PDA

View Full Version : I really need someone who is a smooth talking talker to help me here! PLEASE!!

Brauap
11-27-2008, 08:01 AM
I want a 450R so badly! But my dad is acting weird and says it is too much bike! I already have a 400EX, and my cousins buddy has one for sale..

Hipers
Full HMF
+2 A-arms
+2 Axle
PEP Shocks
2800!!!!!!!!

I know people younger and my age who have 450's but it is so unfair! I mean look at QuadJunkie's daughter, my age (14) just bought one bad a*s LTR450!

I need someone to please help me find a way to talk him into letting me buy one, PLEASE?!?

klutch
11-27-2008, 08:12 AM
IDK, but i got my 450 at 15. I went from a 300ex, but then again my dad saw that my 300 wasnt much for me considering it just wasn't enough bike, I was still faster than my entire group until we hit a straight away. Can you ride your 400 well enough to take a bunch of friends that have been riding and racing for years on 400s and 450s?

Brauap
11-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by klutch
IDK, but i got my 450 at 15. I went from a 300ex, but then again my dad saw that my 300 wasnt much for me considering it just wasn't enough bike, I was still faster than my entire group until we hit a straight away. Can you ride your 400 well enough to take a bunch of friends that have been riding and racing for years on 400s and 450s?

I have been riding for 10 years (I am 13..)

My first quad ever was a Polaris X-Plorior 250 2-stoke.. My dad would take me down to W.V. to ride and P.A. when I was 3 on that thing..

Then I got a Suzuki 160 QuadRunner

Then I got a Honda Recon 250ES

Now I have my Honda 400EX.. Its nice and has power but I can top it out no problem.. plus.. I really love the look of the 450 much more than any 400EX! I am a big kid too! 230-240 lbs..

Brauap
11-27-2008, 08:21 AM
I just talked to them, and they said, if you have 2800 in your hand, then we will honestly talk about it! YESSS!!!

But, I still need your help, because there is still a possibitly they'll say no.. :ermm:

cmaxx
11-27-2008, 08:23 AM
im 15 and i just got my 450r 3 days ago.i trade my 300ex for it.

yfzrider310
11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Say some things like if you were every to race motocross you would have to spend over 2000 on your 400ex to make it even close to what this one is. Tell him that the +2 axle and a arms will make the ride so much safer and that you will have more control on what the bikes going to do. Also say that the shocks will take hits away from your body (after a year on stock shocks I saw the chiroprator more than I raced). Say the 450 is a light quad and in case of rollover (which should happen cause its 50" wide) you would be able to flip it back easier. If your dad would buy this say its liquid cooled and runs cooler and makes the engine last long. Also it has a good resale value.

ZeroLogic
11-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Are you buying it or is he buying it? If hes buying it, it could simply be that he does not have enough money right now.
Show him your mature, make a deal with him, do some yard work, do well in school. Ect ect.

Brauap
11-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Are you buying it or is he buying it? If hes buying it, it could simply be that he does not have enough money right now.
Show him your mature, make a deal with him, do some yard work, do well in school. Ect ect.

I am buying it.. %110 my self..

and YFZrider.. he knows alot already.. he rode one last year in a small yard for about 10 mins and said I can't have it.. wtf..

but I hope I can change their mind!

I will tell him about the resale value like say if I dont like it, nor you (he won't make me sell it after I bought it %100 sure) it has an excelent resale value!!

My as of now (I am in the middle of rebuilding my 400) is to build it so it looks nice and runs good, save some money in the rebuild so I don't have to buy all those fancy parts for myself (like ITP bajas and a clarke tank..) and around here I think I will beable to get 3G out of it, then maybe have some left over from the rebuild!

ZeroLogic
11-27-2008, 08:52 AM
How do you get this money? I work full time and I barely can afford gas for the week in my truck.:ermm:

Brauap
11-27-2008, 08:55 AM
How do you get this money? I work full time and I barely can afford gas for the week in my truck.:ermm:

I work during the summer.. I just bot 1G for my dirt bike (that I bought my self by scrapping) so I will use that 1G to make my 400 look pretty and run good, sell it for 3G (2.8-3.0), and I may still have some money left over from my build..

Brauap
11-27-2008, 08:56 AM

ps I dont get an allouance

pps Don't you hate those kid who have their parents buy them their toys? My naighbor is like that! :rolleyes:

ZeroLogic
11-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Word.

11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
good luck getting 3g for a 400ex.

450r's 04 and 05 barely even sell for 3g's these days.

You'll be lucky to get 2200

But otherwise, I got a banshee at 14 just for the sheer fact, that my dad KNOWS i can ride handle the big quads. He wouldnt mind me getting a 450.

EDIT: my dad only helps me with stuff. I pay a lot of it myself.

cglester
11-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Just so ya know
allowance and neighbor
:D
P.S. hope ya get it, be safe

Brauap
11-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by cglester
P.S. hope ya get it, be safe

Thanks bud!

gcart2
11-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
ps I dont get an allouance

pps Don't you hate those kid who have their parents buy them their toys? My naighbor is like that! :rolleyes: maybe if you kept your 400 up he wouldnt mind moving you up to a 450.

