PDA

View Full Version : crf 450 vs. yzf426

Mxbubs
12-14-2002, 03:13 PM
For you guys wanting to do this conversion, I highly suggest the Yz motor. The only bad thing I have heard about these motors is clutch basket problems, that can be easily cure. I have heard several stories of the honda motor overheating quickly.

Horse Power? The reason the stock honda motor has more HP than the stock YZ motor is it has 26 more cc's. Bring both motors to 440cc's and the Yamaha motor will outrun the honda. Contrary to popular belief, the yamaha motor revs extremely fast and is extremely easy to crank. A slight carb mod, and cutting one wire takes away all bottom end hesitation. I just got thru riding mine and I cant believe how much this thing SCREAMS.

Plus, you can find yz motors now for about 2k with carb and electrics versus a honda motor for 4200$ with carb and electrics.

Just my .02cent in case someone was trying to decide.

Team Outlaw #34
12-14-2002, 03:19 PM
yeah but ones made by honda and ones made by yamacrap....jk :)

raptor_02
12-14-2002, 05:51 PM
do u have proof that the yzf is faster. Cause I know some guy named Tim Farr that give up his yzf for the crf and both were at 440cc. I believe the Crf is a little better because that's the way he makes his living and I don't think he uses the CRF becauses its a honda. I think its because its faster!

Jimmer
12-14-2002, 06:12 PM
HaHa.:blah

roostin_dale
12-14-2002, 06:20 PM
it doesnt matter if its hond or yamaha...they are both awsome quads and better thana 440ex....lol

Bean
12-14-2002, 10:26 PM
well, think about it

de boreing = less hp with stock porting
uppin bore = more hp with stock porting

Evan
12-15-2002, 12:49 AM
So you have heard several stories of the crf overheating??? Well I have witnessed several yz426s in atv chassis overheating. Which are u more likely to belive? Hearsay or what u witness?
The HP is too close to call, the difference can be made up with the rider. Look at the design and tell me which is better? You have one motor that mixes all the oil together hence either must change oil more often, or you have unclean oil. I know not enough to make a diff, but the honda has 2 seperate oils like the cdale to keep the topend oil clean, and not mixed with the tranny oil. Yes you will need to keep an eye on the amount of oil in the crf but its very easy with a site glass. I dunno how hard a 426 is to kick over but a 250f is pretty hard, u must use a decompression lever on both, crf, just kick it, even its hot it starts easy as pie, no need to find an elusive wire, or anything else. How easy to work on is the yz? The crfs topend comes down with just 14 nuts/bolts. Nice single cam with 4 valves=less weight, less rotating mass=fast revver. Yz=dohc=more mass more weight etc 2cams to buy if something should fail. How is the gearing in the yz? I dont belive it or the crf is really made for quad, the yzs i saw had trouble with correct gearing, ie too tall 2nd, too low 1st. blah blah I could go on..... Its all in what you want, or what you can afford really.
Oh yeah its not yamacrap, its yama****a at least thats the name on the radiator hoses(honestly) I about fell over laughin when i saw that written on em.

raptor_02
12-15-2002, 11:21 PM
well said X-rider!

airheadedduner
12-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
do u have proof that the yzf is faster. Cause I know some guy named Tim Farr that give up his yzf for the crf and both were at 440cc. I believe the Crf is a little better because that's the way he makes his living and I don't think he uses the CRF becauses its a honda. I think its because its faster!
I still have the article about that. I believe he said the YZ was faster but the CRF was eaiser to ride.

I would take the YZ cause I mostly ride in the dunes.

