PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Linux??? UBUNTU???

Sjorge450R
11-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I just made the switch last night on my laptop while keeping my vista partition as well. UBUNTU seems to be a very solid OS and i already like it better than windows. Just curious to see if anyone else is running linux or ubuntu?

miller821
11-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
I just made the switch last night on my laptop while keeping my vista partition as well. UBUNTU seems to be a very solid OS and i already like it better than windows. Just curious to see if anyone else is running linux or ubuntu?

I did it on my home computer, but didn't have the GB's to partition it and keep both systems so I had to switch back...

From the week or so I ran it I really liked it, and I know many others who do too. I have a laptop now and am thinking of partitioning it since I now have the space to... But the only problem with just having it is that many programs I run aren't compatible with it yet, although there are alternatives.

Sjorge450R
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
I did it on my home computer, but didn't have the GB's to partition it and keep both systems so I had to switch back...

From the week or so I ran it I really liked it, and I know many others who do too. I have a laptop now and am thinking of partitioning it since I now have the space to... But the only problem with just having it is that many programs I run aren't compatible with it yet, although there are alternatives.

yea you can use Wine to run windows programs, i havent figured out to do it tho. I acutally had a problem when i installed UBUNTU and now i cannot acess vista :(

There is a set of directions i found to make it would, but i have no idea how to work with the instructions

brian76708
11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
yea i requested a free cd like a month ago hopefully it comes in soon i plan on doing this so i can boot either vista or ubuntu does it run a lot faster since it not as huge as vista.

Sjorge450R
11-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
yea i requested a free cd like a month ago hopefully it comes in soon i plan on doing this so i can boot either vista or ubuntu does it run a lot faster since it not as huge as vista.

you can downlaod the cd and burn it as an iso. Works perfectly. As for speed. Yes its soo much faster. I said that I had a problem above....turns out that i dont. I decided to try to boot vista again and it worked this time......not sure. I love Ubuntu. I just gotta get Compiz figured out so that way i can have the cool effects.

11-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I tried SUSE once, was nice but I still prefer sticking with xp.

brian76708
11-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
you can downlaod the cd and burn it as an iso. Works perfectly. As for speed. Yes its soo much faster. I said that I had a problem above....turns out that i dont. I decided to try to boot vista again and it worked this time......not sure. I love Ubuntu. I just gotta get Compiz figured out so that way i can have the cool effects.

yea i like how you can have 4 screens at once with that cube thing.

Sjorge450R
11-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
yea i like how you can have 4 screens at once with that cube thing.

yea thats nice. I cannot figure out how to do that yet tho. It required compiz and i dont know how to get that to work full yet. I cannot wait tho.

gojk
11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
I have been running Fedora for about 5 years now. I love the fact that I installed it once, and I haven't had to reload the OS once in that amount of time. That is on 2 diff machines. One that I use daily for work, and the other is a server that hosts a lot at my home.

I run WinXP on a home desktop and I have to wipe it and reload it about once a year to keep it running.

I have been supporting 500+ Linux hosts at work for over 3 years now and I don't want to support any other OS.

quad2xtreme
11-23-2008, 07:56 PM
We switched from Fedora to CentOS at work...we use Redhat for production systems. All the engineers in my group use VMware and run virtualized machine environments on their laptops so they have several OSs running at once.

Sjorge450R
11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
hey anyone wanna run me through how to get these sweet style displays taht peple show on youtube? I have the cubes running... I am definetly going to get used to this.

brian76708
11-26-2008, 03:50 PM
so how do you do the cube thing?