PDA

View Full Version : want to introduce myself. new ds 450

hotshotgoal30
11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
hey guys im new here and i just purchased a brand new leftover ds 450. i have wanted one since i seen them starting to make them. i used to work at can am dealer so that were i learned about them. i finally just said screw it im buying one. im coming off a raptor 660 that i sold for this. but i have a few questions. are there any recalls or bulletins i should know about? when i bought this the engine like other sounded to me real loud not right. so my dealer because i used to work there and they know me uncrated another and to them it sounded identical. to me not so much but maybe because im the one spending the money. anyways they called brp on the clutch and they put a claim on file and said thats the way it is. once again to me i was a little leary. and apparently if you want the updated clutch you have to pay for it? its not a recall just a bulletin? is this correct? so anyways i get it home and drive it up and down the streets for awhile and i noticed that coming from what sounds like the right side of the engine is a clicking noise. but its not all the time. only like when i go to pull a wheelie like when the motor is under pressure i want to say. it doesnt do it if i just rev it in neutral. any ideas? im going to ride it for the weekend and more than likely let them look at it. i know they will take care of me whatever it may be. dont get me wrong i love the thing but when you spend that much money i dont really expect the clutch to making noise and the engine to sound like it has no oil (first thing my dad says when i pull in the garage).

ProspectorJim
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I also came from riding a 660. The engine just makes alot of noise.I also had someone say it sounded like there was no oil in it. You just have to get used to it.

The noise on the right side is most likely your chain hitting the chain guide.

The clutch noise is just an annoyance.

hotshotgoal30
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
yeah these things are totally different than my raptor. i love it though. but if you say that the clicking is the chain i dont really see how it could be. my chain is super tight. obviously it just was uncrated. and like i said its only when im going to pull a wheelie. like when the engine is "under a load" so to speak. more or less the engine is noisy. if i were to let one of my buddies ride it and they heard the way it sounds not just only the engine but this ticking. they would be like wow what a piece of junk. lol

ProspectorJim
11-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I say the chain because I have the same problem. It doesn't matter how tight it is, when the shock compresses and decompresses it moves the chain around a little bit and it makes a clicking sound when it hits the chain guide. Does your's do it when you let off the throttle quickly too? or is it only when you do a wheelie?

If you haven't broken it in yet, that may be the problem. Mine made tons of strange little noises during break in that made me feel like it was about to come apart.

hotshotgoal30
11-26-2008, 02:01 PM
mine is not broken in at all. really havnt rode it yet. i just picked it up last night. maybe half hour of just messing around in my driveway and street. and like what you said about how you felt it was ready to fall apart, thats exzactly how i feel about it right now and i hate to say it. but im going to put some saddle time on it this weekend and see how i goes

crixal
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
to see if it's your chain making the noise set the rear up so the back tires can spin and watch the chain. mine made a noise to and it turned out to be the chain. i tightened it up and everything is great. it's a great quad, don't get discouraged.

WarBirdMech
11-26-2008, 04:28 PM
the clutch noise is normal. the clutch isnt getting enough oil at the top of the plates during idle.
the changes for the clutch are just a bulletin not a recall.

you can just change to the new clutch cover. but i recommend getting motoworks basket or switching to the new can-am basket and extra plate.

fastford
11-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Pipe, filter, wire cut and leave the air box lid off. Its a night and day difference.

hotshotgoal30
11-27-2008, 12:27 AM
im not discouraged i guess id just say nervous. the reason i bought a new machine was to not have probs. so i just hope all the noises and everything turn out to be nothing. as fars as the wire cut and pipe im dying to do it after all iv read. but i want to break it in first and i also want to honestly do it right and buy a full pipe then cut the wire. i want the most poper i can get. i like the looks of the fmf and the motoworks full kit. but for 600$ that mod will be a little while for saving up time

crixal
11-27-2008, 07:46 AM
if want the most power you can get out of a pipe & filter, you should wait for sparks, dasa and ct racing. i'm sure you won't be dissappointed if you wait.

WesDS450X
11-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Screw that, get a motoworks sr4 pipe

WesDS450X
11-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Screw that, get a motoworks sr4 pipe

hotshotgoal30
11-27-2008, 01:35 PM
i love the look of the motoworks. but iv heard great things about the rossiar or w/e its called. but they just dont look as nice. but like i said i want power not looks. lol

joeyds450x
11-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by hotshotgoal30
i love the look of the motoworks. but iv heard great things about the rossiar or w/e its called. but they just dont look as nice. but like i said i want power not looks. lol
go with the hmf bill balance pipe..its loud and made for bottom end power..im not a bit dissapointed with this pipe

crixal
11-27-2008, 09:19 PM
i'll get a motoworks if the big 3 don't put out something before feb. but i really think it will be worth the wait. no other companies come close to them.

Punk'd
11-28-2008, 02:17 AM
Rotax engines are known to be a little on the noisey side. That noise your hearing in the engine is the cam chain slack hitting the engine caseing.

Freaked me out at first too, but I can't complain. It's been flawless so far.

BamBam730
11-28-2008, 08:51 AM
If it means anything to you I have a 2007 ds650 X that when it was new I was surprised at the amount of engine noise it had. I had just switched over from riding a Honda for a long time that almost made no noise. The engine noise is fine, the Can-am is a beast compared to a Honda. These rotax engines are built very well and the noise is nothing to worry about. Good luck and enjoy your ds, you wont regret buying it.

hotshotgoal30
11-28-2008, 12:44 PM
hey punk'd so you have the same noise? sounds like its coming from the right side when sitting on it? almost like a clicking noise. shouldnt there be a way to adjust it? lol and i dont want you guys to get the wrong idea here because i love the thing. i think anyone who spends that much on a machine and starts hearing things like that would be questioning what was going on. to the average person who is not terribly mechanichly inclined it just didnt sound normal. but i appreciate all you guys chiming in it makes me feel better

BSTURDIVANT
11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
It's comming from the chain- when pulling hard, it slaps the lower guide! Way too loose from the factory!
Adjust the chain to about 1" of play- just be sure to push up and down on the swingarm in neutral and set it at the tightest point.
Don't make it too tight or you can break the engine case!