ZeroLogic
11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
pps Don't you hate those kid who have their parents buy them their toys? My naighbor is like that! :rolleyes:

Why? My father brought me my first quad and parts for it.

klutch
11-27-2008, 10:12 AM
My dad got me my 450... You hate me now...? Dude I could be the biggest a-hole you've ever met by saying a few things to you. But really you aren't worth getting banned over. Just stop complaining and keep riding.

P.S. Some are just more fortunate I suppose. I work my butt off around the house, I help my grand parents alot. I've worked 2 or 3 summers at my mom's job. I also do well in school. I guess I didn't work for it cause I didn't pay for it?

BlaineKaiser450
11-27-2008, 10:38 AM
im 14 and my dad payed for the quad(s) but i payed for everything else. With that said, i work my arse off and i never have money to do other things because its alll into my quad. But im fine with that :)

Brauap
11-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Chill people. I was just saying I hate it when people get things handed over to them, when others work their butts off.. no biggie dude(s).. Cool, your parents bought it for you, you are very lucky, but you won't ever know the value of a dollar like I do (at my age). No offence..

But, Klutch, it sounded like you deserved it..

and yea, ZeroLogic, my first quads where boughten for me too!

You just never get that satisfaction with out paying for it yourself! I mean yea, you may feel satified that you got it, but not as much as if you bought it yourself!

My naighbor really gets on my nerves becasue he brags about the bike he is going to get.. then he says its only 3G.. and I said yea? Who's paying for it? My mom! and then he says I don't know anything about dirt bikes.. (this is comming from a little 4' kid who is getting a KLX140 and he most he knows is how to take of bolts, and he is telling me I don't know anything! :grr:

11-27-2008, 11:30 AM
i'll tell you from the type of riding that you have said that you do, you will not like the 450r. in a way, your dad is right about it being too much bike fro you...not for your skills or abilities, but for your riding style...i went back to a 400ex and could not be happier

Brauap
11-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i'll tell you from the type of riding that you have said that you do, you will not like the 450r. in a way, your dad is right about it being too much bike fro you...not for your skills or abilities, but for your riding style...i went back to a 400ex and could not be happier

:grr: You may have just talked me out of it.. Why do the pros use 450R's then and not 400EX's?

250r rider 88
11-27-2008, 11:58 AM
because thats what they are payed to race, or are racing to be competitive so they can get a factory ride

rules are now pros have to run production based quads and the 450 is the premier race class just like in the bikes

trust me, there are pros out there who would love to run a hybrid or full blown 250r from the early 2000 era but cant because of the rules and the factories are not paying them to run those

Ruby Soho
11-27-2008, 01:21 PM
:grr: You may have just talked me out of it.. Why do the pros use 450R's then and not 400EX's?

pro's dont trail ride.

450's are RACE quads.

11-27-2008, 01:42 PM
You sound like a kid who wants a 450r just because all ur friends want one. Grow up be happy you go a quad period.

Robin Hood
11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
My friend got a hold of an 05 450R and he's only 15. He started racing wish us this year and he's gotta be the fastest kid around. I definitely saw an improvement from him coming off of a 400ex.

Don't get the quad to be the cool kid on the block though. Get the quad if you're gonna race it and use it to its full potential.

A 400ex is a good quad for your age. I rode a raptor 660 from 16-18 and decided I was going to start racing so I worked all summer for an LTR. We all had to start somewhere. You're fortunate enough to have a good quad at a very young age.

powermadd400ex
11-27-2008, 05:46 PM
well first off i wanna say that, i didnt pay for all my quad. and that fraction that i didnt pay i would like to pay my dad back in the future. but all the mods that are on my quad i have bought myself.

braup:its great that you found that 450r, and im not going to try to convince, or unconvince you. but just be careful wether you get it or not. and be thankful you got your quad at the age that you did and that you still have it. good luck to ya

Brauap
11-27-2008, 06:42 PM
John_M, none of my friends ride quads.. there all stuck on 2 wheelers..

As I was over my Aunts house, I was talking to my cusins and my uncle about the quad and he said Kenny (who owns the quad now) barley ever rides it, and has MAYBE 300 total miles on the entire bike! They also said it had engine work done to it too! He barly rides, but he had to get the best parts possible.. hince the Hipers, LSR axle, PEP Shocks, HMF Full.. ect ect..

(Also, the axle is a +2/+5 and the A-Arms are +2/+1 and I was thinking, if I think it is too wide (if I get it) I could just sell the axle and the a-arms and make a pretty penny back! but then buy the stockers.. )

Also, he is the same weight as me, so the PEP's should be like a dream to ride on for me..

My cousin said I should deffently get it.. he even try to talk my parents into it.. (my dad said it was fine as long as I get the money! WOOT!) and he said that it'd be a perfect quad for me!

Nick110
11-27-2008, 07:09 PM
You sound like you have a lot of growing up to do and wtf did your parents feed you that your 13 and 230lbs. Also you probably wont even use the potential of the stock motor let alone a built one. I raced my quad with a stock motor up untill A class.

Good luck with getting it.

Brauap
11-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I actually eat very heathly! I was born with a low matabalism and then when I had cancer when I was 8 I just about ruined it, so my body have alot of trouble burning off fat and that..

