PDA

View Full Version : loose rear brake caliper

redrabbit
11-23-2008, 12:04 PM
my rear brake caliper has about a half inch of play in it. i cant find any loose or missing bolts or anything. i was just wondering if this was normal. if not then maybe someone can tell me what causes it and how to fix it. thanks

Brauap
11-23-2008, 02:31 PM
caliper or rotor? Tighten your axle nut.. and btw you know the caliper "floats" right? It is suppose to have back and forth play, but not the rotor.

redrabbit
11-23-2008, 05:26 PM
ok. thanks. i havent had this bike but a week and im goin through and replacing the parts that may be weak or broke and i noticed the caliper went back and fourth and wasnt sure if it was supposed to. thanks alot bro

Brauap
11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
No problem! Just make sure you don't have your rotor & caliper terms mixxed up. Alot of people tend to. THe rotor is the big shiney circle that the pads clamp on to, and the caliper holds the pads..

Also while you are doing a check up, I'd take the swinger bolt out and replace it with a chromed one before it gets any worse.. and check all your bearings..

metalmind342
11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
My caliper was loose as well, although there wasnt that much play in it. It ended up being a loose bolt that is towards the front of the quad in the middle of the caliper. It has a rubber sleeve around it and is the only bolt on there that needs an allen key. See if thats loose at all.