View Full Version : 450R shocks w/works triple rate springs

tri5ron
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok Guys,
first off let me say that I have been reading all the threads I can find on using 450r front shocks on a 400ex.
(this is a popular suspension mod, for the budget minded, on a 400EX),

they do greatly improve the handeling, from the stock "pogo sticks" that come on the 400EX, ... BUT most folks say that the stock 450R shocks are a bit harsh on the slower/smaller bump rides. so what most guys with 450R shocks/stock springs, do is...
back the preload setting off all the way, soften the compression setting almost all the way, and set the rebound setting to about 1/4 to 1/3 from full soft.
(hence,why I bought the new triple rate springs).

I have also read the "How to set-up your suspension" thread.
(and I realize that I will need to experiment with different settings once I get it out to the desert...),

So nowI have installed a set of '08 450R front shocks w/ new Works triple rate spring set, onto my '03 400EX. (the spring set is 600/600/215)
I am using stock a-arms, and my front wheels, are about 1" wider than stock front wheels. (each side).

I ride mostly desert/trail/rocky terrain, My riding weight is 180-190 lbs. I ride fairly fast (when the terrain allows), I hit alot of medium to large whoops, and I do not do alot of jumps. (2-3 feet off the ground is max. for me).

on the installation instructions that came with the spring set, it says to adjust the "static preload" to .250 inches, which gives me the recommended stack height of 10.65 inches. (this I have done).

so my question is....
What would be a good starting point for the compression, and rebound settings ?
and, what do I use to determin whether I need to add more preload to the springs?

PS- I do not have them revalved yet, and it may be a while before the piggy-bank allows for that.

(I'm really hoping to hear from Pappy, ZRPILOT, Bearair, pipeless416, and a few others, who have worked with 450R shocks, and various springs on the 450r shocks),

But I'll be happy to hear from everyone who has messed around with 450R shocks on a 400EX.

BTW- I do not ever race on a track, and am usually in sand,(but not dunes), whoops, or rocks, (lots of rocks) so I prefer to keep my ride height pretty tall to give me as much clearance over the rocks, as possible.

thanks for any advise you guys have.
Ron

Pipeless416
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey Ron, I'm sure you noticed before that the only way to "soften" the ride on the stock springs was to take away all the preload from them. With the works kit, you should be able to use preload for what it is meant for: ride height. Theres a great how to article that I'll leave at the bottom. It's hard for me to determine where the compression and rebound should be, since I used the setup on extended arms. However, I did notice that I felt a lot more comfortable with the rebound a bit slower. Again, compression is iffy since I'm not sure how the springs ride on stock arms..

http://www.atvrideronline.com/tech/100_0508_set_up_suspension/index.html

Hope this helps!

tri5ron
11-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I got the Works Springs installed tonight, and just thought I'd add a pic.
(btw- THANKS Mike, I cant wait to try them out!)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8842.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8841.jpg

Also, I have painstakingly read through all 25 pages of the 450R shocks sticky-thread, and I THINK I have found the answers to my original questions....

It seems that even after switching to the Works triple rate springs, most people are still setting the compression rate at full soft, and the rebound slightly harder than full soft.

and it also seems that backing off the preload on the REAR stock 400EX shock, so that it is slightly lower than the front, and softening the rebound, is the preferred way to go.

does this sound correct ???
all replies are welcomed, Thanks

Pipeless416
11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
haha after re-reading your post I guess that didn't answer anything. After setting your ride height, I would almost just put both compression and rebound in the middle and take a flat head screwdriver with you on a test ride and just play around with the settings.

Pipeless416
11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
PS- I'm glad your quad doesn't smash them like mine did lol. Looks like they'll do much better for you than they did for me. :)

tri5ron
11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
OK, WHO'S FRIGGIN' TURN WAS IT TO BE ON WEATHER-WATCH ??? !!!!
I am NOT happy with whoever is supposed to be on this shift !!!

it just started raining, and the Weatherman just said, that within the next hour or so, we will be getting HEAVY rain with possible flooding, and it is expected to last at least through thursday.
This means our favored riding area will be swamped, and probably even closed!

we were planning on going camping over the Thanksgiving weekend, and I was looking forward to 3 full days of Riding and Landsailing, and dialing in my new shocks!

I AM NOT HAPPY !!!
And I want whoever it is that is responsible for this to stand up and take his well earned FLOGGING !!!
(then after the flogging, you can explain to my 7 and 9 year olds, why we are not going camping)......
Man This Sukz