PDA

View Full Version : No fire..water problems?

Toddmac
11-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi, I have a question for my fellow 250r riders. I have an 88 Trx250R. Took it riding the other day and all was good, power washed it and parked it.
Went to start it and discovered I had gotten water in it, pulled the plug and it had water (clean water from me washing it) around the electrode.
So I am working to resolved that stupid ordeal and discovered she has no spark now, with a new plug grounded to the head bolts and everywhere else I can reach and try it.
I have checked the stator leads with an ohm meter and it appears all is well, checked the kill switch and its good, coil test good too.
I did noticed when I pulled the cover off to check and make sure the stator didn't break a wire, there was dirty water in the cover, not a huge amount, but enough to make a small puddle in behind the flywheel.
Do you think even though the ohm readings are ok, that the water has done something to the stator? I am assuming the flywheel has magnets on the back, maybe mud is on them? I'm open to any ideas as electrical ain't my friend by any means. I don't have a puller right now so I haven't yanked the flywheel and if there is no need, then I want to skip it.
Ideas? I read all the other posts about them not firing but I didn't see one that had possible been douched with mud/water.
Thanks gang!

GOTFEAR
11-27-2008, 10:43 PM
sounds like water is grounding it out you need to air blow the stater dry maybe dry also

trx310R#24
11-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
sounds like water is grounding it out you need to air blow the stater dry maybe dry also

iv ran bikes with the stator side full of water...

i really dont think the problem is in the stator/fly wheel the only way id think that is if the stator just went bad or the fly wheel key got chiped some how..

how are you checking for spark it takes a hard kick to get a 250r to spark you pushing it with your hand is not going to do it...

connectors make sure they are all good no rust or anything... i washed mine one time an it would not start so i checked the ground an it was bad..

o maybe your cdi went...

if you find the problem post it

Toddmac
11-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I have been kicking it over like normal. I thought today I might pull the flywheel and have a look, just seems odd.
It was fine when we rode and then now that it sat, nada in the spark department.
I'm thinking it's something I did washing it or the mud/water I found in the stator area. If you rode with alot of water in the stator area then I guess that shouldn't be it...: (

CDI and coil are both pretty new...like a year ago anyway. I think I'm gonna get me some electrical contact cleaner/sealer and clean up all connections too. Dang I hate electrical issues! I can work on most mechanical things but when it becomes electrical, I get a cold chill up my spine. The bad thing is, it's not like the 250R has a really major electrical system, it's about as basic as it can get.
I think it's punishing me for getting water in it when I washed it off :grr:

g9901920
11-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I bet its the gas... drain it and fill it back up with new gas and im almost positive that will be it, i have had the same problem checked everything and then i finally tried the most simple solution and changed the gas and that was the problem.
good luck!

Aceman
11-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by g9901920
I bet its the gas... drain it and fill it back up with new gas and im almost positive that will be it, i have had the same problem checked everything and then i finally tried the most simple solution and changed the gas and that was the problem.
good luck!

Seriously? You think if he uses fresh fuel his engine will magically start sparking again?

To give you the benefit of the doubt, if by "fresh fuel" you mean pull the flywheel, blow dry the stator, spray it with wd40 and put it all back together. Then take apart all the electrical connections, check for corrosion and put them all back together with dielectric grease, then yes, "fresh fuel" will help.;)

P.S. Try a new plug too.

Toddmac
11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
LOL...well today on the way home from work I went by the dealership and grabbed a flywheel puller and then some electrical contact cleaner and a tube of dielectric grease so we are thinking the same anyways! I decided while I'm checkin wires, I might was well pull all connections, clean em and grease em and maybe prevent this down the road.

Tomorrow I will get into the stator and see what she looks like, the dealer also told me the min max voltages to do a peak voltage test but I don't know that my meter will do that. Gonna start with the clean up and dryout first and go from there. I had put on a new plug to test with so hopefully I will return tomorrow with good news.

If that doesn't work, be listening for the distinct sound of a 45 cal shot to ring out from the KC area cause I'm sure that's gonna be an option.

Thanks for the ideas and info! I will keep ya posted.

Toddmac
11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok..I'm getting my @ss kicked by this thing. Is the flywheel nut normally a ***** to get off? I have the bike in 5th gear, have my kid holding down front and rear brakes and I can't get the nut off, I am assuming it's normal threads? Lefty loosey, righty tighty??

