PDA

View Full Version : Installing tie rods?

ZJTurbo
11-23-2008, 07:57 AM
I finally got 2 sets of factory tie rods. Just wondering what am I looking for when adjusting my toe? Any tips on how to make sure there even etc wys of measuring? Thanks,

Ben

Rkangel7
11-23-2008, 10:30 AM
While on a flat level surface, I centered the handlebars. I found a consistent reference point on the tires, such as the center mold line, and marked it with chalk on each wheel. Then I rotated the tires until these marks were level with, and directly in front of, the spindles. With my weight on the quad and the full weight on the wheels, I had someone measure the distance between the marked line on the front of the tires. Then I rolled the quad forward (making sure the bars were still centered) until the marks were rotated 180 degrees and had someone measure them on the the back side of the tires. The difference between the two measurements will give you your toe. According to the service manual the toe-in should be 15-17mm.

When you initially set up the tie rods, make sure that you start them out so that they are the same length from side to side. It also helps to orient the flats on the tie rod in the same direction so that you have common reference points when you make adjustments.

Also something to keep in mind is that the inner tie rod ends are left hand threads and the outer tie-rod ends are right hand threads.