PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Timing Key...

Brauap
11-23-2008, 12:03 PM
My dad and I where wondering if anyone has had any problems with this key? Like had anyone have any problems with it shearing? How noticable is it? Like any extra bottom end/mid/top?

How reliable is this key? Better thottle responce? Thank You!

11-23-2008, 04:00 PM
You'll be fine. I've been running mine for a while.

I didn't notice a huge increase in throttle response, but the midrange and top end punch we're amazing.

I didn't believe all the hype until I actually did it.. haha.

Brauap
11-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Did you sacerfice any bottom end?

11-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Did you sacerfice any bottom end?

Not really. If anything, it probably added a little more.

I notice more pep through pretty much the whole powerband.

Like I said, I always questioned it because I didn't think it would make a huge difference, but as soon as I did it I realized why everyone loved it. probably added almost as much power as my exhaust.

Exhaust and timing key is a good combo for a peppy trail bike.

11-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Brauap, because I know you want to try racing in the woods, this would be the perfect setup for your quad.

Wiesco 10.8:1 Piston
Hot Cams Stage II
Light Port and Polish
Sparks Advance Key
Decent Exhaust
450r FCR Carb

Leave it stock bore. It's more reliable and you won't notice much more power with just the 416 bore. I see it as wasting precious cylinder space. Leaving stock bore will leave plenty of rebuilds left.

Brauap
11-23-2008, 05:04 PM
This is my plan for the engine as of now.. (I only have 1G for the rebuild.. not that much..)

Engine freshen up
-Valve check/adj.
-New Clutch
-If the piston needs replaced, I am going with a 10:1
-Sparks Timing Key
-Nice Exhaust..Sparks Silencer Modded to fix Stock Header, or WB E-Series..

They said you can't use the key with advance comp.. but is 10:1 alright?

11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
This is my plan for the engine as of now.. (I only have 1G for the rebuild.. not that much..)

Engine freshen up
-Valve check/adj.
-New Clutch
-If the piston needs replaced, I am going with a 10:1
-Sparks Timing Key
-Nice Exhaust..Sparks Silencer Modded to fix Stock Header, or WB E-Series..

They said you can't use the key with advance comp.. but is 10:1 alright?

A couple people on this site have called Curtis Sparks, and they said that they consider high-compression 12.5:1 and up. So basically the key will work with anything lower if you run High-Test.

Brauap
11-23-2008, 05:44 PM
High-Test as in.. 93?

Thanks bud, your alot of help!

11-23-2008, 05:52 PM
High-Test as in.. 93?

Thanks bud, your alot of help!

Yup, 93 octane.

And no problem. At least somebody here thinks im help :o

Bunch of a-holes on this site.

Brauap
11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

However, I know I can be one at times too. :uhoh:

11-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

However, I know I can be one at times too. :uhoh:

Me too. Only when I get really mad because someone is a tool or doesn't know what they're talking about.

And at least you don't have guys making accounts pretending to be you posting your picture up lol

Brauap
11-23-2008, 06:13 PM
lol someone really did that? What happend? What pictures?

11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
lol someone really did that? What happend? What pictures?

Yeah, it happened twice already. And I think I know who it is.

They took pics from my myspace and made motivational posters with them.

That also led me to believe who it is.. since he just added me right before it happened the first time.

Brauap
11-23-2008, 06:34 PM
oh yea, I remember that..

11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Here's one. Im working on a couple more
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/photoshop/im000441.jpg

Brauap
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Thats not really working for me..

11-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Heres a front view.. i think it looks hot.

Im gonna work on a black/orange scheme now.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/photoshop/im0004412.jpg

Brauap
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Can you please always post the before image? I wanna try too!

11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
sorry.. i didn't save the old one. Ill go get it and post it up.

This 400ex is just flat out sexy IMHO
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/photoshop/TRX400EX_06_lg.jpg

11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Theres some yellow ones here. This is where I got them from.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=343991&highlight=yellow

Brauap
11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
You are right! Looks awesome! (But I am not getting black due to scratches.........)

Brauap
11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
What do you think of this, DMC? I editiededed it more.. (do you like my rezzies? Thats my 450R shocks!)

I like it like this.. you .. ?

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/awesomenessorange3.jpg

11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
What do you think of this, DMC? I editiededed it more.. (do you like my rezzies? Thats my 450R shocks!)

I like it like this.. you .. ?

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/awesomenessorange3.jpg

idk.. just something about that picture. Maybe too much green in the backround.

Try on some other yellow ex pic.

Brauap
11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo.... I spent too much time on this haha
I don't feel like puting it all on someone else's quad..

Brauap
11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Here, I did this just for you DMC! haha

(Don't those rear mud tires look awesome!?)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/braaup/whiteout.jpg

Like it now?

Brauap
11-24-2008, 08:08 PM
btw the handlebars will be a CR LOW bend, so threw won't be like "antlers" like they are in the pic! And mann I never noticed how bad of quality that pic was!! :eek:

Honda#4
11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I think it's still a design in progress but I think your getting warmer.

