PDA

View Full Version : swingarm axle bolt!

bert400
11-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Ok, so i gotta get a new bolt because i had to cut the old bolt out because it was seized so bad. What I wanted to know is if anyone can give me the measurements for the bolt. I was gonna go to my local hardware store and get a steel bolt a lock nut. I dont want another stock bolt because its hollow in the middle. If anyone has, or can give me, the width of the bolt at least, and the length that'd be great!

Thanks,
Nick

leasureryan
11-27-2008, 10:37 PM
there is a reason it is hollow....double surfaces(tube style) are stronger, becasue they have 2 walls to support. They are made this way for a reason. Replacing this with a soild rod would be retarded. Afterall...you think you can design better than the manufacturer? They do things a certain way for a reason, they have been in this buiness doing this stuff for a long time.

bert400
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
well if they knew what they were doing why didnt they insert a grease fitting so the bolt wouldnt seize in there after one ride through some water? Listen, all I wanted to know is the measurments, not why I should or shouldnt use one or the other.
Not trying to be a dick, but come on.

hornetgod13
11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by leasureryan
there is a reason it is hollow....double surfaces(tube style) are stronger, becasue they have 2 walls to support. They are made this way for a reason. Replacing this with a soild rod would be retarded. Afterall...you think you can design better than the manufacturer? They do things a certain way for a reason, they have been in this buiness doing this stuff for a long time.

I seriously doubt a hollow bolt is not stronger than solid bolt made of the same material. Do you have actual facts to support this?
I replaced mine stuck stock bolt with a stainless steel solid one and have never looked back.
Honda does design excellent motorcycles and ATVs but, their design team and engineers dropped the ball on the swingarm bolt construction. I doubt you'll find one stock 400EX out there with an original bolt that's not stuck or frozzen in place. Most stock swingarm bolts require one or more of the following to remove them: a 5 pound sledge, penetrating oil, an impact gun, air hammer, hack saw, dremel, saws-all, blow torch, and a lot or curse words.
Honda dropped the ball on the swingarm bolt. Plain and simple!

jfwyatt
11-28-2008, 09:42 AM
i keep antiseize on mine and have never had any trouble and its constantly in mud and water. im still using the original bolt.

leasureryan
11-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I seriously doubt a hollow bolt is not stronger than solid bolt made of the same material. Do you have actual facts to support this?
I replaced mine stuck stock bolt with a stainless steel solid one and have never looked back.
Honda does design excellent motorcycles and ATVs but, their design team and engineers dropped the ball on the swingarm bolt construction. I doubt you'll find one stock 400EX out there with an original bolt that's not stuck or frozzen in place. Most stock swingarm bolts require one or more of the following to remove them: a 5 pound sledge, penetrating oil, an impact gun, air hammer, hack saw, dremel, saws-all, blow torch, and a lot or curse words.
Honda dropped the ball on the swingarm bolt. Plain and simple!

If you seriously don't belive a it's stronger....go look up "structural integrity" hell...maybe even architectual stuff will tell you. I knew atleast one of you would question that. Everyone always thinks I just make **** up....whatever....belive what you want.

They all seize....it's what they do. Go ahead and replace it with a solid bolt. Odds are...you don't ride hard enough to break it anyways...haha

hornetgod13
11-28-2008, 11:07 AM
If you seriously don't belive a it's stronger....go look up "structural integrity" hell...maybe even architectual stuff will tell you. I knew atleast one of you would question that. Everyone always thinks I just make **** up....whatever....belive what you want.

Wow! I didn't expect you to get bent out of shape.

