PDA

View Full Version : some rebuild ?'s painting motors parts,color schemes,etc.

S.A.J
11-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Well i just got my 450r back a couple days ago after it being in the shop for almost 3months get wat was sposed to be a new crank bearing which turned out to have to be a,new crank,new RH case,new stator,new shift shaft,new front sprocket,and then we went ahead and added new dasa exhaust,hotcams stage2,and cp 12:5:1 piston.you see we bought it with the crank bearing out itd been standing for 2 yrs and the head pulled off already for $1500 thinking we had a good deal well now we spent $2000+ into it and i get it back got aprox. 2hrs on it and the tranny messes up(most likely the shifter fork)so now ima tear it ALL apart the motor and the rest of it and repair and get it painted.im gona get it painted not powdercoated for 3 reasons,1im getin a good deal cause my gfs dad owns his own bodyshop,2 it wont be used very roughly and will be nicely taken care of therefore it'll hold( i know p.c is tougher) and 3 you can do more custom looking stuff with paint.so for my questions....
ive seen pple powdercoat motor parts like motor mounts,the top part of the motor(idk wat its called,the part that has unicam on it),the clutch cover etc. so i was jw wat parts of the motor i could paint wthout 2 much heat for the paint becoming an issue. okay and now for the color schemes...the plastics are currently orange and if i keep the plastic color id prolly go with a black frame with some orange pearl in it,that in my opinion would be the only thing thtd look good with orange plastics.now i could always paint the plastics too and get even more of a custom look to it by paint it a rly nice color with a rly nice pearl in it,im thinking that somthing nice and clean cut slick looking would be nice(it wont have graphics or stickers on it)and im looking for color ideas,keep the orange and go wth black frame,or paint the plastics and start over scratch with color options.... SO any ideas sugestions of wat you think would look good for wat i want pics anything is welcome,oh and chrome or polishing MAY be an option too for parts.
-thanks,
Jared

pro-rider46
11-25-2008, 01:21 PM
well, heres my opinion, i wouldnt paint a single part of the engine, because, just about anything on it will be to hot for paint. and if your getting a really good deal on paint, then i suppose it will be ok, but i painted my frame, because i thought it would be cheaper, and easier. but it costs more, and made more of a hassle for me, pc is the way to go. Paint can cost 240-400 depending on the kind of base coat you want.and pearl is not cheap, and harlaquin cost 350 dollars for six ounces!. pc is 185 for a solid color from bk performance, and 225 for candy and dormants.

imo, i would not paint the plastics unless its a full duner.

Dave400ex
11-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I strongly recommend not using paint. Wouldn't paint plastic either. Paint just doesn't look good in the long run. As for heat on the engine, pc or paint won't hurt it. Mine was PCed and I didn't have a single problem.