PDA

View Full Version : New Tires

elasesino
11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I know I'm posting a bunch of newb questions here, but I'm completely new to the ATV world.

I'm looking for both front and rear tires that are a good compromise between mx and xc. Can ya'll make recommendations? I'm mainly looking for a trailriding tire, that can handle the track occassionally.

Thanks!

buck440
11-25-2008, 07:59 AM
maxxis razr oh yah, here's a picture of mine, you can get new ones on ebay for real cheap

buck440
11-25-2008, 08:04 AM
forgot my picture

katch26
11-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by elasesino
Sorry, I know I'm posting a bunch of newb questions here, but I'm completely new to the ATV world.

I'm looking for both front and rear tires that are a good compromise between mx and xc. Can ya'll make recommendations? I'm mainly looking for a trailriding tire, that can handle the track occassionally.

Thanks!

ITP trac stars
http://i37.tinypic.com/2vwix78.jpg

mooseracerX
11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Kenda Klaw MXR 20x11x9.
The link is to 10" rim but you get the point. :)
Kenda Klaw (http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/KENDA-KLAW-REAR-TIRE-22x11x10/?catalogId=103669&words=kenda+klaw&srchHistoryURL=fnjot93e||words~kenda%20klaw^parent CategoryID~category_root^categoryID~264^categoryNa me~ATV)

elasesino
11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
anyone have experience with the kenda klaws? They look like a pretty good all purpose tread.

CJM
11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Havent run the claws but have run the dominator on other atvs and always liked them. They hold up really well and hook pretty dang good for the price.

tyman2395
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
heres the tire i run there pirelli race rails there pretty good tire like i sometimes drive on the road and these hardly wore out. (this pic was taken while i was rebuilding my bike over the summer)

Eviltanker
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm running Klaws on the back of mine. They are holding up well. Very predictable tire. I have IRAZR's on the front and they are doing well also.

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by katch26
ITP trac stars
http://i37.tinypic.com/2vwix78.jpg

:rolleyes:

Maxxis Razr all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
What tire is he using....?

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Here is his quad stopped so you can acutally read his tire.. remember folks, 9 TIME GNCC CHAMP!

tyman2395
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
i used to have razrs but got rid of them because i wore them out maybe it was the burnouts or the big road trip lol. My race rails cost me 130 bucks a tire so for 2 i paid 260 but there pretty good tire

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Hmm.. what about Chris Borich.. what tire does he use?

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
What tire does Team KTM trust?

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Again, WHAT TIRE DOES TEAM KTM TRUST?!

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
What about Team Suzuki.. what brand of tire do they use and trust to help them win their GNCC Nationals?

tyman2395
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
ok we get it a lot of people trust razr's but some of us like them and some of us don't. It's all about what feel you like with your tires.

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:43 PM
So, lets review..

What brands trust the Maxxis Razr?

KTM

HONDA

SUZUKI

YAMAHA

4/6 of the 6 major companies trust and put their name on the line for the Maxxis Razr(2/I)

Also, chicks dig em! :p

11-25-2008, 01:48 PM
brauap..

do you also realize MAXXIS is a huge sponser? And sponsers the racers you mentioned?

So that means they get the tires for free I believe.. of course they're going to run them.

Just because a pro uses them doesn't mean it's their tire of choice.. it most likely means maxxis is a sponser for them so they run them.

The factories come with them stock BECAUSE people see it like you and say "wow.. it has razr's. Just like Bill Balance"

And they're probably the cheapest bidder of the pack so the factories get them the cheapest

tyman2395
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
i like maxxis tires just not razr's here are my front tires there maxxis front pros and i love them

Brauap
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
It may not be Bill Ballance's choice, but it sure did help him become a 9 of his GNCC National Champion!

Also, like I said before.. 4/6 major mfgs. trust Maxxis!

Lets visit the other 2..

Kawasawki and Can-Am..

How many riders do you see riding a Kawi win a GNCC National!?

