PDA

View Full Version : Hot Frickin Pipe

snacob14
11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I just picked up a 05 yfz450. I took this thing out to ride tonight and after about 20 minutes the headpipe was glowing super bright and putting off a lot of heat. Is this normal???? The guy I bought it from put a twin air filter on it, but thats it. No other mods. I was thinking of taking the lid off, and pulling out the baffle. Then going up two jet sizes? Does this sound like it will fix my problem. I am wanting to get some more power out of it, but I definitely don't want to damage anything. I'm planning on riding on Thursday, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Imagineurnation
11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I would say it is normal i have two YFZ's and both do it!

Ryan
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I've never really noticed it with mine. I know when I bought my YFZ from the dealer, is was running real lean. I toke out baffle, put a new filter and rejetted it. But I know the pipes do put off alot of heat... In the summer, i'll put an ace bandage around my one calf to keep the heat off if im riding for a long time.

You can get good power by pulling out the baffle. But it is gonna be alot louder. I don't take my YFZ out to much because im sure my neighbors aren't enjoying it.

Toadz400
11-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Rejet it. They come lean from the factory.

Pono
12-01-2008, 01:11 AM
it is normal for a pipe to glow. most of the time people dont really notice bc while they are riding, the wind cools it enough so it doesnt glow. once you stop for a lil bit it heats back up and glows bright. ive even lit a cigarette on mine before. but as stated above the yfz does come lean from the factory so rejet

Toadz400
12-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Pono
it is normal for a pipe to glow. most of the time people dont really notice bc while they are riding, the wind cools it enough so it doesnt glow. once you stop for a lil bit it heats back up and glows bright. ive even lit a cigarette on mine before. but as stated above the yfz does come lean from the factory so rejet

It IS normal for the headpipe to glow, but only to a certain extent. Mine used to glow bright orange/red when I first got it After I jetted it correctly there is a slight glow at the very beginning of the headpipe.

csr250r
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Mine has always glown reddish orangish color, and ive had stock and aftermarket headers and different jetting. I think its normal but make sure you are not too lean.