I would have to say nay on the tank idea simply cuz it adds alot of front end weight and makes the steering really bad, atleast thats what I thought when I had my IMS tank on, butut I guess your a trail rider so it will be beneficial to you.

Brauap
11-25-2008, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I think it's still a design in progress but I think your getting warmer.

I would have to say nay on the tank idea simply cuz it adds alot of front end weight and makes the steering really bad, atleast thats what I thought when I had my IMS tank on, butut I guess your a trail rider so it will be beneficial to you.

Yea, I am deffently not doing it for looks! haha

Do you like this any better?

11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
btw the handlebars will be a CR LOW bend, so threw won't be like "antlers" like they are in the pic! And mann I never noticed how bad of quality that pic was!! :eek:

yuck, don't get low bars..:ermm:

Tall bars look pretty cool with the support bar on the top. Low bars look gay IMHO.

Plus for hard trail riding/racing, high bars will be much more comfortable in the long run. You won't have to lean over in an aggressive position.

I have Renthal Banshee bend bars. Believe it or not they feel great on the 400ex. They're the perfect height and bend.
I had Tag T2's (CR Bend) and HATED them. Way too low. Made it feel chitty, and you couldn't stand up comfortably (Which you do a LOT when pounding through the woods)

907Rider
11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
yuck, don't get low bars..:ermm:

Tall bars look pretty cool with the support bar on the top. Low bars look gay IMHO.

Plus for hard trail riding/racing, high bars will be much more comfortable in the long run. You won't have to lean over in an aggressive position.

I have Renthal Banshee bend bars. Believe it or not they feel great on the 400ex. They're the perfect height and bend.
I had Tag T2's (CR Bend) and HATED them. Way too low. Made it feel chitty, and you couldn't stand up comfortably (Which you do a LOT when pounding through the woods)

Hay DMC-4OOEX how do you like the trail tech spedo/tach?
I want to get one, but I'm afraid of wasting my money.

Brauap
11-25-2008, 03:04 PM
If I think they're too low, then I'll buy some bar risers.. I just reallllly like that look where your bars are like -----__-----

Brauap
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
... But thanks for your help, DMC!

(I had to put that in there because I reread it and it sounded as if I was being a smart a*s, but I ment it, thanks!)

Honda#4
11-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Brauap, you have to understand that building a quad should'nt come from everyones opinions, it should come from ur head, yes its ok to ask whats parts are better and to ask how well they work but the design should be represented by you and you only not by countless sites thats what makes your quad special to you.

Example: If you were to ask people what looks best on a 400 your gonna get a million responses back each of them saying something different and thats why I feel I think ur a bit confused on what to do on your build.

No disrespect to you Brauap

11-25-2008, 03:10 PM
... But thanks for your help, DMC!

(I had to put that in there because I reread it and it sounded as if I was being a smart a*s, but I ment it, thanks!)

haha, no problem
i live for this, ill get back to you real quick

11-25-2008, 03:12 PM
i have to run out. When I get back ill pm you about the vapor.

Brauap
11-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Brauap, you have to understand that building a quad should'nt come from everyones opinions, it should come from ur head, yes its ok to ask whats parts are better and to ask how well they work but the design should be represented by you and you only not by countless sites thats what makes your quad special to you.

Example: If you were to ask people what looks best on a 400 your gonna get a million responses back each of them saying something different and thats why I feel I think ur a bit confused on what to do on your build.

No disrespect to you Brauap

Your probally right.. I really like the look of the PS that I had done last.. its just, I really hate it when people will post comments saying "Your quad is ugly!" "Your quad is a POS" "Your quad looks like a POS!" ... I dunno..

I also hope you run for QOTM (yea I am a big dreamer..) and.. well.. I dunno.. your right. I am confused..

11-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Your probally right.. I really like the look of the PS that I had done last.. its just, I really hate it when people will post comments saying "Your quad is ugly!" "Your quad is a POS" "Your quad looks like a POS!" ... I dunno..

I also hope you run for QOTM (yea I am a big dreamer..) and.. well.. I dunno.. your right. I am confused..

I agree with Honda#4. Who care's what opinion everyone else has. It's what you like.

Your the one thats gonna be stuck riding it for a LONG time. Do it how you want.

Make it so YOU can enjoy riding it:cool:

Honda#4
11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Who care's what opinion everyone else has. It's what you like.

Exactly!!

It's all a learning process, just like putting a puzzle together takes time and effort to make things turn out just right, basically just have fun doing it.

907Rider
11-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
i have to run out. When I get back ill pm you about the vapor.

I hate to be a D bag but, I never got a PM
I understand if you've been busy tho'
I just want to know if it was worth the money and if it came with the necessary mounting hardware and stuff.

11-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by I live for this
I hate to be a D bag but, I never got a PM
I understand if you've been busy tho'
I just want to know if it was worth the money and if it came with the necessary mounting hardware and stuff.

ahh dude im so sorry. I completely forgot. I got home around 9:00 that night and forgot all about it.
Ill send you a pm right now

907Rider
11-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Thank you