PDA

View Full Version : next year new alum. frame & fuel injection for 450r

RATPACK Z400
11-27-2008, 08:22 AM
think its going to happen?would be wise for honda since all the other brands got it!

CR500rider
11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
you would think that since honda was the first to make an aluminum frame on the motocross bikes that they wouldnt be the last ones to make aluminum quad frames, unless there is a reason for it. like maybe honda knows that aluminum wouldnt be good for a quad frame? they can keep the damn FI also. I like carbs........lighter, less BS to deal with and more reliable IMO

73watermutt
11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
We can all hope

BlaineKaiser450
11-27-2008, 05:35 PM
i dont want either of those :ermm:

MX450
11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
If they would build a stronger frame (like the LTR) that doesnt need a gusset kit, either steel or aluminum, put a swinger and link combo that doesnt need to be changed, and keep the carb, they would have to perfect bike IMO, cause as far as mx goes everything else is gonna get changed anyway.

GOTFEAR
11-27-2008, 10:29 PM
if the frame is strong i bet its heavy

ti2ibal1
11-28-2008, 11:06 AM
When Honda releases a FI 450r, I'll sell my bike and get one.

drgnerth
11-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't understand why everyone has hard ons for efi and aluminum frames. Both will suck if anything goes wrong with them.

BlaineKaiser450
11-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by drgnerth
I don't understand why everyone has hard ons for efi and aluminum frames. Both will suck if anything goes wrong with them. exactly. IMO the 450r is perfect as it is for recreational riders because for MX or even serious XC, 90% of everything is going to get swapped. The only stock stuff on my quad is the front rims, radiator, and plastics so all this good stuff from the factory doesnt matter to me :o

2muchquad
11-28-2008, 05:44 PM
the 09 450r has a carb...

450rdr424
11-28-2008, 06:20 PM
If its not broke dont fix it........

mikesutphin
11-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Forget about efi and an aluminum frame. They need to lower the seat height and lighten it up. Weight robs horse power and the lower you are the faster you can rip the corners

miles Machine
11-28-2008, 09:16 PM
well i welcome the idea of the EFI system, i don't want to ruffle any feathers, this is just my opinion but it seems to me that anyone that doesn't like the idea of EFI is ignorant of the benefit's that is carried by it and just has no idea how it works. if u take the time to learn a little about it its really very simple to diagnose and fix.

NJ450rider
11-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Word is that there waiting a year to see how the efi holds up on the crf450. So 2010 should be EFI. I dont see why though EFI is such a simple idea its easier than a carb.

Even though i doubt it. why would honda want to compete with any of the other brands? I think they like sitting in last place.

Jake250ex
11-30-2008, 11:29 AM
How about the aluminum frame and FI for the MX version of the 450r like yamaha did?

That would make sence to me. Those things would benefit MX more than XC, can anyone tell me the last time they saw a Kawi or Suzuki get the holeshot at a XC race with a dead engine start? The fuel injected hondas will get skipped over just likhade the 06 and up R's do by XC racers.

A few inches wider, lower seat height, suspension changes EFI and the aluminm frame - hondas MX quad

Yamaha and KTM both have XC and MX machines... Following the bike trand. KTM has SX and XC bikes, Yamaha has WRF and YZ's, Hondas CRF and CRFX and so on...

mooseracerX
11-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
exactly. IMO the 450r is perfect as it is for recreational riders because for MX or even serious XC, 90% of everything is going to get swapped. The only stock stuff on my quad is the front rims, radiator, and plastics so all this good stuff from the factory doesnt matter to me :o
So lets just say that if you got a race ready quad like a KTM you go and change everything anyways? It would be the same thing if Honda went with extended a-arms and axle. I could care less if Honda went with carb or efi. I'd rather see them go with a bigger carb, MX width and long travel shocks like the YFZ-r and still have the other one like the YFZ.

miles Machine
11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
im gonna have to agree with mooseracerX even tho i like efi i would rather have suspension and chassis updates

k265r
11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
i would rather see a better trans that would hold up to horsepower and racing applications.

mikesutphin
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
i think building two different quads is stupid . they need to make the one thats already out there , better. the pros are gonna change everything anyway. but for the recreational guys wider a arms and axle would be awesome. the suspension, weight , and ride height is what slows it down not the carb or the frame.

