PDA

View Full Version : detailing a 400ex

elasesino
11-25-2008, 10:58 PM
As some of you have seen, I'm new to the ATV scene. This is my first bike, ever.

I purchased an 02 400ex, and the guy that owned it before me seemed to know alot about maintaining it, but wasn't really good about keeping it clean.

For my first few washes, I've soaked it in simple green, and used the old sponge and hose technique.

Do ya'll have any tips on cleaning/detailing these bikes? Anything I should/shouldn't do?

I've seen some beautifully cleaned quads on here and would appreciate any tips.
http://i33.tinypic.com/vngkzm.jpg

Pipeless416
11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
you're quad looks pretty darn clean to me. if you use a power washer, just make sure that you don't spray around any seals/ gaskets. water will find its way into some weird places.. also, for the cooling fins most people end up using a toothbrush.. lots of work, but i haven't heard of or thought of a better way.. its worse with a black engine.. :o a lot of people also spray the entire quad down with wd40 so dirt doesn't grab as well. some people even spray the fenders with Pam.

tyman2395
11-25-2008, 11:04 PM
when i clean my 400 all i use is some mr clean and a powerwasher. Some people take all the plastics off to clean them. I just ussaly take the back plastics off and spray them done and clean with mr clean. Then when it's all clean wipe it down with some armor all. hope that helps some. nice 400 by the way hope you enjoy it

elasesino
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
In this particular pic, I had just cleaned it the night before. This picture was taken before I loaded it up for my first ride on it.

I paid $1700 for this bike, and the guy threw in some ramps, and an extra set of rear wheels. It's got a White Brothers exhaust, and everything else is stock.

Mine looks good, but I've seen some quads on here that look phenomenal.

11-26-2008, 06:58 AM
hours of elbow grease...take almost everything off...

the black frame is hard to get to look clean and i haven't actually done the motor since i got this bike...i will say this is that mothers wheel cleaner in the YELLOW bottle(the red bottle does not do as well) will do wonders for your motor if you don't want or have the time for the toothbrush on it

i am ashamed of how dirty mine is in these pics:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/XKJWU-DSC00947.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/KXZIP-DSC00949.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/QXXQZ-DSC00951.JPG

11-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah after each ride I have a hard time gettin the motor perfectly clean. All the mud and dirt dries too it. Im going to try some engine degreaser and a toothbrush I suppose...

Lonestar_R
11-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I hose off all the heavy mud and then spray it down with simple green or now I have been using Zep Citrus from Home depot. Then I hose it off again then use a wash mitt and a bucket of soap and water and hand wash everything. and she comes out like this.

P.S. Speedy you better scrub those raised yellow letters

Pappy
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
hard work , powerwasher and a rag with a hands on appraoch.

having everything powdercoated tends to speed the process up...alot:devil:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/2350995410_d4ccbd9dda_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2351010288_44061494ec_o.jpg

11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
hey pappy, ya know of any good powdercoaters...lol...i am thinking white frame...just like a white car, easy to keep and look clean...the black is a beyotch

that dang yellow will not come off...bleche white won't even get it...i have some stuff that will, but it will also eat the tire

Lonestar_R
11-26-2008, 02:42 PM
No speedy.....I'm talkin about the brown on them...look at mine. You quit loadin them up with that damn armor all they will be yellow

lilyamaharacer4
11-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
hey pappy, ya know of any good powdercoaters...lol...i am thinking white frame...just like a white car, easy to keep and look clean...the black is a beyotch

that dang yellow will not come off...bleche white won't even get it...i have some stuff that will, but it will also eat the tire

Dont get white if you plan on doing anything other than dunes or drags. My buddys 460 has a white frame and its a real PITA to keep clean and he regrets making it white since he now takes it on the trails.

11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
i have had white hubs for years...it cleans easier than anything else except silver

i don't use armor all on my tires...i know what you are talking about...it don't bother me...they are tires

krt400ex
11-26-2008, 06:29 PM
lots of simple green and a toothbrush is how i get it done. for really heavy grease and oil/carbon/fuel i use a toothbrush and brake clean. that stuff works wonders as long as you dont let it dry.

racerdan24
11-27-2008, 10:09 AM
believe it or not....i have been using that new turtle wax ice on the plastics and has worked really well....mud,water etc seems to clean right off with a hose and microfiber wash mitt

sportbikeridr
11-27-2008, 11:40 AM
i use the hose n bucket method to wash my 400ex .. but i go a step further, to get that "showroom shine " now your gonna laugh .... i use clear floor wax to get that shine ... but i do ride and also i do take care of my 400ex

11-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by racerdan24
believe it or not....i have been using that new turtle wax ice on the plastics and has worked really well....mud,water etc seems to clean right off with a hose and microfiber wash mitt

Dude, that is a sweeet ex.

tri5ron
11-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by sportbikeridr
i use the hose n bucket method to wash my 400ex .. but i go a step further, to get that "showroom shine " now your gonna laugh .... i use clear floor wax to get that shine ... but i do ride and also i do take care of my 400ex

I was thinking about trying a floor wax also. something like Mop'nGlo.

racerdan24
11-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Killa......I love this quad....almost as much as my wife and kid....She hates all the attention it gets....