PDA

View Full Version : breaking in

ZMAN
12-14-2002, 07:21 PM
ok i finally got the thumbs up from my dad to get the Z i want to kno the proper way to break it in i have heard alot but i want the easiest:confused:

cabex
12-14-2002, 08:32 PM
All I did with mine was drive it for 10 hrs, and reving it no higher than 1/2 throtle. I would drive it for 1 hr then let it cool down then do it agian for 10 hrs. Make sure to change your oil after 10 and have fun!:D

4TraxRider
12-14-2002, 08:42 PM
just be careful, my buddy mike got one when they came out, and his motto was, the harder the breakin, the better the machine. It spent the next month in the shop. Better to be safe than sorry!

YZROOSTINYA
12-16-2002, 04:22 AM
when i put in my cam/piston this is what i did.

first off i believe heat cycles are more important than time

i ran it for 2 sessions of 10 mins above 3k rpm with full cool downs between. no more than 1/8-1/4 throttle.

changed the oil. rode another 15 mins or so at 1/4 half throttle. full coo down again. did this another 4-5 times progressivley getting harder on the throttle with total ride time of 10-15 mins. full cool down in between.

changed the oil at 2 hours. started full throttle riding. at 3 hours or so i had at least 10 heat cycles on it. fully broken in at 4 hours. full abuse at 5 hours. have 27hours on the top ens now and it romps. no probs, no smoke

me likey:devil

fwm416ex
12-16-2002, 10:27 AM
I agree with (yzroostinya)very good procedure stick with that and you will have no problems,do not rush it or it will haunt you at the worst possible time

ZMAN
12-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Thanx guys:D :D

12-16-2002, 05:56 PM
One important thing was left out...DO NOT ride at one rpm...gradually go up and down while you are breaking it in...don't over rev or try to accelerate or decelerate real quick just go easy up and down through the gears...Later

stupid driver
12-16-2002, 06:46 PM
the guy at the dealership told me to take it easy for a cupple hours, then gradually get more agressive, but have small periods of rapid acceleration, but not to hold it too long.

YZROOSTINYA
12-17-2002, 04:04 AM
lugging the motor is worse than revving. do not riide in too low a gear, you have liquad cooling which helps greatly. if you had a dyno you could have it broken in a few hours.

the deal is that you dont want to get it too hot, or you will glaze the cylinders, if you dont ride it hard enough you will glaze the cylinders. just that sweet spot

also a new piston will expand and contract in differant ways

if you take a new piston and a piston with 100 hours on it and put them in the oven a new piston will distort and the old piston will remain constant(slight even expansion)

that is why the piston needs to be put through heat cycles. the molecules in the piston need to become aligned with one another(something like this) and this does not happen until it has been run through heat cycles.

you know how they heat some tools and stuff to make them stronger, same deal.

Fluid400
01-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Play it safe and use up 20 hrs. Dealers usually say 20 the an oil change.