What about Cam-Am (ATV)? Though I am pretty sure Can-Am uses Maxxis Tires on their Utilities.. (I think it is the "Big Horn" or something)

So that leaves the lonley Kawi! Again, how many riders do you see riding a Kawi win a GNCC National!?

11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
It may not be Bill Ballance's choice, but it sure did help him become a 9 of his GNCC National Champion!

Also, like I said before.. 4/6 major mfgs. trust Maxxis!

Lets visit the other 2..

Kawasawki and Can-Am..

How many riders do you see riding a Kawi win a GNCC National!?

What about Cam-Am (ATV)? Though I am pretty sure Can-Am uses Maxxis Tires on their Utilities.. (I think it is the "Big Horn" or something)

So that leaves the lonley Kawi! Again, how many riders do you see riding a Kawi win a GNCC National!?

Brauap, your missing the point.

Bill balance can easily win with holeshots, or trac-stars. It's not that crazy of a difference as your suggesting.

Those 4/6 companies dont "TRUST" them. They get them to increase sales to people like you that rave about them. And these atv manufactures buy the lowest bidders.

So if maxxis offered them razr's for production for lets say $35 a piece, and holeshot it offering theres to them for $40 a piece.. they're going to go with razr.

The man. can give two chits between the two. They get the cheaper tire. Thats all there is to it.

They may be a little better, but I bet 100% you wouldnt feel a huge difference between razr's and holeshots.

11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh, and about kawi or can-am.. its all about the riders..

Not running razr's wont let someone loose a race.. Thats a rediculous saying.

They dont have as good a rider. It's 75% rider 25% machine

mooseracerX
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I've never had to say this before but dang calm down. :o
I've used razrs and IMHO they suck. I would never buy another set. Had them on my 250ex in the snow I backed it out of the trailer and I got it stuck. I threw on my stock 400ex wheels and it went anywhere I pointed it. The same goes in the mud I couldn't get around any where. On gravel me and my dad felt that the quad fishtailed all over the place.

Honda#4
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
You give a pro any tire manufacter and im sure they'll make wins off it, it doesnt matter what tire it is. Maxxis has a good deal in sponserships for atv racing thats why you see alot of pros using them, if a pro switches teams im sure they'll switch sponsers so I dont think its a matter of whats the tire of trust I think it boils down to what teams have what sponsers.

IDK if this made sense but its my cents worth.

katch26
11-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by tyman2395
i like maxxis tires just not razr's here are my front tires there maxxis front pros and i love them
lol stock pred tires...good deal

katch26
11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Here is his quad stopped so you can acutally read his tire.. remember folks, 9 TIME GNCC CHAMP!

but for muddy races he uses the IRazr which wear horribly even though you said maxxis wear like iron

Brauap
11-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
I've never had to say this before but dang calm down. :o
I've used razrs and IMHO they suck. I would never buy another set. Had them on my 250ex in the snow I backed it out of the trailer and I got it stuck. I threw on my stock 400ex wheels and it went anywhere I pointed it. The same goes in the mud I couldn't get around any where. On gravel me and my dad felt that the quad fishtailed all over the place.

Really? I have had great use of my Razrs and I can go just about anywhere where the 4x4's have to or want to switch into 4x4 just to be safe.. I love mine! Never had a single problem! And mine worked wonderfully in the snow 2! I dunno.. thats just me..

btw-ftw I am calm..:ermm:

Brauap
11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
but for muddy races he uses the IRazr which wear horribly even though you said maxxis wear like iron

I was talking (from experience) about the normal, 6-ply razr.. I haven't ever used the IRazr nor the Razr2.. yet ;)

mooseracerX
11-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by elasesino
anyone have experience with the kenda klaws? They look like a pretty good all purpose tread.
I use 18" for MX racing and they hook up great. I like the fact that they are dual tread pattern and they are 6 ply so they are nice and sturdy.
And yes I thought they sucked. The only reason they wear like iron is because they are so hard they don't hook up.

