PDA

View Full Version : To those of you that...

Brauap
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
have black 05-07 plastic.. how does it hold up (looks wise) on trails and that? I am pondering the idea of that, but I trail blaze and trail ride a TON and I don't want my brand new plastics looking *itty after the first week.

Thanks!

leasureryan
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
whats the differance between trail blazing(?) and trail riding?

powermadd400ex
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
seriously? dude black is the worst for showing scratches. my brother's black 250ex looks like we put a cat on his fender and threw a bucket of water on it. and he has only rode it a handful of times.

Brauap
11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
trail blazing: making trails randomly.. going threw w/e jaggers, brantches, ect..

And thanks.. thats what I thought.. I prolly will stay away from black.

11-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I would think black would hide scratches more than any other color.. My buddys black raptor looks mint compared to my red plastics. Hes also had his almost 2 years.. Ive had mine for a week..

storms400ex
11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
if your worried about scratching it up then you should leave it your garage and dont ride it!!!!:eek2:

Brauap
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Good idea, storms! I think that is just what I will do! Thanks!

j/k

I really want black plastics.. but I dunno! haha Anyone else have anymore to contribute to this thread?

NacsMXer
11-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
I would think black would hide scratches more than any other color.. My buddys black raptor looks mint compared to my red plastics. Hes also had his almost 2 years.. Ive had mine for a week..

It's the exact opposite....black is the worst color as far as showing scratches goes. It shows EVERY little scuff and imperfection. Probably the worst color for trailblazing.

I'd have to say that the Maier silver is the best i've seen in hiding scratches. White comes after that.

rcatvrider
11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Here are mine polished when I got the bike.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/tamiyakid/400003.jpg
Now I have ridden them alot on trails and done some no footers and steff and they are pretty scratched. When you polish them up, they shine awesome and all of the little scratched become hidden though. It protects them a little better too. Every time my boot or something hits them I cringe though. Not super worried though, I have a brand new set of yellow plastics for when these get too messed up. I do love my polished aluminum/glossy black theme, but it's high maintenance for sure.

alberto
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
BRAUAP! Im afraid they are all right. :( I have a black 05 450R I mostly ride on the sand, but occsionally will do some trail blazing. The scraches do show, but I still like the color. I am in the process of wet sanding and refinishing my sons yellow plastics. Once Im done I will start on my plastics. The most scratches are caused by the riding boots just above the heel guards. I will post some before and afters if it comes out the way im hoping. Hope this helps.

11-25-2008, 02:38 AM
well everythings gonna get scratched.. its a 4 wheeler.. but I still think black scratched looks better than red scratched.. The red will start to look less bright.

11-25-2008, 03:19 AM
my 450r was black..after the 1st time out, it looked worse than the 2yr old white maters on my 400ex...until i waxed it...

11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
What do you wax it with it.. Car wax? I've seen some plastic wax thats suppose to remove scratches that meguiar's(?) makes..

leasureryan
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
so buy black...and cover the whole thing in 3M clear background