PDA

View Full Version : are works really bad shocks

Z-King
12-14-2002, 07:42 PM
well i was thinking abought buying some works but i went to yahoo and typed works shocks and a bunch of stuff came up saying works shocks suck

Derek
12-14-2002, 07:58 PM
It all depends. If your just playin in the woods or do a little bit of racing then works are great, but if your at the track every week and hitting the bigger jumps then i would go with better shocks.

Sparks425Ex
12-14-2002, 08:00 PM
It all depends on how you look at it. I am gonan get some heat for this but o well. I can deal.

Works Vs. Elka, PEP, TCS, AXIS= Works Are Crap Shocks

or

Works Vs Stock= Works 1000x better then Stock.

You will be happy with them. They are a great improvment over stock but I wouldn;t recommend them. Keep saving and get soem Elkas. Only like $250 more. And a much better shock.IMO.

seven
12-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Works shocks are about the best shock for the dollar. I didnt say they were the best shock! Axis or pep would be top dollar but you get what you pay for. Huevos 5 has SHELDON Riggs doing some huge gaps with stock Raptor shocks and doing fine. But Works will work better then average in every case but not as good as axis or pep! How much can you afford is the real ??

Scott
12-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Works are a lower priced shock (that's good) but you get what you pay for. They are definitely WAY better than stock, but they won't compare to Elka/Axis/etc. But another good thing is that you won't be laying out $1500-$1800 for the set, and you won't be waiting for minths to get them either. It's all in what you want to spend and how much patience you have.

Glamis400ex
12-14-2002, 09:18 PM
It all has to do with how you will use them. I bought a set of triple rate Works for my 400ex. I live in Cali, so, I only ride like 10-15 trips a year to the dunes. I could have bought any shock I wanted, but for the amount of riding I do, Works was the best deal. WAY better than stock.

Now, if you are a racer and all that, I would go for PEP or TCS or the like. You get what you pay for in most cases.

Glamis

Houser Cannondale
12-14-2002, 11:57 PM
im going to buy some shocks for my 300 and ive been looking at works and elka. i want shocks with rezzies for mx racing and im kinda on a budget so i was thinking of works. im only 17 ya know so i dont need the best shocks out there just something for weekend racing.

airheadedduner
12-15-2002, 11:01 AM
Works are good shocks.........as long as you arn't going for big air. I bought a set, rode them for 2 years, sold them for less then half what I paid and bought a different pair. To me it would have been better to get better shocks in the first place.

JOEX
12-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Since everyone seems to agree that Works are better than stock but not as good as the upper end shocks, what is the cut off point?
What kind of abuse can the Works handle?
How much is "big air"?
What are the general limitations of Works shocks?
It sounds like they might be good enough for the type of riding me and my friends do. But I just want some more info.:)

Thanks, Joe

12-15-2002, 10:37 PM
C'mon guys works doesnt = crap, thats just wrong.

first off your comparing the steelers not the pro series so its deff not apples to apples. The pro series uses better hardware(than the steelers) and the 5/8 shafts like the higher end shocks.

Works makes some very good entry level low priced shocks that can get you out of your poor performing worn out stockers for right around $300.00 without rezies.

Problem is that once you get into the pro series the price jumps up a lot and now you need to look a lot closer. The pro's are a good product and though they use a diff valving system than the other major brands (ball valve v/s shim stack) they still perform well and without the maintenance problems of the steelers (just cheaper hardware like the bushings and stuff) or the smaller shafts.

Would I buy the works pro series? Prob not cause when I had compared them to the others avail in that price range I had found the elka's to be a better built shock and also a better value.

Thing is if you dont have the extra few hundred to get into something better works steelers can be a great choice.
Hope that helps you.

sly400ex
12-16-2002, 10:03 AM
I've had my works shocks for over a year now with zero problems. And yes, they are a HUGE improvement over stock. I may not be jumping 50-60 foot doubles with them, but they sure do soak up 20 foot jumps without any problems. Rico has been running them for quite some time and seems to be very happy with them. JMHO

12-17-2002, 08:11 AM
Heres a pic of me jumping down hill,,maybe 60 foot and my works soaked up the landing just fine,,and it's almost a flat landing. Works will do the job just fine for anything but there are better shocks out there for more money. I plan on upgrading my shocks mainly because I've become a better rider/racer and I feel they are holding me back. But I also say this because my complete suspension is setup for MX and I've been using it for XC racing,,which don't really go to good together..

99'300EX
12-17-2002, 03:37 PM
i have works front shocks on my quad and i ride trails and some mx and so far i've been very pleased with them. If your low on cash like me there the way to go...

d-14 rider 27
12-19-2002, 08:27 PM
if you want a mild upgrade on your suspension go with works, good bang for your buck, then later down the road, you can send them to baldwin and get them turned into peps, or legacy and turn them into rhinos (same as old style tcs)