PDA

View Full Version : help, new racer here

tants
12-14-2002, 09:31 PM
i plan on racing this spring. i know you have to be 16 to get an ama card. could someone tell me everything i have to do to be able to race. like how do i get an ama card, what do i do on first race day, where to line up on the first race. etc...
thanks so much

YLW400
12-14-2002, 09:46 PM
good question.;)

bradley300
12-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Asuming this is for cross country racing

i dont think you need to be 16 to get an ama card, i thought i saw the revised rules that said 14, 15 year olds could now race on certain full size quads. (not sure which ones though)

you can sign up for the ama at any ama sponsred race (39 competition membership)

just show up with your bike and ready to race at your first race with a kill switch and plenty of money
$10 gate fee
$39 ama membership
$30 dollar race entry fee
If you can, try to hook up with one of us exriders before the race in case you get confused. since your under age, you will probably need a parent thier with you. check www.gnccracing.com about it.

each class has its own marked starting line so all you have to do is look for the line with your class name.

Since it will be your first race, just take your time and let people pass you when they yell. when they pass try to study thier riding style, especially around corners, this will help lots.

just try to have fun and make finishing the race your goal and dont give up!! You will have a blast.

mx517
12-15-2002, 09:03 AM
if you plan on racing in district 34, which is waldenmx diamondback and southwoods than go to http://www.mscmotocross.com/ . also go to www.waldenmx.com and on the home page is jeanine prices phone number. You can buy the district 34 card from her and ask her questions.

rookiex
12-15-2002, 09:08 AM
If you are racing MX....you have to have your ama card and you district slip....Go to where you have to sighn up bring enough money you'll need it...then go up for practice....when your out there take your time , study the track....Try and get good in the whoops and turns...after that you get off the track and wait till its time to race...if you can watch the quad pro classes or tape them too if you have a camera....that helps for future races....then when its time to race you might pick pins thats what we do....they call your number thats on the pen and you go up to the gate...line up to where you think you can get to the first turn the fastest...Don't be afraid of the others around you they might have sick quads but you might be better than them....watch the gate when they raise the card...them when it drops be on the front of the quad and rail the trottle clutch and start shiftin...after that its up to you all I can say is have fun....the gate is the most pressing time...and when they push you push them back don't give up your spot make them work for it....I went out there my first race thinkin I would get dead last in the C class out of 25 riders....I got second....don't underestamate your self or who you are riding aginst....

tants
12-15-2002, 10:03 AM
mx517 yes i plan on racing d34. if i call now (im 15) how can she check if im 16 or not? could i get the ama card over the phone?
also my first race should i bring anything speacial? like my birth cergificate (sp?) or even my social s. number?
thanks so much guys, and keep it coming!

400exRacerX
12-15-2002, 11:50 AM
You dont need to be 16 to get a ama card. You just need to be 16 to race above 90cc.

tants
12-18-2002, 01:06 PM
bump

chavez
12-18-2002, 01:19 PM
1 dont get an ama card get a atva card does the same thing except the money goes to helping quads and special litigation for quads like the right to ride stuff like that.
2 i dont know the new rules for this year but last year if you were not of legal age you had to have a parent or guardian there with you to sign all the legal wavers.
you can log onto atva and find out the rules

tants
12-18-2002, 03:50 PM
anyone no atva site?

SGA
12-18-2002, 08:06 PM
here ya go. Join them instead of tha ama. They are a spin off of ama. you get all of the same as you would at the ama, and you can use your card at all ama events. http://www.atvaonline.com/

JUSTINcredible
12-18-2002, 08:17 PM
The AMA did pass a new age rule, The rule states that 14-15 year olds can ride a production ATV 91cc-200cc 2 stroke or a 91cc-300cc four-stroke in the sport or youth class. The stipulations say that when sitting on the quad with their hands at the controls there must be a bend at the elbows and all levers and controls can be operated properly. When standing on the foot pegs there must be 3 inches between the seat and the riders inseam.
I wish when I was 14 this rule was in effect
:D

The One!!!
12-20-2002, 04:02 PM
get your ama card and show up and have fun get in a class that is ment for you

R-Crazy
12-20-2002, 06:08 PM
also, make sure the track allows a younger person to ride there. i dont know if Waldon does, i dont think so.

dave

kc 300EX
12-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Tantz..........ok, first race of the season, go to track with lots of $$$$, trust me........buy ama card, $39, must have parents with you, no need for birth certificate when I did it(im sure it wouldnt hurt to bring though) as long as a parent or guardian signs for you, you will be set.......30 dollars for district 34 card, 10 dollars for gate fee, 20 dollars per class...........you might as well wait til racing starts to get your AMA card or you will be renewing it at a funny time every year........get there early, expect a long line, expect the people to be morons who know nothing about nothing, expect the people in the line who ride quads to be very nice, and the guys on bikes to be jerks, and thats it, be ready to race

QuadTrix6
12-21-2002, 07:38 PM
is it just me or do quad racers get less respect at the tracks :grr

ny300exrider
12-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
The AMA did pass a new age rule, The rule states that 14-15 year olds can ride a production ATV 91cc-200cc 2 stroke or a 91cc-300cc four-stroke in the sport or youth class. The stipulations say that when sitting on the quad with their hands at the controls there must be a bend at the elbows and all levers and controls can be operated properly. When standing on the foot pegs there must be 3 inches between the seat and the riders inseam.
I wish when I was 14 this rule was in effect
:D
im so happy about that...i turn 14 next year so i hope my track will have that class cuz i will probly be racing my 300:) thats a good reason for me to keep my 300 and mod it more lol

ny300exrider
12-21-2002, 07:42 PM
quadtrix...i dont think its just you lol

AtvMxRider
01-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
is it just me or do quad racers get less respect at the tracks :grr

No it's not just you, your right.