Like my favorite foods are:

Apples
Watermellon
Grapes
12 grain bread
skim milk
and ham and cheese sandwiches.. :p

11-27-2008, 07:48 PM

because they are running on a race course. they are going, essentially, at FULL throttle for 2 hours straight...they are not making, or "blazing" new trail, they are not easing over any on course obstacles...they hit them as hard as they can...and don't look back...

ZeroLogic
11-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I think you should hold off. If your trail riding, stick with the 400ex and save your money for a car/truck. You won't ever and I mean EVER use all the power a 450 has. It will be a lot harder to ride in the trails too because you have to keep the rpms up. I've rode both a 400ex and a Yzf450. The 450 was a bear to ride. You always had to be on your feet and scared ****less.;) 400ex was nice and perfect for the trails. Unless your racing, stick with the 400ex.

Brauap
11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Unless your racing, stick with the 400ex.

But the thing is, I am going to start racing.. local harescambles, them when the GNCC rolls around here, I will be racing those, and ole' pops said if I am good at it and I qualify, he'll drive me up and down the east coast!

But I will be racing C or B class of course!

11-28-2008, 05:24 AM
there is no qualifying, you just go and race. my suggestion would be to keep the ex and do a season on it to see if you enjoy racing, can afford to race(giving the bad economy, a lot are getting out), and actually have the time to practice as well as race. conditioning in gncc and similar style races is just as important as skill. you need to keep 100% top level for the entire race...

justin1022
11-28-2008, 07:08 AM
John_M, none of my friends ride quads.. there all stuck on 2 wheelers..

As I was over my Aunts house, I was talking to my cusins and my uncle about the quad and he said Kenny (who owns the quad now) barley ever rides it, and has MAYBE 300 total miles on the entire bike! They also said it had engine work done to it too! He barly rides, but he had to get the best parts possible.. hince the Hipers, LSR axle, PEP Shocks, HMF Full.. ect ect..

(Also, the axle is a +2/+5 and the A-Arms are +2/+1 and I was thinking, if I think it is too wide (if I get it) I could just sell the axle and the a-arms and make a pretty penny back! but then buy the stockers.. )

Also, he is the same weight as me, so the PEP's should be like a dream to ride on for me..

My cousin said I should deffently get it.. he even try to talk my parents into it.. (my dad said it was fine as long as I get the money! WOOT!) and he said that it'd be a perfect quad for me!

holly chit im 16 in a couple months and i only weight 140 lol

Ruby Soho
11-28-2008, 07:22 AM
also, not to be and ***. but, it seems like you don't maintain your 400ex all that well, and have made mistakes taking care of it, a 450 is going to be a nightmare for you if you don't start cleaning and washing it, doing oil, air filter, valve spec, and frequent rebuilds. your going to be racing (so you say), the quads going to need a ton of attention.

11-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
also, not to be and ***. but, it seems like you don't maintain your 400ex all that well, and have made mistakes taking care of it, a 450 is going to be a nightmare for you if you don't start cleaning and washing it, doing oil, air filter, valve spec, and frequent rebuilds. your going to be racing (so you say), the quads going to need a ton of attention.

excellent point...that is one reason that i traded back down to a 400ex...i don't mind maintenance, i actually enjoy it, but the 450r was more than what i feel is necessary for a trail quad. i had to be constantly doing something to it to be ready for the next time out. you can't just wash the 450r, put it away, and expect it to be ready for the next ride like you can a 400ex.

907Rider
11-28-2008, 07:59 AM

Yep 450s are a b*c h to maintain My nighbor has one and he NEVER rides b/c he is working on it all the time
But if you are planing to race they are the way to go, lots of power. I live close to a track and 450s are all I see dirt bikes and quads, Its almost unfair.

But as for me Im 5'5ish 135 and happy with my blaster, dont race and hang with or beat (rarely)most 4strokes I meet

Brauap
11-28-2008, 08:43 AM

excellent point...that is one reason that i traded back down to a 400ex...i don't mind maintenance, i actually enjoy it, but the 450r was more than what i feel is necessary for a trail quad. i had to be constantly doing something to it to be ready for the next time out. you can't just wash the 450r, put it away, and expect it to be ready for the next ride like you can a 400ex.

I relize that.. and I know I extremly screwed up my 400. Washing when ever I went to go on a trip, or if its extremly muddy, but eitherwise I'd put it away wet and muddy. I know I will have to adjust the valves every what, 60 hours? No biggie! No problem changing the oil and filter now because I have a Honda MAYBE 2 minutes away from me and I can just walk there. Know I find it fun and I find some pride in washing my quad and making it shine. (I was alwas good about cleaning and oiling my air filter)
One thing I don't understand is what you mean by "frequent rebuilds?"

Remember tho, I owned a 125 2 stroke, and I had to mess with that soo much! Rebuild after another after another! My cousin is a mechanic, and I am friends with the best local shop around and his emploee, so I can always give him a call if I need help. And plus my dad is pretty good at it too! (not to mention I am not all that horrible at it either.. :p )

Thanks for your feedback guys!!

coryatver
11-28-2008, 08:48 AM
ok last week you were asking about a winch, then this week you were asking about 12 inch wheels for mud tires. Like you said you wanted something for trail riding and some mud a 450r will not be for you!

