PDA

View Full Version : 2009 DS450 X MX - no tether?

revegadex
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey everyone... new member, pretty cool forum.

I was just wondering if any of you guys/gals who got an X MX or X XC quad received the tether on your quad that was advertised in all of the pre-production hype? There is even a section in the owner's manual but my quad has no tether.

race bum
11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I had the same question while doing the PDI on the first DS 450 X MX I got and the tether did not make final production. I can not tell you why it just did not make it. They also had us take the tethers off of the DS 90 X's also. I think it must be a attorney deal. At one time Epic had a photo on their web site that showed what wires and where they were to splice a tether into. Good luck.

crixal
11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
don't mean to sound like an idiot, but what is a "tether"?

ProspectorJim
11-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by crixal
don't mean to sound like an idiot, but what is a "tether"?

a tether killswitch. Like the ones on jet skis so if you fall off the quad stops moving. They're required to race which is weird that the ds450x mx doesn't come with one out of the box.

revegadex
11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I put a call in with Can-Am to find out what happened. I just wasn't sure if my dealer decided they needed it more than I do. Will let ya know when I hear something. I was wondering if it was a liability issue too. You would think they researched that before they started to advertise it as "race ready"....

WarBirdMech
11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
there was a recall on the 90x tethers. they wouldnt shut the machine off if pulled out.

so if it was the same tether design on the 450 they are probably in the process of changing and didnt get it worked out in time for release.

no bulletins on it yet

WarBirdMech
12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
bulletin has been posted finally.

here she is:

December 8, 2008

Dear BRP Can-Am ATV Dealers,
Following supplier quality issues beyond BRP's control please be advised that the engine shut-off tether switch will no longer be featured on 2009 DS 450 XMX, DS 450 XXC and DS 90 X models. As a result of this change and in an effort to not penalize the network, BRP adjusted the price structure on all unshipped vehicles affected, and on October 2nd 2008, issued parts account credits to cover the cost of the eliminated feature for vehicles already within dealer inventory. Following this prompt action, it has come to my attention that select dealers were unaware of the change, thus, the reason for this communication.

For units in dealer inventory, credit memos issued on October 2nd were accompanied by a memo comment stating the credit is due to the "lack of the tether engine shut-off switch feature." Credits were issued in the following dollar amounts:
3L9A, DS 90 X: -$41 (USD & CDN)
3G9A, DS 450 XXC: -$43 (USD & CDN)
3H9A, DS 450 XMX: -$43 (USD & CDN)
Unshipped vehicles affected by this situation received adjustments prior to vehicle invoicing, which was transparent in terms of dealer impact.

To better inform consumers and effectively manage the expectation, all retail price lists were revised to reflect a -$50 MSRP reduction. Updates were also made to the individual model specification sheets posted on the BRP website and BOSSWeb to reflect the feature changes for these three specific models. We also plan to include this information in an upcoming issue of What's News as another dealer reminder.

Please make sure your team is aware of the specification changes on these three models and we hope this has not created any inconvenience for you or your dealership.

Good selling!

Jimmie O'Dell
Manager Call Center & Technical Publications

TNT
12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I just bought an 09 without one. Looked at the wire diagram and coming out of kill switch, by left grip red button down the harness under the front plastic where the wires are exposed there is a violet or beige wire that when you use the kill switch with a test light probed(poked in the wire) in one of the wires will kill or shut the test light off when you use the red kill button on the bars. The other wire off the tether goes to ground. They make these little neat connectors that penetrate the wire without the need for a splice or cut you get at the hardware store.

TNT
12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Just installed mine the violet wire is the power cut off on 09.

TNT
12-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by TNT1
Just installed mine the violet wire is the power cut off on 09.

Take that back it blew the ECM fuse next time I tried it. Anyone know what wire is the cut off switch to connect the tether to?