CR500rider
12-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by miles Machine
well i welcome the idea of the EFI system, i don't want to ruffle any feathers, this is just my opinion but it seems to me that anyone that doesn't like the idea of EFI is ignorant of the benefit's that is carried by it and just has no idea how it works. if u take the time to learn a little about it its really very simple to diagnose and fix.

efi is easy to diagnose on an automobile because there is a standardized OBDII connector. Since the recreational market hasnt standardized yet it just means lots of different scan tools to buy. Also recreational efi is a very primitive form, just enuff there to make the engine run but still reqires most of the extra crap that cars need. ie: lots of extra wiring, a computer, fuel pump, sensors galore!, and in most cases also a battery! To me it just means a lot more work, a lot more expensive when things fail, and a lot more weight.

I have a newer snowmobile that has efi and the only benefit i see over a carbed sled is that i dont have to rejet every time i go up in elevation. In most case EFI also does not accept engine mods, pipes or anything that makes the engine run more powerfull without buying a separate computer override controler. On a carbed machine its just a simple jetting change.

I hope Honda stays with a carb!

miles Machine
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
The only thing that EFI car's have that ATV's don't is a o2 sensor meaning that it cant compensate for aspiration changes in the engine. the only 2 things you need to do completely everything with a EFI quad is the diagnostic program for your computer such as SDS (Suzuki Diagnostic Program) or a hand held diagnostic function tool such as Honda, which gives you graphs and readings to every sensor you want to know about on the machine (making it very easy to diagnose a minor running condition). The second tool is a good EFI programmer yoshi, power comander, vortex, etc. and of course you'd need this for both carb and EFI a dyno.

I don't want to pick a fight. I believe that everyone has there opinions, some like carbs, some like EFI. I just dont want anyone to dismiss EFI because ppl say its hard to work on or do anything with because there not if you take the time to learn, just like anything. Everything has its draw backs and advantages.

P.S. your snowmobile has a o2 sensor, unless you put a can on it and didn't put it back, resulting in it running horrible.

CR500rider
12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
The only thing that EFI car's have that ATV's don't is a o2 sensor meaning that it cant compensate for aspiration changes in the engine. the only 2 things you need to do completely everything with a EFI quad is the diagnostic program for your computer such as SDS (Suzuki Diagnostic Program) or a hand held diagnostic function tool such as Honda, which gives you graphs and readings to every sensor you want to know about on the machine (making it very easy to diagnose a minor running condition). The second tool is a good EFI programmer yoshi, power comander, vortex, etc. and of course you'd need this for both carb and EFI a dyno.

I don't want to pick a fight. I believe that everyone has there opinions, some like carbs, some like EFI. I just dont want anyone to dismiss EFI because ppl say its hard to work on or do anything with because there not if you take the time to learn, just like anything. Everything has its draw backs and advantages.

P.S. your snowmobile has a o2 sensor, unless you put a can on it and didn't put it back, resulting in it running horrible.

No o2 sensor on my sled, i think the only sled that might have an o2 are the 4 strokes. They do have an exhaust temp probe that might be confused for an o2 sensor.

In my opinion efi on an atv is a sales gimmick. it sounds cool untill you own one, and when you own one you need to buy more stuff like programmers, scanners etc. Try to pipe or port or remove the airbox lid on an efi atv and you run the chance of frying the engine if you dont buy the programmer........yay efi is cool! If it had a carb you could just change the jets. I know the kawi 450s need the programmer to run correctly right off the showroom floor! There is a thread on the ltr forum with people that want (and do) convert thiers to carbs. Yeah i know this is all my opinion, but for atv use i think efi is totally unessesary.

miles Machine
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
i like being able to plug in, instead of mess around with taking a carb apart, plus u get the benefit of auto adjust for ambient air temp and barometric pressure

