PDA

View Full Version : Question on starter clutch

Pipeless416
11-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Hey everybody. My 400s starter spins, but only grabs so often. I'm assuming its the starter clutch, but according to this schematic, what do I need to replace? 4 (the complete assembly) or 5, just the clutch part. I tore the whole engine down because i could not get it to start and it looks like i need a new timing chain too! oh well, i knew it wouldn't be long before i wanted a crf chain in there anyway.. can't even try my new elkas..:grr: http://216.37.204.206/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=123&B=16

Pipeless416
11-23-2008, 06:39 PM
can anybody help me? i realized the link doesn't work, so heres the diagram. i've got a ride planned for wednesday.. could it be the #11 bearing?

BSTURDIVANT
11-23-2008, 06:53 PM
The starter clutch bearing is #5- check the surfaces on the gear(3) and the hub(4) to make sure they are smooth also!

drew416ex
11-23-2008, 08:51 PM
If you are going to get the most life out of the new one way bearing (starter clutch) you need all of the parts so they can wear together. It will work if you just get the clutch, but personally I would get it all.

Pipeless416
11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
thanks guys. i already ordered the crf timing chain, and the clutch. they won't be here till wednesday. i know the entire assembly should be ordered, but i just don't have the money right now, and if it lasts 4 years i'll be happy. the starter will not grab at all now, and i don't want to worry about bump starting every time.. so i guess this wednesdays ride is off for me.. :(

hoogiesngrinder
11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Bummer, if I were closer I'd let you use my flywheel if you bought a replacement gasket

Pipeless416
11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by hoogiesngrinder
Bummer, if I were closer I'd let you use my flywheel if you bought a replacement gasket

this is why i love this site :) anyway, we're back in business and ready to go! :devil:

Rescuehound440
02-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I just bought a 1999 440ex and I think I must have the same problem. The guy I bought it from says he replaced the starter. The battery is dead so I can't really even try it. My question is how much did the starter clutch cost you and I am not really mechanically swavy so I was going to try and have my honda shop do it. How much do you guys think the job will cost?

I have been push starting it and it runs like a rapped ape after I get it started. But I gotta tell you that push starting it is kicking my ***** big time. Any help would be appreciated.

sc400ex_rider
02-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Rescuehound440
Hi,

I just bought a 1999 440ex and I think I must have the same problem. The guy I bought it from says he replaced the starter. The battery is dead so I can't really even try it. My question is how much did the starter clutch cost you and I am not really mechanically swavy so I was going to try and have my honda shop do it. How much do you guys think the job will cost?

I have been push starting it and it runs like a rapped ape after I get it started. But I gotta tell you that push starting it is kicking my ***** big time. Any help would be appreciated.

ya you prob need the starter one way bearing also(# 5). i dont know how much they are new but you can get a used flywheel with the oneway bearing on it for like $25 shipped from ebay.

Rescuehound440
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks

brian76708
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
this is why you don't put your quad in gear during transport.