I do not need to do any research. I have plenty of experience as a jet aircraft mechanic in the Navy. I'm specifically trained to work on aircraft structures. Working onboard 6 different Aircraft Carriers and jet aircraft that are exposed to salt water on a daily basis, has made me pretty knowledgable on corrosion identification and metal fatigue. With my training, experience, and common sense it's obvious which will bend or break first. A 14mm diameter thick walled tube verus a 14mm solid bar made of the same material. Solid beats hollow everytime. Trust me!

brian76708
11-28-2008, 11:26 AM

They all seize....it's what they do. Go ahead and replace it with a solid bolt. Odds are...you don't ride hard enough to break it anyways...haha

what you are trying to say doesn't make any scents why would a hollow bult be stronger then a solid one. the only reason i can see them using the hollow one is for reducing weight and it is not necessary for a stronger one but when i do mine i definitely am not going to put a oem one in when i can just go to a hardware store and get a better one thats probably cheaper.

PUREBREED450R
11-28-2008, 02:11 PM
EVERYONE IS RIGHT

HOLLOW BOLT...

SOLID BOLT....

WE ALL KNOW THAT WE SHOULD PUT GREASE ON THESE THINGS EITHER WAY? COME ON YOU KNOW IT.....

IF YOUR RIDING "HARD"...WELL SLIDE IT OUT AT THE END OF THE DAY OR WEEKEND OR WHATEVER AND WIPE IT DOWN, INSPECT IT AND SLAP GREASE ON IT AND PUT IT BACK IN. MAINTENCE SHOULD BE DONE NO MATTER WHAT NO MATTER WHAT MACHINE..... RIGHT?

SHAWN BROWN

bry14661
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
get the stock bolt. i have the perfect mod for it. ill post it later. youll regret it if you dont do as i tell you haha

2muchquad
11-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but come on.

LMAO:D

buck440
11-29-2008, 07:39 AM
just stick your finger in there when your riding and well all be happy:D

deathman53
11-29-2008, 06:54 PM
there is nothing wrong with the stock bolts. You aren't gonna break them unless something is wrong. Yes, I did break 3 swingarm bolts, my swingarm bearings were shot or driven out of the pressed fit in all three cases. Trx250r - they were shot, hybrid- swingarm bearing were driven out by the swingarm design and nothing to hold the bearings in and they blew themselves apart. Fixed the problem in the hybrid, by going with delron plastic bushings(can't get driven out and locked in on the other side). Since I haven't had any problems. The way to keep them from getting seized is remove them on a regular basis and coat with anti-seize. A solid bolt has a tendancy to bend over time, a hollow bolt has more rigidity to it and almost as much strength.

leasureryan
11-29-2008, 07:35 PM
oh yeah.....oh yeah! Way to BE MY MAN!. See...here is another smart fella...much UNLIKE the not so smart NAVY dick...who worked on jet engines...and thinks that nobody can teach an old dog new tricks...or flat out can't be tought anything anynore cuz he knows it all. People are so funny. Whatever bro....use your soild bolt.....I'll be at my house...chuckling to myself and pointing my finger at you

hornetgod13
11-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Leasureryan you amaze me. I used to think you were some what intelligent but, after reading your last few posts I'm convinced otherwise. You have issues with anyone with a different opinion than yours and your lack intelligence is evident in your inability to articulate your thoughts with out resorting to to foul language. Additionally, I would suggest you go back to school and learn how to spell because your posts are painful to read.

I'm not too old to learn. I'm proud to say at 38 years of age I continue to learn and I'm not stubborn at all. I just have issues with young "think they know it alls" spouting out incorrect information and fear someone might think you're right.

I suggest, in the future, you rethink and reread your posts before clicking "Submit Reply"

sc400ex_rider
11-30-2008, 07:07 AM
they sell the 400ex solid stainless steel bolts on ebay maybe you could ask them the exact dimensions for a "project" its kinda lame but i will do anything to get the end result.

hornetgod13
11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
I just measured a spare stock bolt I have with a digital caliper and came up with the following measurements

Total length (including head and threaded areas): 280mm
Shank diameter: 15mm
Threaded area diameter: 14mm (narrows at end of shank)
Shank length from base of bolt head to the start of the threaded area: 252mm
Length of threaded area 20mm