Brauap
11-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Also as another big thing in what had happend to my 400 is when I came to this site for the first time reading all the posts and say when I like the look of the shaved fenders, I went out and I did it. When I like the look of the hoods, I went out and bought one and I did it. "Boy this looks cool! (on eBay)" so I got it.
Once I cut my lights off I relized how much I needed them, so I saw othe people has lights so I went and bought some.. my problem is when I wanted something I always went the cheapest rought and that destroied my 400!! I was soo stupid! When I got that thing it was soo nice, now look at it! Also, I was spending more time modifying it and buying parts for it, more so than I was maintaining it! :ermm:

I promis I have learned my lession, and I actually find it fun to maintain it! (don't as me why...?) but I do! ;)

Brauap
11-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
ok last week you were asking about a winch, then this week you were asking about 12 inch wheels for mud tires. Like you said you wanted something for trail riding and some mud a 450r will not be for you!

haha I know, but that was BEFORE I became stuck on getting this 450! haha I am still going to rebuild my 400 (to bone stock/mint) but I am going to sell it. You can still put a winch on a 450! :p jk

11-28-2008, 09:11 AM
adjusting the valves on the 450r is not like doing it on the 400ex...you have to take the valve cover off, measure the lash and then measure the shims...do a little subtraction to figure out what shims you need to replace what shims need replacing. then you have to take off the cam tower, which requires taking off the timing chain...and to be honest, i would say they need adjusted a little more frequently than every 60 hours of ride time.

oil changes are a little more complicated also, only because the engine and tranny oil is separate, as well as more expensive as the filters are 2 times the cost of the 400ex filter. oil changes need to be more frequent than on the 400ex also. i was changing my oil after every other ride it seemed, where as the 400ex, i could change it twice a year(not racing of course). the coolant needs maintained. etc etc.

i am telling you from experience...at a major loss to my bank account...lol...that a unless you are racing and know that 150% sure you are going to be racing ONLY, then a 450r is not for you! if i were you, i would put a full race season on the 400ex that you have before i even bought a 450r. i bought mine planning on racing it...that never happened...then i was stick with a machine that was not right for trail riding...i liked the 450r, but it was not a trail machine...the 400ex will be a better bike for your riding needs...

Brauap
11-28-2008, 10:11 AM
adjusting the valves on the 450r is not like doing it on the 400ex...you have to take the valve cover off, measure the lash and then measure the shims...do a little subtraction to figure out what shims you need to replace what shims need replacing. then you have to take off the cam tower, which requires taking off the timing chain...and to be honest, i would say they need adjusted a little more frequently than every 60 hours of ride time.

oil changes are a little more complicated also, only because the engine and tranny oil is separate, as well as more expensive as the filters are 2 times the cost of the 400ex filter. oil changes need to be more frequent than on the 400ex also. i was changing my oil after every other ride it seemed, where as the 400ex, i could change it twice a year(not racing of course). the coolant needs maintained. etc etc.

i am telling you from experience...at a major loss to my bank account...lol...that a unless you are racing and know that 150% sure you are going to be racing ONLY, then a 450r is not for you! if i were you, i would put a full race season on the 400ex that you have before i even bought a 450r. i bought mine planning on racing it...that never happened...then i was stick with a machine that was not right for trail riding...i liked the 450r, but it was not a trail machine...the 400ex will be a better bike for your riding needs...

Now WITHOUT exageration.. how much do yu honestly think it would cost if I had the shop rebuild it? (not the dealer)

Also, I am fine with teh oil and filters and such.. I will just buy a suplus of them, keep them, and I could probally change it once a week.. no biggie.

I trust you speedy, but I am just wondering why other poeple (I searched the 450R section) said it can be/is a great/good trail quad.. you just have to feather the clutch in the tight spots, which I am 100% use to with my 125 that I had.

Any more points? I would like to know everything that I need to know before I get it! Thanks!

ProspectorJim
11-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Most dealers and local shops don't know what they're doing on a 4 stroke race engine.
My brother found that out the hard way. He took his yz250f in to have the valves adjusted and ended up having a bike with a bent valve and a $600 bill.The mechanic also tried to BS him into a new piston and rings. (NEVER get work done by Millers Yamaha in Western PA!!!)
At least the guy at the local shop he took it to after told him they didn't know how to fix these kind of engines.
Now my brother has a 144sx and does all the work on it himself.

With high performance comes high maintenance.

Brauap
11-28-2008, 11:00 AM
No, our shop is amazing.. its a little one, but I think he even done some work on Pastrana's bike. He done amazing job on mine! Everyone around here raves about him too! I called the dealer about my engine and they told me to call JP Cycle! The dealers said he was better than them and the best around!

11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
it takes more than a little feathering...it will seem like work instead of play...all of that feather in hard on the clutch fibers and steels...a new oem pack is $140...a quad aint a bike either...taking a bike at slower speeds with feathering a clutch is not the same as 450r...

those people that say that get to ride at full throttle constantly....they are blazing trail like you like to do...they aren't going over logs and rocks, etc...unless it is something that they can hit at speed...

when i rode the 450r in the woods, i had the clutch pulled in 90% of the time...that is no exaggeration...it would be throttle on, then clutch almost instantly...i never got out of second gear, but spent most of my time in first...

