PDA

View Full Version : anyone own a detail company?

JJs450r
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
thinkin about goin out on my own in auto detailing, got about 7 years experience in it think it would be best for me right now

derekhonda
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I thought about that myself cause there isn't really a place close to here except the do it yourselfers.

The problem, is in these times, luxuries like a clean car often get tossed towards the wayside. If you have experience and think you can make it work go for it. There isn't a lot of overhead needed for that venture so getting capital shouldn't be a problem, just know that your business is probably economy based and right now it is in the ****ter. See about teaming up with some car dealerships and things like that for when work is real slow.

fast426
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I work at a car dealership, and do a bit of detailing. I think the initial costs would be quite expensive, but once you get that taken care of it would be pretty good. Get a really GOOD carpet shampooer, that really gets the customers on board when you get a stain out of their mats and seats that they thought would never come out. A good one will probably run you 2 g's though, but it will pay for its self. Otherwise, the buffers will be a couple hundred a piece, but if you have been doing it for a while, I am sure you have one. Also DeWalt makes a small buffer, we call it an orbital, but i am not sure if that is the correct name for it. We use it for putting a coat of wax on after the buff, and it saves tons of time. Let me know if you have any other questions, I am sure I can answer them for you.

Mxjunkie
11-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I started detailing on the side to make some extra cash and I'll be totally honest with you, the only people who actually get anything done are the guys with toys or the ones with money.. The biggest majority of the cars are leases that are due to go in and these can be the absolute worst jobs because of your average soccer mom with the mind set of mother nature put it on, she can take it off.. you have to price them accordingly but people ***** and complain when you hand them a bill for 300 dollars yet you have 50 dollars in materials and 10-15 hours in the car.. I usually do a car for 120 and a suv/truck for 165.00.. That's buffed/waxed/under the hood/interior etc.. I've even tryed to cut some people slack by cutting it down to 80 but no such luck.. I guess they figured it was to expensive but I can see why people aren't spending the money.. It's really a hit or miss business that's why it's only my side gig, I highly doubt I would pursue it as my only source of income anytime soon in these time of days.. I am hooked up with the local used car dealer ships in the area and I usually do their " High end " used cars or a classic they may buy..

I compound the entire car with 3M compounds and a 3m waffle pad then use IBIZ wax.. I also have a 3 inch blue point mini buffer. I have a ton of mixtures I use with spray waxes too if anyone is interested in hearing some tips and tricks with those, I can make a paint job look wet if they give me enough time to work on it!

JJs450r
11-25-2008, 12:09 AM
im under contract and cant do dealerships with the current company i work with now, i mean the only thing i could do was power wash and wipe em off at a dealership... i live in a military town(camp lejeune) plenty of people here doctors, retiries, young, middle age people ect... i just see it as why take a percent of what i do now out of my check for the boss when i can be the boss and just pocket 75% of profit doing it my self

and i wanna go mobile bring it to the people so they dont have to drive and what not, so theres no overhang with a building

gcart2
11-25-2008, 06:23 AM
well i have a question for you.

my truck has swirls in it from someone waxing/buffing and i need to know how to get it out.

Sjorge450R
11-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by gcart2
well i have a question for you.

my truck has swirls in it from someone waxing/buffing and i need to know how to get it out.

maybe just wax it again, if not,

Rubbing compond and then wax it.

trx400exxracer
11-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Make sure there are some people in your town with $$$. I agree with mx junkie only folks that have money actually have the money to wash their cars and equipment. I do it on the side. I made really good friends with my gas sponsor and I wash just about everything of his. He wants his truck wash every 2 weeks and thats the way you make money, put them on a good payment plan and give them a good cost for washing it every so often. I wash his truck, bmw motorcycle, wifes car, and 2 jet ski's and I have got one at my house right now! But look for folks that have money plenty of vehicles and encourage them to wash them to for the safety of their paint and body for in the long run!!!

JJs450r
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
i was told today i was in a pretty descent area for the work, already have a few costumers when it all goes through haha