PDA

View Full Version : 250R investors?

250Renvy
11-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I wish I could win the lottery - a big powerball worth 100 million so I could bring back the 250R.

So if you are reading this, my question is: Do you think we could find enough 250R enthusiasts that are wealthy enough to make an investment in them?

I don't know how much it would take, but I think the best way would be to start a company that builds kits - the first part of the kit would be a NEW designed CR250 crankcase with a counterbalancer, then build chomoly frames that accept a bunch of other stock honda parts that are currently in production, then all you'd need is the matching pipe and you could build your own, or other possibilities are designing counterbalanced bottom ends for KTM dirt bikes.

If 6 degrees of separation really works, there should be somebody on this forum that knows somebody that at least knows somebody that is either filthy stinking rich and loves 250R's or works in the R&D at BRP - Can-am as they'd be the most likely candidate to built a factory 2-stroke machine and ask them if it'd ever be likely.

redred55
11-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I haven't checked my lottery tickets from last night yet.......if I won, I'll be the first to invest!!

mineralgrey01gt
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
this thought crossed my mind when i seen whichever company it was make that 450r with the 250r throwback graphics on it. Looked damn good. They should do that for a limited edition run on the 450 (when it gets FI) or bring the 250r back but since there are no more 2 stroke atv's I highly doubt the 250r would come back

Creech52
11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Ya mineral brings up a good point. Id love to have my hand in creating the next gen 250R but two strokes are so highly frowned upon by the tree huggers and basically outlawed, it would be hard to market such a bike.

I think something similar to the way new bikes are going with hybrid aluminum subframed or even a total aluminum frame. A nice stout PV'd motor like the rotrax in the gas gas 300s. Then using the a-arms and swinger along with the rolling stock of the 450R. Id think the plastic should mimic the R of ol.

250Renvy
11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Creech52
Ya mineral brings up a good point. Id love to have my hand in creating the next gen 250R but two strokes are so highly frowned upon by the tree huggers and basically outlawed, it would be hard to market such a bike.

I think something similar to the way new bikes are going with hybrid aluminum subframed or even a total aluminum frame. A nice stout PV'd motor like the rotrax in the gas gas 300s. Then using the a-arms and swinger along with the rolling stock of the 450R. Id think the plastic should mimic the R of ol.

Not so much about next generation as just preservation and abundance of parts. If you had cases a frame and pipe you could go to town with CR250 parts as well as 450 parts.

I suspect despite the years of parts being produced, the numbers of 250R in existence and the numbers of usable or new parts (prices) are much less than that of CR250's and 450R's out there.

BTW bombardier already has 2-stroke motors that use less oil and less emissions and better fuel economy than 4-strokes. I don't know if it still has that 2-stroke hit though, but does have more power to weight.

Creech52
11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Well preserving is fine, but I think what would be a good idea is taking the basis of what makes an R such an amazing bike and bringing that into todays world with all the new technology. I mean if u can duplicate or better yet improve the great handling characteristics, and also have a similar power plant you would have an amazing platform. The details can just be adapted from the new bikes like using 450R brakes, spindles ect ect.

croat1
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
something to think about for sure. it is frustrating to find parts.
i would love a brand new arens frame. i have two r's that i am stock piling parts for. what would arens or walsh do if they got an order for say 10,20, or 30 new frames? if it was me i would make them for sure. i use to own a machine shop and i would never turn down work like that. also another example: ims/roll footpegs. the are discontinued but you can still find a few left. they are simple to make on a cnc machine.
to be continued.............

quad janern
11-27-2008, 02:45 AM
i really like your idea :)

C-LEIGH RACING
11-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Years ago there was a company down in Mexico that produced a ready to race flat track bike named Gringo.

Bike looked like a reproduction champion frame & had a Yamaha copy engine. Engine had no name on it anywhere but was a copy of an early model air cooled 1973/74 YZ250 & 360cc.
Came ready to flat track race with spool front wheel, right side shift, piped & carbed ready to go. Was a good price as well best I can remember.

Now, if somebody down that way remembed that company, if they were still in business or what ever & could talk them into producing the 250R again, now that would be sweet.
Neil

All250R
11-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think an investor who isn't looking to make a solid profit is going to invest enough to take on the job that Honda abandoned. I think it's cool that Service Honda is making 500cc motorcycles. In fact they made a "250R' out of a 400ex. If the 450 came out sooner, maybe the R engine would be in that instead, but either way I doubt these bikes are flying off the shelves.

The problem isn't so much technology in the engine or the chassis for that matter. Clean 2stroke technology is out there and Honda knows it. They were at an SAE conference along with EvinRude's parent company earlier this year for new 2stroke technology. The problem is profit/business and mass marketing. It's going to be tough to build a company that isn't a charity case without customers wanting 2strokes with all the 4strokes in the mainstream (tv, magazines, etc, not to mention everyone around is buying 4strokes). If customers for quads/bikes are not involved deeper than the common media and trendiness they're just going to adopt what's most immediately in their face. Most people don't think beyond the surface and that's a long standing fact of average human behavior. The business owners and operators of this company will need to be highly savvy and in the business or I don't think it's going to survive to be anything very significant imo. I think currently there is more of a market for the original R in nostaligic shape though I do wish as much or more than most for the mainstream and money to return to a 2stroke platform.
2cents worth!