Brauap
11-28-2008, 11:33 AM
it takes more than a little feathering...it will seem like work instead of play...a quad aint a bike either...

You are so right! A bike has 2 wheels and forks instead of the front end of a quad! Everything else is bascially the same..

And what if I where to get an Hydrolic clutch for it, would it make it any easier?

Nick110
11-28-2008, 12:14 PM
You are so right! A bike has 2 wheels and forks instead of the front end of a quad! Everything else is bascially the same..

And what if I where to get an Hydrolic clutch for it, would it make it any easier?

no

quads14589
11-28-2008, 07:07 PM
im 235 pounds and my 400 is nice, but i also would like to have some more power, thats y im sellin mine for a 700

yam450_53
11-28-2008, 07:50 PM
jesus christ, I hope you're not serious about the bike thing... like nick said, sounds like you have a good amount of growing up to do, it's funny how you're trying to convince the people that you'll be a good little boy and treat your 450r well. To me, it sounds like you should tough out the 400, you're hella not ready for that 450r and you sure as heck don't need all the modifications on top of that...

Brauap
11-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by yam450_53
jesus christ, I hope you're not serious about the bike thing... like nick said, sounds like you have a good amount of growing up to do, it's funny how you're trying to convince the people that you'll be a good little boy and treat your 450r well. To me, it sounds like you should tough out the 400, you're hella not ready for that 450r and you sure as heck don't need all the modifications on top of that...

Funny. My cousin (who knows a hellava lot more about me than you) said that that 450 would be perfect for me.. :ermm:

powermadd400ex
11-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Funny. My cousin (who knows a hellava lot more about me than you) said that that 450 would be perfect for me.. :ermm:

he going to say anything to sell it :rolleyes:

Brauap
11-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
he going to say anything to sell it :rolleyes:

Lets make this easier.. I have 2 different cousins.. I will call one "1" and the other "2"

"1" doesn't really know kenny all that well. And he has ridden with my and has watched me grow up and get better and better. He also use to race motocross, until his old lady popped 4 kids out! :eek:

"2" is good friends with kenny and is the mechanic I was talking about.

Well, "1" doesn't have the quad for sale. He doesn't care if I buy it or not. He just said that he thinks it'd be a great bike for me because he had seen me ride my 400.. and I can tell 'yall, he would not lead me wrong.

11-29-2008, 09:21 AM
dude, it is not about being ready to handle the 450r...it is about being able to maintain it and what it is going to be used for...

like i said, if i were you, until i knew 198% that racing is the ONLY thing i was going to do with the 450r, i would not buy it. i am speaking from experience here...for the type of riding you have described, the 450r is not the right bike for you...ask the owner why he don't ride it any more. my guess is that he has a similar riding style to you. the bike did not end up being all it was cracked up to be for that use...

i have owned a 450r. brand spanking new 2006...had it all decked out...over 10 grand into...i ended up trading it for my 400ex and some cash...the 400ex was nice, but all in all if i were to say what i thought i ended up with if it were a cash deal...i would guess right around 3 grand...and it was like new...i never rode it, i opted to take the wife's 400ex more and more

you get this 450r and don't maintain it like it needs to be maintained. which, in all honesty, i don't think you will be able to give it that level of maintenance, so you will end up losing you butt when you go to sell a whooped machine...like it was said before, you couldn't even maintain a 400ex, a 450r is another animal all together.

11-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry Brauap, but I kind of agree with everyone else now.

I do remember the "It sounded like a two-stroke and ran wierd, but I continued riding anyway" thread.

Now look what happened to your 400ex.

A 450r won't be nearly as forgiving sucking in 50lbs of mud through an open carb.

Plus the extra maintaince on top of all that..

Build the 400ex to your liking. And take your time, buy the best of the best, and do it right.
A 400ex can handle just as good as a 450r.

If you really feel in the future that you want more power.. a 460 stroker is still easier to maintain then a 450.

Plus, if you love the looks of the 450r.. it is possible to convert the 450r plastics. Its been done before and if you want I can dig up the thread again.

Brauap
11-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I'm sorry Brauap, but I kind of agree with everyone else now.

I do remember the "It sounded like a two-stroke and ran wierd, but I continued riding anyway" thread.

Now look what happened to your 400ex.

A 450r won't be nearly as forgiving sucking in 50lbs of mud through an open carb.

Plus the extra maintaince on top of all that..

Build the 400ex to your liking. And take your time, buy the best of the best, and do it right.
A 400ex can handle just as good as a 450r.

If you really feel in the future that you want more power.. a 460 stroker is still easier to maintain then a 450.

Plus, if you love the looks of the 450r.. it is possible to convert the 450r plastics. Its been done before and if you want I can dig up the thread again.

Yes, I have made mistakes! WHO HASN'T? It was all learing.. I know what to do, how to do it, when, and why. If I don't I have a pluthera of people to call. I admit I had made mistakes.. :rolleyes:

ZeroLogic
11-29-2008, 10:18 AM

A hydraulic clutch only makes it easier to engage the clutch.

