PDA

View Full Version : outlaw ????'s

06outlaw-dd
11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
ok 2?'s

i have an 06 outlaw 500.

1st question.

the engine start switch does not engage the starter, the starter is fine, i know this because i jumped it from the battery, and it turns the engine over fine. would the switch be bad??

2nd question.

when the starter switch did work, it took forever to get the bike started, like 3 minutes of cranking on it. somebody said it could be bad compression, but i doubt it since it runs fine once its started. after it finally gets started it doesnt want to idle. but it will start right back up easially.

any ideas on my problems???

suprdavtn
11-23-2008, 05:59 AM
adjust the valves and you will be fine.

montycarlo
11-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by suprdavtn
adjust the valves and you will be fine.

I have a hot start problem with my 450 outlaw. When starting cold it is running about before you hit the starter button. When hot I have to crank a long time and ultimately it fires over gradually gaining speed as I crack the throttle. Is it this simple - valves too tight?
:confused:

jjd223
11-23-2008, 01:08 PM
(1) Carefully disassemble the starter/light sw assembly and inspect the switches (start button and run stop button). verify with a continuity tester that the switches are working properly. If you have a kill switch check that for repeatability.

(2) try and verify if your choke is working. the stock choke cables are notorious for failing.

Evasiveone
11-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by montycarlo
I have a hot start problem with my 450 outlaw. When starting cold it is running about before you hit the starter button. When hot I have to crank a long time and ultimately it fires over gradually gaining speed as I crack the throttle. Is it this simple - valves too tight?
:confused:

With the 500 Fuji engine, if the intake valves are too tight it makes it hard to start when cold, but will fire up easily once warm.

On your KTM, with the stock jetting, they are hard to start when hot. I know you are waiting on the JD Jet kit, but this really is the best thing to solve the hard starting once the engine is hot.

Outlaw6;=-
11-23-2008, 05:33 PM
for ?1.. have u checked to see if the solinoid is working proper? If u touch the 2 connectors together and it engages the starter then ur solinoid is fried.
for ?2.. it could be a valve adjustment if it's hard to start from a cold start.

montycarlo
11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Evasiveone
With the 500 Fuji engine, if the intake valves are too tight it makes it hard to start when cold, but will fire up easily once warm.

On your KTM, with the stock jetting, they are hard to start when hot. I know you are waiting on the JD Jet kit, but this really is the best thing to solve the hard starting once the engine is hot.

You mean the jet kit helps out with hot starts? I'll reprioritize if it's that good a deal. Possible it's just jetted way wrong down on the bottom?

birdman7389
11-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by montycarlo
You mean the jet kit helps out with hot starts? I'll reprioritize if it's that good a deal. Possible it's just jetted way wrong down on the bottom?

I cant stress enough how off the jetting was from the factory on my 525.....I cant believe they even let them out the door like that :(

sheriff525
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Once it is jetted and if your still having a problem with hot starts, try using a Boyssen Quick Shot 2 For the FCR carb. It will help and give you a little more in the low end.

OutlawBill
11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by birdman7389
I cant stress enough how off the jetting was from the factory on my 525.....I cant believe they even let them out the door like that :(

Thank the EPA and CARB

sleddog66
11-24-2008, 07:10 PM
OK, but he said he had a 2006 500. That has a mukini carb, and fugi engine. Just some of the replies are for the KTM with FCR Kehin carb:confused:

birdman7389
11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by sleddog66
OK, but he said he had a 2006 500. That has a mukini carb, and fugi engine. Just some of the replies are for the KTM with FCR Kehin carb:confused:

Just trying to show what a big deal being properly jetted is.

montycarlo
11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Eh... that was probably my bad for hijacking the thread - my apologies. I was wondering if a valve problem might contribute to my hot start problems. Generic engine question really. :ermm:

06outlaw-dd
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
thanks for the replies guys, i figured out the switch is just bad so i ordered a new one. once that comes in i can start working on the valves