CR500rider
12-02-2008, 11:08 PM
i like being able to plug in, instead of mess around with taking a carb apart, plus u get the benefit of auto adjust for ambient air temp and barometric pressure
ya it is easier to plug in than to tear appart i guess. But i like to wrench, my computer stays on my desk lol

mikesutphin
12-02-2008, 11:16 PM
the less electrical crap that is on a quad, then the less there is to go wrong. the average rider doesent have a diagnostic machine or even know what an 02sensor is. but they do know what a jet kit is and have basic tools to work on there carb

gcart2
12-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by 450rdr424
If its not broke dont fix it........

i agree.

i would be happier with a softer seat though:p

mooseracerX
12-03-2008, 06:27 AM
If your racing MX your not supposed to be sitting. LOL JP.

gcart2
12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
If your racing MX your not supposed to be sitting. LOL JP. true that. i think thats why it is so stiff, iv even went out to practice without it. good training.

bama06300ex
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by gcart2
true that. i think thats why it is so stiff, iv even went out to practice without it. good training. ]

Thats hardcore!:macho

mooseracerX
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
LOL that is hardcore. I'm not sure, maybe go with a Quadtech?

Dave400ex
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Love it or hate it EFI will be on it sooner or later. It is the future.

As for changes, there are SEVERAL things Honda could and some should change. For one the bottom end and tranny should be beefed up. Something needs to be done with the frame, make it stonger. Fix rear shock/linkage setup. I would like a dual piston rear caliper. Come out with a E-Start that actually works...

ti2ibal1
12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Love it or hate it EFI will be on it sooner or later. It is the future.

It's the future for the whole industry. It's same way they phased out 2-stroke.

I, for one, am ready to embrace it rather than shun it. You will always have die-hards that will cling to carbs, sort of like muscle car guys.

Black R/T
12-06-2008, 10:40 PM
amen to the tranny fix and the dual piston caliper dave, the tranny is first on my list. id like the option of a bigger bore, like KTM. some of the adjust ability too. think they are great bikes otherwise though, all around. oh, maybe a performance parts list that went further than just an HRC kit???

GIXXER1KR
12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
A new look would be nice.Its starting to remind me of the Banshee.6 years straight and no appearance change other than decals and colors.How about a taller stem or at least better bars.EFI will be a plus.If u dont like it u can pop in a carb or just dont buy 1.LOL.There will be planty of carbed 450s for sale.I think an electric start with a kicker would be unbeleivable and definately beef up the tranny.I agree once the CRF450R is successful with the EFI the TRX will follow.EFI is selling bottom line and is succesfull.The hardest thing with the EFI will be building a high HP motor and tuning it.

gcart2
12-07-2008, 06:35 AM
LOL that is hardcore. I'm not sure, maybe go with a Quadtech?

next season i will, im doing

white plastic
Orange a arms,frame swinger etc
red accents (clutch cover, and other little stuff)

o and im powder coating my bumper (blingstar) orange for next season lol!

here it is now.

better yet here is my sponsorhouse page, plenty of pics on there.

http://www.loopd.com/members/PearceRacing33/Default.aspx

RosquistRacer39
12-07-2008, 05:08 PM
If your racing MX your not supposed to be sitting. LOL JP.
Where do you race cause I would own. Im always off the side of my ltr in the turns sitting down and love the seat for that. But if you can win standing all the time go for it.
I have to say I was skeptical of the efi. I have a yfz and ltr and must say the efi is much better. Im never getting gas on my hands, there is no bog even when the bike is not warmed up and my thumb doesnt ache from the stiff throttle.
I agree with everyone else, except on the aluminum frame. I would rather have chromoly, light, really strong, yet you can still fix it if it breaks.

scuzz
12-08-2008, 02:11 PM

X2

quad2xtreme
12-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RosquistRacer39
Where do you race cause I would own. Im always off the side of my ltr in the turns sitting down and love the seat for that. But if you can win standing all the time go for it.
I have to say I was skeptical of the efi. I have a yfz and ltr and must say the efi is much better. Im never getting gas on my hands, there is no bog even when the bike is not warmed up and my thumb doesnt ache from the stiff throttle.
I agree with everyone else, except on the aluminum frame. I would rather have chromoly, light, really strong, yet you can still fix it if it breaks.

X2 on the chromoly.