All everyone is tryin to do is help you out. A lot of people that posted in this topic knows a lot of information and you should take it and use it wisely.

klutch
11-29-2008, 10:20 AM
You seem to be fighting all of us saying you are ready. You have obviously made your decision and are still trying to prove to us you are worthy of it. I think you do need some growing up to do. I think the 400ex is a great bike for trail riders. Get the 450 if you wanna hit up the mx track.

11-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, I have made mistakes! WHO HASN'T? It was all learing.. I know what to do, how to do it, when, and why. If I don't I have a pluthera of people to call. I admit I had made mistakes.. :rolleyes:

chillax brauap lol

I say you build the 400ex. Even if it takes another year to get the money.

460 Stroker -Hotrods crank, Stage 3 Cam, +1mm valves, port and polish, FCR carb, etc.
+1 A-arms
______ Shocks
______ Axle
______ Stabilizer
450r plastics

Right there alone you have a pretty beast 400ex.
It would feel just like a 450r (plastics/seat) and the 460 stroker would haul @ss.

Instead of rushing and saying "i dont have enough money so ill just get these"
take your time. Make it a front runner.
And, you'll be unique. Everyone has 450's these days.

Brauap
11-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Everyone has 450's these days.

Yup! And so will I! ;)

Brauap
11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Welp guys. Thanks for your help. I think I had gotten my dad convinced! Thanks again!

Ruby Soho
11-29-2008, 11:55 AM
thanks for what? we all told you not to..

i think you can go alot faster in the woods on a 400ex than a 450r any day of the week.

klutch
11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
thanks for what? we all told you not to..

i think you can go alot faster in the woods on a 400ex than a 450r any day of the week.

I agree. I have a harder time in the woods on my 450 then I ever did on my 300... and when ever I am following my dad and he's going slow trying to find a trail, I spend that time clutching cause I can't really idle at that speed... I never go past 2nd gear in trails and spend most of my time feathering the clutch in first.

I don't even use my 450 on trail rides anymore. If my sister ain't going I leave my 450 at home and use the 300 cause the 450 was just no fun it was too much work for trails. Luckily i like MX more. lol.

Edit:

Honestly, if I could I would trade my 450R for a 400EX ofcourse it would need all the same mods and such but I'd be able to do more with a 400EX then I can with the 450...

11-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Well Brauap, it's obvious you made your decision.

You said you've made mistakes before and have learned your lesson. Well, this maybe be one of the biggest mistakes you make.
I'm not going to be surprised when you come back on, and list the 450r for sale. Or make a thread saying how it's not for you.

You've said multiple times you WANT to race XC/GNCC. Well the 450r is not for you then. Nevermind one that was tricked out for MX Racing.

So let's see what it will cost you in the long run.

You need it narrower for the woods racing. So you sell your a-arms for $350 max (You will NOT get $400+ for the arms) and buy some stock a-arms.
Now, the shocks are sprung and valved for a rider your weight, along with the +2 arms. You now are using less leverage making the shocks much stiffer. Now you need to use ALL that money you saved and then some, to get the shocks revalved.

To convert it to XC use, will take some money.

The only reason i want a 450 over my 400ex, is because I ride at coal-mines. Pits. And occasionally a trail. So the 450 suits me well. You know im a power freak, and even I would take the 400ex over the 450r if I knew all i did was trail race.

It's your quad, your choice. Go ahead and make this choice, in the end it will come back to bite you in the @ss.

And good luck coming up with another $800 for the R. People are having trouble giving 400ex's away for $1800.

Ruby Soho
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
i can't believe im going to agree with dmc, but hes right. you won't get anything for your 400ex. i couldn't sell mine even for best offer. its not the right time, and 400ex's are a dime a dozen these days.

im parting mine out and its working out good for me.

Brauap
11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Well Brauap, it's obvious you made your decision.

You said you've made mistakes before and have learned your lesson. Well, this maybe be one of the biggest mistakes you make.
I'm not going to be surprised when you come back on, and list the 450r for sale. Or make a thread saying how it's not for you.

You've said multiple times you WANT to race XC/GNCC. Well the 450r is not for you then. Nevermind one that was tricked out for MX Racing.

So let's see what it will cost you in the long run.

You need it narrower for the woods racing. So you sell your a-arms for $350 max (You will NOT get $400+ for the arms) and buy some stock a-arms.
Now, the shocks are sprung and valved for a rider your weight, along with the +2 arms. You now are using less leverage making the shocks much stiffer. Now you need to use ALL that money you saved and then some, to get the shocks revalved.

To convert it to XC use, will take some money.

The only reason i want a 450 over my 400ex, is because I ride at coal-mines. Pits. And occasionally a trail. So the 450 suits me well. You know im a power freak, and even I would take the 400ex over the 450r if I knew all i did was trail race.

It's your quad, your choice. Go ahead and make this choice, in the end it will come back to bite you in the @ss.

And good luck coming up with another $800 for the R. People are having trouble giving 400ex's away for $1800.