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 11:01 AM
where's the article at????

forum
12-16-2002, 11:17 AM
honestley. who cares?? like at this point its all rider that makes the differnce. I wanted the crf but realized it would have cost me more then double for the engine. ! Also I don't have to downsleve it in order to race!. also. Last time i checked the 426 had more peek HP then the crf. check out fmfracing.com and go to the dyno read outs! But yea i heard the crf was easier to ride. All hondas are easier to ride.!

from fmfracing.com

crf=43 hp stock
yzf426=46 hp stock

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 11:21 AM
honestly i care. I like to know what engine has more power. I am still doubting the YZF has more power than the CRF. If the 426 had more power already, then why did they come out with the YZF450. I know that a stock CRF motor pushes about 48 HP. I doubt the YZF pushes more than that.

forum
12-16-2002, 11:23 AM
ok no it all. back up your facts like i did!
or better yet. check out fmfracing.com

redrider ex
12-16-2002, 11:31 AM
crf:D

forum
12-16-2002, 11:33 AM
http://www.fmfracing.com/dynocharts.htm#

forum
12-16-2002, 11:33 AM
im not saying what is better. i said i would have rather had the crf. but there are a few reasons i wouldn't im just stateing some facts

Mxbubs
12-16-2002, 06:10 PM
honestly i care. I like to know what engine has more power. I am still doubting the YZF has more power than the CRF. If the 426 had more power already, then why did they come out with the YZF450. I know that a stock CRF motor pushes about 48 HP. I doubt the YZF pushes more than that.

The Yzf 426 does not have more power than the crf450. Bring both motors to 440ccs and the DOHC will whoop that SOHC cam motor hands down.

Oil? You can have your oil in the motor all the time (CRF) or you can circulate it to a rezzy to cool off some. My motor, with the custom built rezzy, holds 2.5 quarts, which is more than the honda, more oil is better.

Overheating? Quad frames? I hear alot more about the crf motor overheating (thumpertalk.com) than the yz motors overheating. Put anyone of them on a quad with a stock 250r radiator, and yeah, they will run hot. I have a big bore radiator on mine, I can rev it up, let it set all day long, it never comes to a boil.

Gearing? Yeah, the gearing is not correct on the 2000 yz motors on the bike, however they RIP on the quad. Ever ridden run?

Reliability? The manufacture's suggested hours of use before rebuild on the crf motor Im pretty sure is like 30 hours? I dont know how much is suggested on the yz motor, but I bet it is more than 30 hours.

Cost? 4000K (crf) for motor, carb and electrics, plus the desleeving if you want to race in the 250 class, or 2400$ (yz) for motor, carb, and electrics......That extra cam I might have to buy one day doesnt come close to the cost of the crf motor or rebuilding 3 or 4 times year.

Please get various opinions, experiences, etc......... the only complete source.

THUMPERTALK.COM

Ill keep my Yz motor thank you.:eek:

12-16-2002, 07:06 PM
the honda motors lighter i belive. i have onwed the 426 so i know what it can do. what i really wanna see is the yz450 motor in a quad frame..

Tommy 17
12-16-2002, 07:24 PM
i've ridden both in bike frames and i say the crf motor is a better power plant... much smoother power band... easier to ride power also... also its much much easier to start... when ur out there on the yzf kickin it 30 times bc its flooded don't go crying... i've watched it happen 100 times to my friends and cuzs and they crf fires right up every kick... the yzfs u have to play with dam hot start crap and chokes and everything...

i've also ridin a yz450f... i didn't get much riding time just a lap around a fiend and 3rd gear... i didn't get to make a good call about it but so far i liked the crf motor better...

also all yzs i've every been around have the weakest clutches ever... honda is known for its great clutches in dirtbikes... i can't imagine a yzf clutch on a quad yet alone even trust them on bikes... i've changed so many yz clutch plates it makes me sick...

Mxbubs
12-16-2002, 07:33 PM
This is no joke, my fiance can kick the bike off in 2 kicks, in tennis shoes. The fist kick is actually to rotate the piston at TDC, the next kick it fires right off. I never use my hot start. I choke it the first time I start it, after that I can crank it in gear with the clutch pulled in and decompression lever in. I have the works connection lever with built in decompression.

Clutch problems? Yes, I have always said, you can pick your poison, a problematic yamaha tranny, or an overheating connecting rod bearing thowing honda.

