PDA

View Full Version : 400ex stock sprocket sizes?

Jessem24
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
what are the stock sizes for the drive and driven sprockets?

i have stock tire sizes and stock 07 motor, i want to leave the front size alone so that the stock case saver will still fit, but how many teeth could i size down the rear?? how will each tooth taken off affect the low end? by litlle or alot, and will each tooth give me little or alot top end? in mph terms

Tacoma02TRD
11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Check out sidewindersprockets.com
Your rear sprocket is 39 teeth Front is 14 teeth and your chain is 520x94

^^^ was found on rockymountainatv.com
they have everything that you need as well but sidewinders are supposed to be the best.

Hope this helps you out:D

Brauap
11-23-2008, 02:36 PM
sidewinder is the best, but also the most expensive! If you are willing to spen 80+ on a front, 150+ on the rear, and that doesn't include the chain! However, it does have a life time warrenty! You better make sure you have your sizes back, because you won't have to buy another..

Also each rear tooth you drop probally won't be reconized...but if you take off a few, you will loose bottom end and gain the top end.. If you want more top, just buy a 16T front sprocket..

alberto
11-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Let me see if im pick'n up what your put'n down. If I go down a tooth on the front I gain bottom end? If I go up a tooth I gain top end? I would like to be able to get up the dunes faster. let me know if thats correct.

in response to Jessem24 you can buy replacement sprockets from several differant manufatures. I just bought a 13tooth front sprocket for $19. I know its not SIDEWINDER but the hit to your wallet wont be that bad. That way you can figure out what gearing you prefer before you buy a more expensive aftermarket product. Thats the route im taking.

Brauap
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
depends what you are talking about.. if you are talking about the front, you are right, the rear is just the opposite than the front.

And for the dunes, Id get a 13 and maybe bring it up to a 43 rear (if they make 43..)

But remember you will loose some top end! Also, 1 tooth change in the front is about 3-4 teeth change in the rear..

alberto
11-23-2008, 08:11 PM
alright i think I get it. I think I will try a 13t front and go up a few teeth in the rear. What about the chain? Should I replace it or just add links? If so whats the easiest way to break the chain? I was told a DREMAL TOOL. Do those chain breaker tools work?

racerdan24
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Braup hit it right on the money.....

Stock is 14 front and 39 rear

If you want more bottom end ( Quicker through first 3 gears for instance)....just go to a smaller front

If you want more top end then do the opposite.

I wanted more of a bottom end for where i ride so i went with a 13 front and 39 rear and new chain.

Motosport.com has a Renthal kit for around 135.00. Has definitely helped me, i can get the front up in the air with no problem all the way through the first 3 gears...almost scared the **** out of me at first since i didnt think 1 tooth down on the front would make that much difference but it did.

Mind you, I am shifting more than before but i felt it was well worth the money.

My 2 cents............

alberto
11-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I will give it shot. Thanks for the WARNING too! This is actually my sons bike. I will take what you said bout the power into consideration. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

racerdan24
11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Not a problem.....i have been out of the ATV scene for about 10 years so this is definitely the place to get good solid info from....makes decisions alot easier.

alberto
11-23-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah I really like this site. I have only been on for a couple of weeks and have already learned so much. What do you know about the chain. Should I replace that also. I want to buy the whole SIDEWINDER kit, but I dont know if I will like the gearing. Tough decision!!!!! Anyway thanks for the 411.

tyman2395
11-23-2008, 10:57 PM
on my 400 i have a 16 tooth front sprocket and a 38 tooth rear sprocket. The bike still wheelies no problem and has quite a lot of top-end

tyman2395
11-23-2008, 11:05 PM
and i would put a new chain on if your buying new sprockets. i have a 16 tooth front sunstar sprocket for sale if anyone needs a spare or just wants to use it as their all around sprocket just pm me it is in good shape

Brauap
11-24-2008, 04:38 AM
Yes, you will want to replace both at the same time. If not, you will wear your new sprokets down very fast.

If I where you, I'd buy some cheep(er) o-ring chain/sprocket kits from eBay and play with the gearing till you get it right.. (If you are just a dunner I think non-o-ring would be fine)

I wouldn't get a 16 tooth for the dunes however, unless your bored to like a 460 or something..

alberto
11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
BRAUAP, that is good advice. I think I'm going to go with a 13t front and 42 or 43 rear with a new chain. I will check ebay. As for the mods on this bike are not much. I have a K/N, jet kit, YOSH pipe, rev limiter. Soon the new sprokets. I think if I like the gearing on this set up I will upgrade to one of the name brands.
What do you think of this set up? Your thoughts?