Wow.. haha.. everyone seems to hate me know! Well, if I do end up getting it, you guys wil probally be right, but I really want to see for myself! I am sorry guys, just dont hate me for it. DMC, we're friends but it seems as if I were next to you you'd sock me.. ?

Also, most of the time I rid ein my back yard and in a 50+(ish) acre field next to me.. once or twice a year I go down to W.V. and ride. Yea, there are some "tight" stuff, but I always had lots of extra room for my 400. I thought you guys would be eager for me to get the 450 because it seemed like you all hated me in the 400EX.

I was just courious and when to TRX450R.org and asked the same questions (will the 450R be good for trails, ect, ect, ) and I also asked about maintance and they said they love their R's on the trails...? I don' t know. I know speedy had a 450.. I realllly want one. (The reason I said thanks was at the begining of the tread, it had to do with the title, and it worked! ;) )

I will keep the axle and a-arms for around the house and I will but some stockers for trail riding and that.. But I may very well not buy that exact one.. there are quite a few around this area.

Also, someone brought up that he is selling it, and the reason he is selling it is because he has a son who races MX and he works alot so he doesn't have the time to ride it. He hadn't even made a good effert to sell it, and his dad just died on top of all that. So, it may still be around when I sell my 400, may not. Oh well. Like my cousin brought up ("2'') there will always be more for sale. I tend to rush into things .. like when I bought my dirt bike.. I was too anxious to even do a compression test, nor run the vin, and I got bit in the ... again and again.

I have learned my lession. (I know people are going to quote these sentences and say something like "Yea, your rushing into this 450R thing too!" but I am not. I have spend a long time reaserching. Looonngg. Before I buy anything thats what I do! I need to know what I am getting and if I will like it. I think I will be inlove with the 450R. Just like my 400. Yea, I know it is more High strung and has more maintaince, but I can deal with that... ( know someone is going to bring up some of my mistakes I have made in the past... :rolleyes: ) But I am really looking forward to it!

Sorry guys. I know I am thick skulled and you guys are probally right. I will probally end up getting rid of it, come back, and you all will be teasing me. But then again, I may very well love it. It may be perfect for me. And you all may be wrong! (honestly, don't take that the wrong way!!!) I will never know unless I find out how it suits me unless I try it. I am finnally starting to take all your advice!!

Remember when I made all those "Is my quad nice" threads and "Color Scheme" threads.. and you all where trying to tell me that it is my quad and do what I want. I am the one stuck with it. Well, this is a little different sinerio, but I guess I did learn a little. Just like how when people say "If all your friends just off a bridge, will you?" Just because you are all telling me not to get it doesn't mean I have to listen. I really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me! But I am pretty sure you guys will be right in the long run. If you guys want, every now and then I will up date you on how the 450 is treating me..

I am sure speedy knows what he is talking about and so does everyone else, but maybe it does fit your style of riding, but it does mine? I kept trying to get more and more power out of it. So much so over the 4th of July, I blew a head gasket. Owning the YZ had really taught me how to take care of my things. The 2 stroke was such high maintence!! But I enjoyed it. Making my things last longer. I am responsible for the life of it. It felt good after rebuilding it. I was very proud. And I have a feeling that the 450 will be the same way. Yea, it was a pain in the butt, but I enjoyed it. I really (honestly) just want to say thank you for everyone that had contributed to this thread. I just hope my decisions had'nt made anyone hate me.

DMC, could you get on AIM?

Thanks again everyone! ;)

Brauap
11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
i can't believe im going to agree with dmc, but hes right. you won't get anything for your 400ex. i couldn't sell mine even for best offer. its not the right time, and 400ex's are a dime a dozen these days.

im parting mine out and its working out good for me.

If it was up to me I would, but my parents won't let me not finish a projet. I guess that is kinda of a good thing. Ruby, have you tried eBay? It looks like stock ones are going for an OK amount on their..

Also, who knows the economy may change by the time I finish the rebuild (doubt it but who knows..)

klutch
11-29-2008, 01:57 PM
About people eager for you to get a 450 to get out of the 400 section. I don't want you in the 450 section lmao... and idk if DMC would sock you but I probably would. then again... I can be a jerk. lmao.

Brauap
11-29-2008, 02:08 PM
About people eager for you to get a 450 to get out of the 400 section. I don't want you in the 450 section lmao... and idk if DMC would sock you but I probably would. then again... I can be a jerk. lmao.

Don't worry klutch. If I do get that 450, I will move onto a much better site. I may only once in a while post in the 450R section. http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/post-1348-1109892585.gif

11-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Wow.. haha.. everyone seems to hate me know! Well, if I do end up getting it, you guys wil probally be right, but I really want to see for myself! I am sorry guys, just dont hate me for it. DMC, we're friends but it seems as if I were next to you you'd sock me.. ?

Also, most of the time I rid ein my back yard and in a 50+(ish) acre field next to me.. once or twice a year I go down to W.V. and ride. Yea, there are some "tight" stuff, but I always had lots of extra room for my 400. I thought you guys would be eager for me to get the 450 because it seemed like you all hated me in the 400EX.

