PDA

View Full Version : LT250r shifting problem help me?

mandrewlt250r
11-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I bought a 92 LT250r it was completely stripped down to the frame the engine just got rebuilt and had about an hour on it i was told. i just rebuilt the quad and wanted to take it for a ride when i pulled out i discovered it had first gear neutral and nothing else i talked to the seller and he said a shim might have fell out it was sitting for a year or two anyone have any ideas and is a shim falling out reasonable i know nothing about the bottom ends of quads

800screws
11-23-2008, 06:42 PM
okay, here's a possiblity.
take the clutch cover off and the clutch and basket. take the shifter off, slide the shift shaft out and make sure the teeth are lined up correctly. it helps if u have a manual. if u don't i can take a pic tomorrow(hopefully) so u can see how it should line up.
pretty sure thats your problem.

when the teeth aren't lined up, it doesn't have enough throw to shift up. i took my quad to the track once like that, thinking it was fine and realized i only had 1st gear!

how about posting a pic of the lt250r also....

mandrewlt250r
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a book but i think its the most worthless POS i have ever used. thanks im gunna go mess with it tomorrow and as for the pics i have to get a camera but as soon as i do ill get some up for you :) thanks again

Mikeman1
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
That's the best option for now-get the clutch off and see if your shiftshaft is turning the drum.You may have popped a pawl or the barrell retainer may have come off.