Eviltanker
11-25-2008, 03:14 PM
My IRazr fronts have been on over a year and a half and still look new. They don't wear as fast as everybody thinks. It comes down to stay off the asphalt as much as possible and select a tire for what you are going to use it for.

katch26
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Ive never heard of the fronts being the problem just the rears

Eviltanker
11-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Theres a few guys I ride with that have the rears with no more wear problems than my Kenda's. The IRazr's will go away quick if you ride on streets though.

11-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I was talking (from experience) about the normal, 6-ply razr.. I haven't ever used the IRazr nor the Razr2.. yet ;)

lol, but I have a question for you.

Have you ever even USED a holeshot? A kenda? Or any other ITP for that matter? (aka trac star)

Just because you thought the razr's were good, your being very ignorant saying they're the best when you never experimented with others.

I have rear holeshot xc's. While they are wearing pretty quick, they hook up great under acceleration but still slide pretty well.

racerdan24
11-28-2008, 07:47 PM
after reading all the way throught this the solution is obvious....

Price...What works for YOUR budget.

Rideability...Are the tires YOU have comfortable for where you ride?

Brand loyalty....some people buy tires because they like the name and who uses them.....Goes back to e answers about sponsors...Do you think dale Earnhardt Jr. stopped drinking Bubweiser because he isn't sponsored by them and now he drinks only amp energy drink? Thats a bunch of crap!

sponsors pay big A** money to have riders use there gear,equipment,tires,rims...you get the point....if i was handed out free stuff to use, dont you think i would have razrs on mine...Damn straight skippy!!!

Last but not least......Give any one of these factory riders a different set of tires and i would bet that 95% of the time they would win......ITS ALL ON RIDER EXPERIENCE not the darn tire they use!

There i feel better.......thanks for letting me rant and offer my 1 cent worth...........

Ryan'07400ex
12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by racerdan24
after reading all the way throught this the solution is obvious....
Price...What works for YOUR budget.
Rideability...Are the tires YOU have comfortable for where you ride?
Brand loyalty....some people buy tires because they like the name and who uses them.....Goes back to e answers about sponsors...Do you think dale Earnhardt Jr. stopped drinking Bubweiser because he isn't sponsored by them and now he drinks only amp energy drink? Thats a bunch of crap!
sponsors pay big A** money to have riders use there gear,equipment,tires,rims...you get the point....if i was handed out free stuff to use, dont you think i would have razrs on mine...Damn straight skippy!!!
Last but not least......Give any one of these factory riders a different set of tires and i would bet that 95% of the time they would win......ITS ALL ON RIDER EXPERIENCE not the darn tire they use!
There i feel better.......thanks for letting me rant and offer my 1 cent worth...........

Thats a good statement. haha. Anybody use sandpaddles in water or mud before? JW if they are good at all for that?

BlasterEaten250
12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
ITP trac stars
http://i37.tinypic.com/2vwix78.jpg Have you used these? If so, how are they?

Brauap
12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

Have you ever even USED a holeshot? A kenda? Or any other ITP for that matter? (aka trac star)

Just because you thought the razr's were good, your being very ignorant saying they're the best when you never experimented with others.

I have rear holeshot xc's. While they are wearing pretty quick, they hook up great under acceleration but still slide pretty well.

I havent, but I have many buddies who have. Like the HD, and the GNCC. None with the Kenda's tho.. but you don't hear me talking about those! haha

However, I have heard real good things about the Mudlites from my bud (has them on his Rhino, awesome tire I think!)

Yippie-Ki-Yay
12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
The holeshot sr worked really good for me, i liked it more than my razrs. I would also recomend kendas.

Exrider434
12-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

I hated my holeshot XC's. they wore ridiculously fast and wouldn't move at all if there was more than an inch of mud or snow. My razr's on the other hand will make it through no prob, but they hook up TOO good sometimes. My next tire will prolly be the Kenda's they seem like an all around good tire for whatever i wanna use em for.

blankenship
12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
here is my suggestion i have had these for a year with no problem i ride pretty much everywhere and alot of pavment

blankenship
12-06-2008, 04:56 PM
sorry the pic was too big but they really are great

racerdan24
12-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Blanken....those are what i bought for my rears and they rip some serious turf up!!!