The Yamaha Yz clutch if it is the 2000, it can be updated and fixed with 3 parts off of the 2001. The parts cost a total of about 36$. Or total upgrade and get a full hinson setup. Either way, you are still cheaper than overheating and blowing the motor.:D

Mxbubs
12-16-2002, 07:35 PM
P.S. In several other postings I have posted, to crank the bike easier, do the BK mod to the carb (10 minutes and a monkey can do) and cut the light blue wire (it messes up the fuel/air mixture on starting).

Info is at thumpertalk.com

12-16-2002, 07:36 PM
honda claims 48-50 hp on the crf oh yeah the crf is still the best 4 stroke bike out there, it beat all the 2 strokes and the ugly yzf450

12-16-2002, 07:40 PM
i doubt you've ever rode a 426. those bikes have amazing bottom end. and with the bk mod it comes on smooth.

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by forum
ok no it all. back up your facts like i did!
or better yet. check out fmfracing.com you haven't back up chit buddie, all you have said is FMFRACING.COM. You still haven't stated how much HP you think a YZF has. I know the Honda has around 48 and its funny how all the top pro's use the CRF instead of the YZF. Lets see, Tim Farr and Jeremiah Jones uses his occaisonally. Here facts for ya pal, 2002 GNC CHAMP TIM FARR on a CRF440, that's better than any fact you will ever be able to give me buddie:D

12-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Here facts for ya pal, 2002 GNC CHAMP TIM FARR on a CRF440, that's better than any fact you will ever be able to give me buddie:D ahahahahahaha...funny...your not tim farr either so stop acting like what he has is the best for you.

12-16-2002, 08:03 PM
if he can beat everyone else on thier yzf and all the other quads then the crf must be a good ride, who cares about a yzf when u can have a crf

12-16-2002, 08:05 PM
7 outta ten pciked the crf i dont think any of the other 3 picked the yzf first, it was the yz 250 which came in 2nd, they said the crf is the best mx power plant, enuff said

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by MX#132
ahahahahahaha...funny...your not tim farr either so stop acting like what he has is the best for you. your right idiot i'm not Tim Farr, but I don't think your anyone that races in the PRO class so your no better to express your opinion than I am

12-16-2002, 08:19 PM
your right idiot i'm not Tim Farr, but I don't think your anyone that races in the PRO class so your no better to express your opinion than I am i don't buy or like anything just cause some pro does..

12-16-2002, 08:41 PM
maybe thats why your not pro, besides ive settled this lil argumetn:eek:

Evan
12-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Mxbubs

The Yzf 426 does not have more power than the crf450. Bring both motors to 440ccs and the DOHC will whoop that SOHC cam motor hands down.

Oil? You can have your oil in the motor all the time (CRF) or you can circulate it to a rezzy to cool off some. My motor, with the custom built rezzy, holds 2.5 quarts, which is more than the honda, more oil is better.

Overheating? Quad frames? I hear alot more about the crf motor overheating (thumpertalk.com) than the yz motors overheating. Put anyone of them on a quad with a stock 250r radiator, and yeah, they will run hot. I have a big bore radiator on mine, I can rev it up, let it set all day long, it never comes to a boil.

Gearing? Yeah, the gearing is not correct on the 2000 yz motors on the bike, however they RIP on the quad. Ever ridden run?

Reliability? The manufacture's suggested hours of use before rebuild on the crf motor Im pretty sure is like 30 hours? I dont know how much is suggested on the yz motor, but I bet it is more than 30 hours.

Cost? 4000K (crf) for motor, carb and electrics, plus the desleeving if you want to race in the 250 class, or 2400$ (yz) for motor, carb, and electrics......That extra cam I might have to buy one day doesnt come close to the cost of the crf motor or rebuilding 3 or 4 times year.

Please get various opinions, experiences, etc......... the only complete source.

