PDA

View Full Version : 440ex, no compression

Cigarcaptain
12-14-2002, 09:00 PM
After installing the big sleeve and piston, I have only 60 lbs comp. not enough to make it start, if I squirt oil in the cylinder it jumps to 150 lbs comp, and starts right up,but after a minute or two of running the exhaust pipe gets red, it will restart but only after another shot of oil in the cylinder.
I took the engine completely back apart to make sure the rings were not broken and the ring gaps were stagered. Valves seal and no marks or bent parts. maybe I am not timing the cam properly but after reassembly it still has only 60 lbs comp.
I am sooooo frustrated What am I doing wrong ? Any suggestions would be helpfull.

12-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Sounds like your rings are not seating correctly.

Check the following.

Exact cyl bore at several places.

Exact bore your rings are for. (not just 440 but what mm bore)

Measure your ring gaps.

Piston od or if its new get it from the mfg also.

There have been cases where the rings are not correct for the bore. Also did you have the cyl honed? Get as much info as possible and post it up.

Cigarcaptain
12-14-2002, 09:22 PM
The piston and rings are new , Weisco, I had a machine shop press the sleeve out and install the new big bore sleeve, they bored and honed to fit as per specs on the Weisco box. (well thats what they said they did )

12-14-2002, 11:29 PM
The oil test leads to bad rings or normally worn rings or cyl so I would get some measurements.

The redhot pipe leads me to thinking it may be running lean but then again it doesnt sound like its running.

Is the motor at running temp when you are testing it?

You may need to tear it down again and start getting some measurements since there are many diff bores that get called a 440 (88.5mm- 89mm) and you could have either a over bored cyl or undersized rings, but then it could just be something else too.

Do you have any other info on the kit?

e gracie
12-15-2002, 02:46 AM
ya never did wat i did i ope...turned engine clockwise when setting valves/ as this lets thre compressor kik in an u get the wrong reading on ex valve u actually leaving it open i did it an took me ages to see what was wrong..only a thought from accross the chanel....