I don't want to ding up my crank for sure, but my book doesn't say anything other than remove the nut...maybe it's talking about me?!

I have an impact wrench but throwing that kind of vibration on the crank kinda bothers me, but if it's normally done that way then I will have at it.

Thanks!

g9901920
11-29-2008, 12:33 AM
my bad yall i just read the title and it said it wasnt fireing.
i thought he had spark.
sorry!

Aceman
11-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Toddmac
Ok..I'm getting my @ss kicked by this thing. Is the flywheel nut normally a ***** to get off? I have the bike in 5th gear, have my kid holding down front and rear brakes and I can't get the nut off, I am assuming it's normal threads? Lefty loosey, righty tighty??

I almost positive it's standard thread, but it's been a while since I removed mine. Your best bet is to look at the the threads on the puller to verify.

Originally posted by Toddmac
I have an impact wrench but throwing that kind of vibration on the crank kinda bothers me, but if it's normally done that way then I will have at it.

I used an impact on mine, the hammering action helps unseat the flywheel hub from the taper. Be DAMN SURE you threaded the puller in as far as it'll go, if you strip the threads, life as you know it is over. My flywheel was pretty rusty so I threaded my puller in-out several times using WD40 getting it to slowly screw in farther and farther until it finally bottomed out.:huh

trx310R#24
11-29-2008, 12:17 PM
im pact will work... i dont even think you will have to put it in gear cuz it hits it so hard... the treads are normal.. just hit it with the impact with it in N a few times an it will spin it off... an try with some w-d40

Toddmac
11-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Holy crapin crapola! I got me some spark again. Pulled the flywheel off via impact wrench and sprayed it all down, didn't see anything too obvious to be honest but non the less, sprayed it and let it dry, did it again and reassembled and she fires now.

I will go grab some gas this evening and see if she will run again, this really had me worked up cause I just ordered 4 new tires, put on new nerfs and rejetted for the winter and then she did this.

I washed it and got water in the motor...long stupid story. I had cleaned it up and had put the original air box lid on to wash the bike, it normally has no airbox lid, just a prefilter on the filter. So I put the lid on, washed off the bike. Then pulled the airfilter and cleaned it, had it out drying and I discovered more mud under the fenders. I blasted it off and then as I walked in the garage...I looked over at my airfilter and went Ohhh Sh*t!!!! So I checked the airbox and there was a little water in the inlet but it didn't seem as wet as I thought it might be.....dried it off and put the bike in the garage.
Went to start it and she wouldn't run so I pulled the plug and it had what looked like very clean water around the electrode. I kicked the engine over and it sprayed out some water/fuel mix so I sprayed in some starting fluid and let it sit over night with the plug out.
Tried to start it again and she still water fouled the plug so then I yanked the fenders and checked the radiator and it's still full up so I assume I didn't blow the head gasket out. Then in the process I decided to check for fire....not sure why but I did and discovered this ordeal you guys helped me with.
I also wondered if I got a batch of crap gas so I have drained the tank and the float bowl. Hopefully with some luck she is gonna fire up for me.
We have only had it a few months and rode it only about 3 times, the motor is a 310 built in Arizona at ATV Racing and it was just rebuilt before we got it so I'm still in break in mode. I'm looking forward to when we can cut this thing loose and see what she does!
Thanks again for all the help everyone! Todd

Toddmac
11-29-2008, 07:08 PM
OK...I'm back with more questions..sorry.
I got the bike to fire up for a few seconds..about 3 to exact. Pulled the plug and muddy water once again. My question is...before I wrestle the carb off and maybe the reed cage, IF I got water in the exhaust around one of the couplers, would the engine be capable of sucking IN water from the exhaust? I'm thinkin the exhaust should always be under positive pressure when it's being kicked or running and any water should have went out the back.

Just wanted to see what you guys think, I had the carb open on top today and also changed the main jet for some cool weather riding and it looked nice and clean, but I'm wondering if theres a bunch of crap around the reed cage maybe...it's downhill from the carb.

I appreciate any help...PS, my leg is tired...very tired. Anyone live near KC and want to come kick this b1tch for awhile?

Thanks!

Toddmac
11-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Anyone? Bueller?