PDA

View Full Version : under $150 power ups??

trailrider894
11-24-2008, 09:32 PM
any one know of little things that can be done for a 400ex for under $150?? i know a-lot of people want to know. i see so many things about what will make my quad faster. so i thought i would just go ahead and make this so we can maybe condense some of the stuff on this forum.

dunatic
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
FREE.............remove anything and everything that is not absolutely necessary to be on the bike. Gravity sucks.

I have stripped down bikes before and found 20 lbs. the rule of the thumb is for every 10 lbs is 1 HP.

tyman2395
11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
the curtis sparks timing key
and air filter
jet kit
remove choke
take airbox lid off

stuff like that is under 150

11-24-2008, 10:26 PM
use a combo or free mods and used parts.

remove the airbox lid and jet it, get a better filter and maybe outerwears to go over the filter and/or the airbox. Grind down the header welds on the stock exhaust, remove the choke plate, buy a key to advance the timing, and jet it. I'm sure it will be under $150 for those and it should be a nice hop up. Grinding down the header welds is so minimal i never felt it and i dont think anyone ever will because theres not much its improving but i look at it as free power and every bit counts. there has to be a very small gain maybe a 1/4HP if that. you could save time and not do it but i scrape for power thats free where ever i can because its free. the choke plate being removed is noticable. better throttle response and a little more power but nothing to say wow and have a big seat of the pants feel. once again smaller gain but its free and adds up. if you reallywant more snap to it all you will need at least a slip on exhaust to improve it all

alberto
11-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Use quality oil and oil filter, clean air filter, lubed chain and sproket. These things all help with performance on a budget. Plus all the other thing mentioned before I gave my 2 cents. HA HA!

Whats with the KEY to advance the timing? Someone please explain that one?

atvracer190
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
keep a eye out on ebay and u can getta hotcam pretty cheap for a 400 or atleast you use to be able to

dariusld
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
This is all good advice, but the first thing I would get is a slip-on. Maybe you could start watching Ebay for one. If you wait long enough, you can find a deal, probably a long wait. I wouldn't get a jet kit, just the jets, save you some money there. Maybe you could clean up the bars by elimanating the parking brake, only about $20.

Honda#4
11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
For more bottom end snap you can lower your gearing.

storms400ex
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
if you live in cold climates in the winter wouldnt you want a choke?? if not how you start it in the cold??

400ex07
11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
I think the choke mod is meant more for people who live in the southern warm areas.

bbender85
11-26-2008, 10:30 AM
it's been mentioned lightly, but you can find a used slip on on ebay for <$150... i got my pro circuit for like $125. hotcam was that new, air filter i got used on here for $25.. just gotta be creative and/or willing to wait for a deal.

honda729
11-27-2008, 09:43 AM
450r carb, plus this will enhance later mods

UNBROKEN
11-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
FREE.............remove anything and everything that is not absolutely necessary to be on the bike. Gravity sucks.

I have stripped down bikes before and found 20 lbs. the rule of the thumb is for every 10 lbs is 1 HP.

SHOOT i like this idea if i lose 20 pounds theres 2hp and i save money in he process, to put into the quad, cuz i wont be eating out anymore and ill be drinkin tap water lol

trailrider894
11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
well then what kind of odd and end stuff did you remove from it to lose so much weight?

11-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
well then what kind of odd and end stuff did you remove from it to lose so much weight?

choke plate, aftermarket silencer, airbox lid, snorkel, tail light, parking brake mechanism those are basic and you can do without in most situations. thats a start but theres removing the battery, convert to kickstart, shave the flywheel, get smaller tires/wheels or different wheels, shave the fenders... theres a lot to be done to shave off weight and its suprisiing how much the airbox lid and snorkel stuff like that weighs. I think I shaved off 8lbs off my quad but added on maybe 15lbs with other stuff.

alberto
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
dont forget to post all of those parts on ebay. That way you can turn your 150 into 250.

the rule of thumb is 1 pony gained for every $100 spent.

"JUST ADD MONEY AND STUR"

have fun hunting for those ponies. its addicting!!!!