quad that makes you as fast as you are!

AlaskaSpeed
12-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
well im 31 pal,if thats how you talk to kids....you got bigger problems then w/ just the ppl on this site....ya punk!!!!!!!:mad:

Show me the way......lmao...I doubt you would expect anyone to just take your crap whether you are 31, or 15. I also doubt that you would want to have a problem with me.........JIM

AtvMxRider
12-16-2002, 04:19 PM
LMAO....one day you dumb *** kids will get it...or not..........:D

Maybe you should get it dumbass!

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Its just WAY to bad I cant let you try and say that to my eyeball,ya thro-back slack-jawed hick!You just keep enjoyin' yourself

AlaskaSpeed
12-16-2002, 04:31 PM
you are quite the man on the keyboard...lol.....and yes, it is too bad........JIM

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 04:51 PM
we'll see ya real soon:D

JTRtrx250r
12-16-2002, 05:19 PM
Its been confirmed,I'll be up in Anchorage to visit friends on the 20th of Feb,we'll get together and have a little talk huh?!:D ;)

AtvMxRider
12-16-2002, 05:25 PM
:eek: :blah

Guy400
12-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Ugh...