I was just courious and when to TRX450R.org and asked the same questions (will the 450R be good for trails, ect, ect, ) and I also asked about maintance and they said they love their R's on the trails...? I don' t know. I know speedy had a 450.. I realllly want one. (The reason I said thanks was at the begining of the tread, it had to do with the title, and it worked! ;) )

I will keep the axle and a-arms for around the house and I will but some stockers for trail riding and that.. But I may very well not buy that exact one.. there are quite a few around this area.

Also, someone brought up that he is selling it, and the reason he is selling it is because he has a son who races MX and he works alot so he doesn't have the time to ride it. He hadn't even made a good effert to sell it, and his dad just died on top of all that. So, it may still be around when I sell my 400, may not. Oh well. Like my cousin brought up ("2'') there will always be more for sale. I tend to rush into things .. like when I bought my dirt bike.. I was too anxious to even do a compression test, nor run the vin, and I got bit in the ... again and again.

I have learned my lession. (I know people are going to quote these sentences and say something like "Yea, your rushing into this 450R thing too!" but I am not. I have spend a long time reaserching. Looonngg. Before I buy anything thats what I do! I need to know what I am getting and if I will like it. I think I will be inlove with the 450R. Just like my 400. Yea, I know it is more High strung and has more maintaince, but I can deal with that... ( know someone is going to bring up some of my mistakes I have made in the past... :rolleyes: ) But I am really looking forward to it!

Sorry guys. I know I am thick skulled and you guys are probally right. I will probally end up getting rid of it, come back, and you all will be teasing me. But then again, I may very well love it. It may be perfect for me. And you all may be wrong! (honestly, don't take that the wrong way!!!) I will never know unless I find out how it suits me unless I try it. I am finnally starting to take all your advice!!

Remember when I made all those "Is my quad nice" threads and "Color Scheme" threads.. and you all where trying to tell me that it is my quad and do what I want. I am the one stuck with it. Well, this is a little different sinerio, but I guess I did learn a little. Just like how when people say "If all your friends just off a bridge, will you?" Just because you are all telling me not to get it doesn't mean I have to listen. I really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me! But I am pretty sure you guys will be right in the long run. If you guys want, every now and then I will up date you on how the 450 is treating me..

I am sure speedy knows what he is talking about and so does everyone else, but maybe it does fit your style of riding, but it does mine? I kept trying to get more and more power out of it. So much so over the 4th of July, I blew a head gasket. Owning the YZ had really taught me how to take care of my things. The 2 stroke was such high maintence!! But I enjoyed it. Making my things last longer. I am responsible for the life of it. It felt good after rebuilding it. I was very proud. And I have a feeling that the 450 will be the same way. Yea, it was a pain in the butt, but I enjoyed it. I really (honestly) just want to say thank you for everyone that had contributed to this thread. I just hope my decisions had'nt made anyone hate me.

DMC, could you get on AIM?

Thanks again everyone! ;)

Brauap, I don't hate you. I know that your harmless. Just some things like this thread tick me off.

Because you went on and on about the GNCC racing and now your into a quad not designed for it?

Sure I might sign on.

coryatver
11-29-2008, 03:08 PM
you say 450r's are not for gncc racing?:huh
have you ever been to a gncc?? More than half the people racing are on 450rs. Braup your just getting way to far ahead of yourself. you have a box of bolts and parts right now but you already have that 450r in your garage in your head. Work Hard and be patient and it will pay off. I just hope you know your trail blazing and mud bogging days are over and riding it hard and putting it away wet and putting gas in it and taking off are over once you get a 450r.

klutch
11-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Don't worry klutch. If I do get that 450, I will move onto a much better site. I may only once in a while post in the 450R section. http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/post-1348-1109892585.gif

Oh thats good. How nice of you to put the site down due to me. I'm just honest with you. But now I hope you get that 450 so you'll leave ^.^.

Brauap
11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh thats good. How nice of you to put the site down due to me. I'm just honest with you. But now I hope you get that 450 so you'll leave ^.^.

Your the one who said you'd sock me and don't want me in the 450R section. Wanna forget this? Truce?

klutch
11-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Your the one who said you'd sock me and don't want me in the 450R section. Wanna forget this? Truce?

I'd sock you if you said something stupid. And I don't want you in the 450r section cause I don't want more dumb threads in there. But sure truce.

250x_kyle
11-29-2008, 04:52 PM
i payed 2700 cash for my 400ex when i was 14. and i payed 3800 cash for my 450r in august at 17. the way i see it when it comes to toys dont buy what you cant aford. ive worked my butt off for everythign ive got. not only that from the sounds of it that r was ran for the price. I bought my 400 with original intetnions to buy a 450 but couldnt aford it swaped it to a yz hybrid last year and bought my r in august. time payed off dont just go buy any quad because you want one wait for something your sure you want and think about it.

and when you do get a new machine respect it. anythign can put you on your arse when you think your can handle it.

procircuit406ex
11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
you dont need a 450...nobody NEEDS a 450. my 400 will do just as good in the woods as a 450 and it has reverse and its alot less to keep up

Brauap
11-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I'd sock you if you said something stupid. And I don't want you in the 450r section cause I don't want more dumb threads in there.

:rolleyes:

wilkin250r
11-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't have time for this kind of garbage. I didn't even read through the whole thread, which is probably good, because I don't have time to ban you people either.