PDA

View Full Version : looking for some advice

cowboy9from0hel
11-23-2008, 08:21 AM
well im looking to buy my first quad and im looking for some advice. the quads im looking at are a 08 yamaha big bear 400 4x4, 2008 honda fourtrax rancher 4x4 es, 08 polaris sportsman 400 (which is really a 450) 4x4 and a 09 polaris sportsman 500 h.o. 4x4. the reason id like advice because whenever i go to a dealership and i also tell them what other quads im looking at they seem to bash them which is nothing new. thank you for your help!

dpizz450
11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by cowboy9from0hel
well im looking to buy my first quad and im looking for some advice. the quads im looking at are a 08 yamaha big bear 400 4x4, 2008 honda fourtrax rancher 4x4 es, 08 polaris sportsman 400 (which is really a 450) 4x4 and a 09 polaris sportsman 500 h.o. 4x4. the reason id like advice because whenever i go to a dealership and i also tell them what other quads im looking at they seem to bash them which is nothing new. thank you for your help!

i would go with a honda or yamaha. polaris is crap. mainly a honda, but yamahas are good to. if you do get that rancher, dont get the ES. get the regular shift.

250x_kyle
11-23-2008, 04:44 PM
yamaha or honda or even a kawi. i know 3 people with polaris's and ive spent more time wrenching on them then they did riding them before switching to something new.

cowboy9from0hel
11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
i would go with a honda or yamaha. polaris is crap. mainly a honda, but yamahas are good to. if you do get that rancher, dont get the ES. get the regular shift.

why do you say polaris's are crap?

XCRacer236
11-23-2008, 07:08 PM
i would say can-am if you had the money. but if not, yamaha, honda or suzuki. my next door neighbor has a polaris, and he's had his front wheel drive worked on numerous times and still messes up. everything those 3 companies build is awesome.

trx400EXtreme
11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
if you ask me, polaris quads are not crap. im not saying i like them, but my uncle has an old 1998 polaris 500 sportsman......10 years later, bone stock, it still runs like new. basicly as long as you maintain what you get you'll be fine. but as stated before, cant go wrong with the big four....honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawi.

dpizz450
11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by cowboy9from0hel
why do you say polaris's are crap?

Originally posted by CaseDawg350
my next door neighbor has a polaris, and he's had his front wheel drive worked on numerous times and still messes up.

Originally posted by 250x_kyle
i know 3 people with polaris's and ive spent more time wrenching on them then they did riding them before switching to something new.

mittman
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM
i would go with honda or yamaha. my boss has had 3 polaris's and all 3 have spent alot of time in the shop. the one he has now we use for plowing and it is crap.

bwamos
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
If it were my money, I'd be spending it on the Yamaha. ;)

Plenty of aftermarket. Reliable. Decent resale. Don't have the ES problems the ES Hondas have (Honda non-ES is also a good option), and I just like the way the Yamaha UTE's ride.

greenblood01
11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I know its not on you're list, therefore I'm not sure if it is in your budget, but have you looked into the Grizzly 550? They are rather amazing machines. They have more than enough power to pull the front wheels off of the ground and will walk all over a 660 believe it or not. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near the 700 powerwise, but I was absolutely impressed. They ride awesome, are fuel injected, and the Ultramatic transmission is unstoppable. Along with the EFI, optional power steering, low center of gravity, Differential lock, and steel racks, you also get 4 wheel hydralic disc brakes, can't beat that. Plus they are so much lighter, and feel way nimbler than the Polaris's.

It's definately worth looking into.

As far as whats on your list, I would vote the Rancher. The 420's are sweet machines. They run really good and shift smooth. The biggest downfall is the straight rear axle. Plus its great that they are liquid cooled.

The Big Bear 400 is a good machine, however the shifting feels "clunky" to me, and they just don't seem to be as quality as the Grizzly line (from the 350 to the 700).

As far as Polaris goes, its hard for me to knock them considering the fact that my dad ownes them, however he does not put his to the test like many of the ones I see coming through the shop. We abslolutely dred when a Polaris comes through. They're not so simple to work on, use weird components, and foot brakes are horrible. Plus I'm not a fan of the single lever braking.

hypersnyper6947
11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
My step dad has a honda forman 450 4x4 and he beats on it pretty hard and i dont feel he maintains it very well, but it always works. Its sitting on 27" vampire tires too, and it still always works. All he rides is mud and you know what that does to a quad.

cglester
11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
buy a real quad, get a kawi!!!!!!:D

derekhonda
11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Best 4x4 i ever owned was a polaris, but it did end up needing a weird waterseal replacement that was like 70 bucks.