PDA

View Full Version : z400 starter clutch problem

johnafun
11-23-2008, 12:09 PM
any one else have any problems with the starter's on theyre 400's ? got 06 ltz400. was reversing and stoped ,put it in first gear, bike dies now starter spins freely. was told the starter clutch jam up somtimes and to rock it back in forth in gear. but im not therye to do it myself. was hoping to get some advice and info so i might order parts now and theyle be there when i get home to it.

also would like some info on the starter gear limiter assembly. whats it purpose? how does it work? blah blah. never delt with one befor.

jonboy
11-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Your one way bearing on the flywheel is prolly shot.

johnafun
11-23-2008, 10:57 PM
allright ile look into that..just kinda hard when im offshore and buddy calls and im not there to see it myself.but i did hear it.he was crying it has no compression i was like dude its the starter the engine wasnt turning over. LOL. im going ahead and ordering the whole system cuz i wanna ride next weekend and dont have time to find the problem and order. "JUST REPLACE IT ALL".LMAO.

so do you know anything about this limiter assembly"starter idle gear" is it some type of fail safe device? and how does it work. im real intrested in it cuz ive never seen one befor. my mechanical knowledge has become absolete.

quad97
11-24-2008, 12:18 AM
the clutch has rollers that are oblong. they slip going one way on the flywheel but grab when they rotate the other way. this allows the starter to grab when the starter is engaged and slips when the motor is running. when the rollers get worn they don't grab anymore. you will need a special puller to get the flywheel off to change the clutch assembly. it will NOT work to remove a few bolts and use a regular puller on it.

johnafun
11-24-2008, 01:14 AM
darn your rite (09930-31921)rotor remover. that sucks . looks like ile have to do some butt kissing at my local shop LMAO. thanks will take all the info i can get.