THUMPERTALK.COM

Ill keep my Yz motor thank you.:eek:

Im sure you make some good points and it may sound good, but one thing you are missing.... Compare apples to apples not oranges and apples. Comprende?? You say the crf overheats in a bike right?? I have never heard of this happening, never seen it happen in a race, thats beside the point though. Then you go on to say your yz never overheats because you have an oversize radiator in your kwad, right? I expect if you put a oversize radiator in a kwad with a crf, the crf wouldnt overheat either? correct?? Also you have this bk mod or whatever, that is only done on your kwad, not in yz dirtbikes, so once again, your comparing apples to oranges. Yes the crf motor is expensive, but IMO its worth it, its easier to maintain. I dunno, you have your opinions, and Im not trying to put down your kwad, cuz all kwads are sweet. Im just putting some facts out there for other people to let them know that the yzf is not the best, neither is the crf, just some facts for them to look at.

beerock
12-16-2002, 09:21 PM
im just gonna say a 5 letter word......

HONDA

forum
12-16-2002, 09:41 PM
well. i did it cause i got a sweet 2000 yz426f with low KM for around 2300 U.S. YEa thats right the whole bike!

and about mister raptor02. (in a talking to a baby voice) ahhh did you have some problems with that craptor and now hate yamaha!! oooo poor baby..

Ok buddy I've told you about three times already. If i could have got the crf cheaper i woul have got it instead. even if it was 1000 more i would have bought it instead. but I could not pass up the deal that was ofered me. I could spend the money I saved on a clutch basket, rebuild, some porting, and some other trick stuff and have a machine faster then the crf. I personaly like the YZF's oil rezzy. the CRF engine has to be angled perfectly inside the frame or the engine oil could sevrely damage the engine. I still love honda, and they are still my favorite brand, but face it. what would you do in my situation... o wait you'll never be in my situation! cause your still running that underpowered air cooled engine that was designed in the 80's--talk about over heating!

12-16-2002, 09:43 PM
:p your not too bright, the 400ex is based on the xr 400, the xr 400 was a totally new design that came out in 96, the 400ex was being developed since 1995 id take the wet sump crf anyday, i cracked a oil tank and its not fun

forum
12-16-2002, 09:46 PM
im not saying that particular engine was designed in the 80's im talking about the basic design. it very low tech! i got a little rattled and took it to far.

Mxbubs
12-16-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider

Im sure you make some good points and it may sound good, but one thing you are missing.... Compare apples to apples not oranges and apples. Comprende?? You say the crf overheats in a bike right?? I have never heard of this happening, never seen it happen in a race, thats beside the point though. Then you go on to say your yz never overheats because you have an oversize radiator in your kwad, right? I expect if you put a oversize radiator in a kwad with a crf, the crf wouldnt overheat either? correct?? Also you have this bk mod or whatever, that is only done on your kwad, not in yz dirtbikes, so once again, your comparing apples to oranges. Yes the crf motor is expensive, but IMO its worth it, its easier to maintain. I dunno, you have your opinions, and Im not trying to put down your kwad, cuz all kwads are sweet. Im just putting some facts out there for other people to let them know that the yzf is not the best, neither is the crf, just some facts for them to look at.

I like this part.

"Also you have this bk mod or whatever, that is only done on your kwad, not in yz dirtbikes, so once again, your comparing apples to oranges. "

I cant help myself.........its killing me............I will argue you with no more........hehehehee...........

2 words

Thumpertalk.com

Ill still take my Yz.:D

:huh hmmm everyone copies it except c dale why is that? oh yeah the 400ex and 250r are the best handling quads out there hmmm:eek:

forum
o yes. if you crack an oil tank due to a crash you got other things to worry about my friend. like being close to dead!:D

Did i mention the chassis in anyway??? now whos not so bright??? i love the chassis why else woul i put in a new engine?

12-16-2002, 09:49 PM
man, its so easy to crack one of those tin oil tanks.....and we dont care what u like, the yz is not the best 7 guys outta of 10 are not gonna pick the worst one...they picked the crf its the better mxer! if u had the crf in yer quad it would be the greates too:rolleyes:

forum
12-16-2002, 09:51 PM
I take it you canot read or refuse to do so. I said like so many times I would prefer the CRF! unless your talking to bubs. but hes just staeing opinion anyway. the oil tanks are aluminium! again. very bright comments

12-16-2002, 09:51 PM
u said the basic design that means the whole quad, the motor is a 90s motor it was designed in the 90s boy o boy :p we know what the better bike is so why are u arguing?

