PDA

View Full Version : new PIPE rule

DAVYS DAD
11-26-2008, 05:55 AM
did anyone see the new rules yet just a few changes one rule says that an atv pipe must not be higher than the top of the frame rails and can not stick out past the rear grab bar.
some guys with the MK pipe may need to make changes to meet this new rule. Mark has the right idea the way his pipe is installed
tucked under the grab bar. just wanted to let you guys know
before the season started No need to get protested besause of
the way the pipe is installed. hope this helps you guys out.

LATER

DAVY WOODBURY#72
MICHIGAN 50LIMITED CHAMP 07 and 08
NICK WOODBURY#22 up and comming

THANKS TO RB -RACING AND TRICKS BY HICKS
FOR ALL THERE HELP

Steven623
11-26-2008, 09:15 AM
If thats the new rule that means that EVERY DRX 50 is illegal for the 50 stock / limited class.

DAVYS DAD
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
i was reading this in my atva news letter maybe i read it wrong
but im pretty sure thats what it says. for the stock drx i think all you have to do is trim the tail pipe a little so it doesnt stick out farther than the grab bar.

LATER
DAVY WOODBURY#72
michigan 50 limited champ 07 and 08
NICK WOODBURY#22 up and comming

THANKS TO RB-RACING AND TRICKS BY HICKS
FOR ALL THE WORK

poppy
11-26-2008, 12:46 PM
next they will cut down any tree within a 100 feet of the track
full wheel covers for the motorcycles. no rocks on track over 1/2 round. gloves without fingers so you can not pinch your finger.rubber foot pads feul that doesnt burn parts that do not break. sorry people doug morris is an idiot and he is the one who okays these quads from the factory to make sure they are lega. he is the guy who checks your quads at the nationals. he will send you away because of a number plate but never sent anyone away for a too long pipe and muffler. they have been running these pipes for at least two years how many kids have been hurt on these pipes. just more bull crap

bulldogfallon
11-26-2008, 01:01 PM
The stock DRX silencer will need to be cut down and the ATVA has already been made aware of this and are ok with it from my understanding.

coffing918
11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
is that the lil metal peice that sticks out off the pipe like 2 or 3 inches, so we have to cut them off????????

rmuscle
11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
From what I can see you would have to cut the whole 1/2 round piece that sticks out of the silencer. Gary would this effect the pipe at all

JIM GRACE
11-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by coffing918
is that the lil metal peice that sticks out off the pipe like 2 or 3 inches, so we have to cut them off????????

if you guy's are going to do the d-6 series next year it might
be an issue, but local tracks should be fine. i sure wont say anything:D

are you going to make the last race of the year this sunday?

rmuscle
11-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Where is there a race this weekend around here

coffing918
11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
if you guy's are going to do the d-6 series next year it might
be an issue, but local tracks should be fine. i sure wont say anything:D

are you going to make the last race of the year this sunday?

ya we should deffenetly be there

rmuscle
11-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Im
Originally posted by coffing918
ya we should deffenetly be there I'm from ct where is there a race this sunday?

Logan #34's Dad
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow Poppy, going a lil overboard eh? Is it really that big of a deal? Whether you like it or not, the MK pipe in its stock form is dangerous. So do you want Morris to be proactive or reactive? I cut and spun my MK pipe for safety and because it just looks stupid. Mini racer #39's (Havert) MK pipe is cut and looks great and performs awesome. The 50cc parents are the only ones that need to worry since they are so restricted (but that sounds like a simple fix).

coffing918
11-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by rmuscle
Im I'm from ct where is there a race this sunday?

ATCO NJ

jerkyboy
11-27-2008, 07:10 AM
If this is true Im goimg to miss those round cicules on my pants.

riding4fun
11-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by jerkyboy

LOL, How true.

