PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start my quad and....nothing!

sheriff525
11-27-2008, 10:37 PM
So I went out riding with some buddies and we were at the top of the hill and we stopped to look at a view and I went back to my quad and tried to start it and nothing. The tail lights were not coming on or anything so I realized it is a faulty connection. I havent pulled it apart yet to find out but it would work if I wiggled around the connections. It got really annoying as everytime I had to start the quad I had to wiggle the connections. The fan and all the lights didn't work properly too. I think it has wiggled loose on the battery from the factory. I will let you know. Has anyone else had this?

Also clutch went completely. Make sure your oil is not over filled. I think I put too much in this round.

Polaris 450MXR
11-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Mine has done it numberous times and has always been the battery positive cable. The battery must feed a charge to the ignition wear the bike usually starts to spit and sputter when driving it with a loose terminal.

montycarlo
11-28-2008, 09:13 AM
You sound like you had a bad day.

My Yamaha Warrior lost all electrical function, but would push-start. First night at the Glamis dunes 2003 Thanksgiving time. Lighted flag pole got loose and smashed wiring to grab bar & blew the fuse.

Try that. Not sure where to look on an outlaw though!

525Outlaw#55
11-28-2008, 01:08 PM
My 525 has done it quite a few times and my buddy's 450 does as well. They both still do from time to time. On both of them it has always been the positive terminal screw on the battery wigglin loose. I just check it from time to time and tighten it back down to avoid havin to do it in the middle of riding, pain in the butt though I know

montycarlo
11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
The first time that battery bolt wiggles loose on me I think I will put a drop of loctite on the nut threads.

sheriff525
11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
yeah it was kind of a bad day...actually I was excited because now there is something I can work on!

It was really interesting once my clutch blew because I was leaning over the front wiggiling the wire, while hitting the start button and then in second gear the quad would move forward till it almost caught life when i had to use my shoulder to hit the gas to get it going. It was fun. ya do what you have to when your in the middle of no where. I would hate to have to push it out.

525Outlaw#55
11-29-2008, 09:10 AM
That sounds like somethin along the lines of my luck. We do a good bit of EDT/TT and MX racing here, and a buddy of mine was in the middle of a race when his positive cable decided to wiggle loose so he was sittin in the middle of the track and we were all doing hand gestures to reach under the plastic on the left side to wiggle the wires, needless to say he didn't have a clue what we were doin, it was pretty amusing to say the least