PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 416 performance

400ex99
12-14-2002, 03:33 PM
i installed the 416 kit and the performance didnt seem to increase much, any jetting suggesting etc....?
this is what i had before the kit: wb e series, airl box lid off w/kn filter. stock pilot jet, 160 main jet, it ran great like this, i then installed a je piston 10.8:1, hotcam II, removed choke, installed a 42 pilot jet, 170 main jet. lowered clip on notch due to lightly backfiring, but after breaking in, the power didnt seem to increase like i hear on ya's 416. the backfiring quit and is easy to start. just not much differance in acceleration and speed, my valves are set at stock (per terry marcum). i then lowered the main jet back to 160, pug seems to show good color. still no change. my timing is right and im at sea level. I hear maybe the valve setting could be at .006 & .008, maybe this will help? any suggestings is appreciated.... running 15 fr. sprocket with 20 in rear tires.:confused:

crazy canadian
12-14-2002, 04:10 PM
my 416 runs real good. other that a port and polish, i've got the same set-up. what are you comparing your performance too? if you've ever dragged someone in the past, drag them again, see how much better you do. my quad is completely different with the 416. COMPLETELY.

bmw500hp
12-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Crazy-C....

You didnt mention that in your winter build that you were going to a cam with higher lift or welded... (why) (no flaming) are you goiing to put big bucks in Hard weld/springs etc. wiht an XR camshaft??????????????curious!

BadA$$440
12-14-2002, 09:11 PM
I installed a 416 with HotCams Stage 1 and it feels like a new motor. I have a LOT of bottom end..it feels a lil slow at top speed but a 36 rear will fix that. The things i noticed first is it has ALOT better throttle response, and it is has more torque.

Ex'r Marlin
12-15-2002, 03:00 PM
I recommend going with Hotcams specifications for valve clearance. I have the stage 2... I have not heard from anyone to keep the "stock" valve settings?:confused:

Good luck!:)