Steven623
11-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Ha Ha! Jerkboy thats a good one! I think I heard they are going to give all the owners a hacksaw with ever purchase so they can cut them off themselves!
Actually the rules have said for YEARS that the pipe can't be longer than the rear tires, and they have always been legal.
The Metrakit pipes were legal by the rules, so now they are changing the rules so they have to be altered or changed to be LEGAL. With all the problems I had with people complaining about us at our local races I was told at the last district 6 race that the pipe was illegal! Then when the rules were shown they ALLOWED us to finish the event without getting protested.
After looking at the rules, I e-mailed D.M. and told him about the 50's being illegal for the past few years . Now supposedly from what I have heard , the ends will have to be cut off the 50's pipes to be legal. Where if this was done before now, people would have complained that it was illegal cause you modified it for the 50 stock /limited class???
I was ALSO told by D.M. that you CAN NOT bolt a longer grab bar on, which there are nut inserts for. Also, you can not cut the frame off and bolt on an another style bumper to get more area for a muffler.. The muffler can not be longer than the frame(grab area). The rules used to say not longer than the rear tires, now they haven't been posted yet, but now the muffler can not be longer than the original frame grab area?
Just thought this info may help people have there quads ready.

coffing918
11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jerkyboy

i have circles on all of the pants i wear to the track

lol

mini racer #39
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Like Logan's dad stated , our pipe is cut. And it works great. It doesn't hang out the back and it didn't take long to do. ONE reason that we cut the pipe "What if you get rear ended?" HMMM makes more sense to get it now before your whole pipe gets broke. So I guess i dont understand why it's being made such a big deal. Anyways Doug Morris has done a lot for this sport. A lot more then you or I even know about. I wouldn't want his job for anything but I will give him a BIG thanks for making it possible for my son to race! Erik's Mom

Hetrick Racing
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
It is a rule.
the pipe that sticks up( MK )is very unsafe in the eyes of almost every person that has looked at it.For good reason.
I would not even sell one that I didnt make fit under the frame rail.
Also I am waiting for one peice of info before I would tell you to change your stock 50 pipe.They will have to make stock rule exceptions.(we hope)

bulldogfallon
12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Good words of precaution HR..

Funny thing is that so many people still cheat in the 50cc class, does cutting the tip off make a difference?

We were at Loretta's and saw a 90cc cvt cover on a 50...cut down silencer....Koso silencers etc....oil injection blocked--easy to see when the oil tanks are empty :)

Even a brand that is not approved by the ATVA ran in the 50cc class...

Really a sad thing, but I guess it's a reality...

I guess it's too bad for someone like myself that spent money and time to make my quad 100% legal by the book only to get slapped in the face when we showed up.

Maybe next year it will change?

snowbalz
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Does the new rule say you have to cut off the silencer end or just cut down the pipe so it does not stick out past the grab bar.
Personally if I need to cut my pipe shorter I wouldn't mind cutting down some of the head pipe. Hmmm ???

bulldogfallon
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Just the turn down cut..I believe drr already cleared this with Doug Morris of the ATVA.

Hetricks advice should be taken until their is an official announcement....

Hetrick Racing
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
That is true but the best part.
Will Harness won the championship with a legal quad that we built.

bulldogfallon
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
It ran well for sure

Congrats on the title (hetrick and harness) both did an outstanding job!!!

We are going to make a run next year in the 50 class....

Do you have anyone filling harness's spot yet?

Should be lots of fun and some good racing...

Hetrick Racing
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Yea the boy that won at Johnstown and at unadilla.
DJ BASSANI
is very much so looking to do the nationals this year.
He has the only other complete national 50 that we had built last year.
we sold a bunch of those cylinders but not the complete combo

snowbalz
12-02-2008, 04:44 PM
That's a bummer I would love to shorten that head pipe for some free power.

By the way we ran against DJ BASSANI
in the last 2 d34 races and man he does have a fast quad and a good rider. Good luck at the nationals.

coffing918
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
Yea the boy that won at Johnstown and at unadilla.
DJ BASSANI
is very much so looking to do the nationals this year.
He has the only other complete national 50 that we had built last year.
we sold a bunch of those cylinders but not the complete combo

we also ran against dj bassain d6. he is an awesome racer, and has a fast fast quad .awesome kid, nice family!!!!!!