PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil choices

Chet
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
I am getting ready for my first oil change, was wondering if anyone has used Shell Rotella Multigrade 10-30 non synthetic, I cannot find it, but it is a good value, are there any other high quality good value oil choices out there, that are available in most stores. are you guys running 10-30 or 5-30 wts I just hate to pay $6.00 PLUS for a qt of oil at my local ATV dealer

thanks
Chet

katch26
11-25-2008, 07:20 AM
I run rotella t
heres a thread that covers this exact question. When buying car oil make sure there are no friction modifiers or that it doesnt say energy conserving as it will cause more slip on the clutch is wet clutch applications.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370342&highlight=rotella

rideracelivemx7
11-25-2008, 10:32 AM
you hate to pay average price for good oil.... weh weh weh you own a bike you pay for a bike. fess up and spend the dam money and have a happy engine and less wear.

dunatic
11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Chet
I am getting ready for my first oil change, was wondering if anyone has used Shell Rotella Multigrade 10-30 non synthetic, I cannot find it, but it is a good value, are there any other high quality good value oil choices out there, that are available in most stores. are you guys running 10-30 or 5-30 wts I just hate to pay $6.00 PLUS for a qt of oil at my local ATV dealer

thanks
Chet

actually any synthetic oil with a CC/CD grade or better will work just fine. Find a Harley shop, ask them about "air cooled engine oils"

katch26
11-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
you hate to pay average price for good oil.... weh weh weh you own a bike you pay for a bike. fess up and spend the dam money and have a happy engine and less wear.

yeah cause it has to be good if it costs alot of money right? He has a legitimate question so why not answer it.....yes $6 is too much use the link I posted. I think I pay 10 a gallon...good stuff

CJM
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
I run mobil 1 full synthetic 15w-50, its like 2 bucks a qt at walmart.

buck440
11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
heck i just use anything i can find, if im desprate enough ill pop a few zits and use it :p

Chet
11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
you hate to pay average price for good oil.... weh weh weh you own a bike you pay for a bike. fess up and spend the dam money and have a happy engine and less wear. I will have to disagree on that quote, there are oils with the same specs at a better value, I feel the Honda oil is overpriced, and Shell Rotella Multigrade non synthetic 10-30 is equivelent or exceeds the Honda specs, once my quad has had 2 more oil changes I will switch over to Rotella 5-40 synthetic, I have used in both my bikes Yamaha FZ1 and my Suziki SV 650 with no issues. I have spoke to the people at Shell about both the Rotella's reg and Synthetics, they have told me that these oils are used widely in the motorcyles and ATV's, I could not find the Rotella Multigrade10-30, so I had to buy Honda oil today, like I mentioned once the motor is broken in, then it is all Rotella.

Chet

Wheelie
11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I run Honda oil and Honda filters only, since the quad was new. When the engine was tore down a couple years ago, the inside was spotless, and the wear on the cam/rockers/trans, etc was minimal. Great oil, IMO.

represent618
11-26-2008, 07:36 AM
The Honda Oil will not cause you any problems. I don`t think anyone means that. What they are saying is: Rotella T meets and in some specs exceeds the Honda Oil, and is cheaper.

I run the Rotella T 15W 40 Dino Oil currently in the engine, happy camper.

There are MANY choices, do not think that more expensive + more protection, that could not be further from the truth. Oil companies are in business to make money, not protect your investment...that part is up to you.

Mikeman1
11-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Rotella T in all of our machines.Works great.