Mxbubs
12-16-2002, 09:52 PM
oooohhh....!!! 7 out of 10? I want to be a sheep!!!

LoL, the old bandwagon.:D

forum
12-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Im not, im calling you a moron. i specifically said engine. then said the basic design of it. refering to the engien

12-16-2002, 09:54 PM
some of u boys take this stuff too seriously, i mean forum, your freaking out like i just humped your mother and u say u have to really crash to break a oil tank then u say well its aluminum i mean come on calm downa and think:p whats the junior class anyway?

forum
12-16-2002, 09:56 PM
junior is right before pro. i think your taslking mini class.. has anyone told you that you are very dificult to deal with?

airheadedduner
12-16-2002, 11:22 PM
oooohhh....!!! 7 out of 10? I want to be a sheep!!!

LoL, the old bandwagon.:D

LMAO:p

Every thread like this ends up like this.
LRD vs. ESR
Domestic vs. Ricer
Elka vs. PEP

Its all opinion. I would take the YZF cause I like a motor with more snap to it. The CRF is much smoother and easier to ride. Farr rides the CRF because of that. He can ride it faster for longer and make less mistakes. But OMG!!!! Farr has it so everyone else should have.

I have heard that the CRF's overheat. But the guy that told me races XC on a yz250. The CRF is definatly not a XC machine so thats not really a fair way to bash it.

Evan
12-17-2002, 01:01 AM
Haha this is funny, no one can explain really why the yz is a better motor than the crf, nothing besides hearsay. Gimme a break guys, can you honestly say if someone was gonna give you a yz426/450 or a crf450, and you didnt have to pay anything, you wouldnt pick the crf?? The #1 reason people use the yz is because its been out longer so there is more used bikes and they can get the engine cheap. Why dont you do like people are doing yzs and go find a used crf for 4k and take the motor out and sell the chassi?? It would make more sense.....

And bubs explain to me what you find so funny, compare stock to stock not every other little modification youve done. I mean if you want to put it that way, compare your motor to a resleeved ported, and cammed crf, now whos talkin......see what I mean. makes no sense.....once again, Im just letting new people out there no some hard facts not just someones opinion. I will not build a hybrid, too much work, and the motor is not designed for a kwad so your gonna have trouble. I will wait patiently for honda to release something. In the meanwhile I will putt around on my ancient 250R and still keep up with hybrids, might not be as easy to ride but it gets the job done.

and airhead I pick
CRF
ESR
Ricer
PEP
:p

Evan
12-17-2002, 01:25 AM
For you guys wanting to do this conversion, I highly suggest the Yz motor. The only bad thing I have heard about these motors is clutch basket problems, that can be easily cure. I have heard several stories of the honda motor overheating quickly.

Hearsay,,, I have heard and seen the yz motor overheat.

Horse Power? The reason the stock honda motor has more HP than the stock YZ motor is it has 26 more cc's. Bring both motors to 440cc's and the Yamaha motor will outrun the honda. Contrary to popular belief, the yamaha motor revs extremely fast and is extremely easy to crank. A slight carb mod, and cutting one wire takes away all bottom end hesitation. I just got thru riding mine and I cant believe how much this thing SCREAMS.

Ok take a stock 400 and bore it to a 426 with no cam or anything, then race it with a stock 400, the 426 may win but not by much, little enough to be made up by the other rider. When my 400 was stock except a pipe I out ran 440s (no cam or anything, just a bore) with it, so boring alone does very little at least that small amount.

Plus, you can find yz motors now for about 2k with carb and electrics versus a honda motor for 4200$ with carb and electrics.

Just my .02cent in case someone was trying to decide.

Hmm yes u can find used yz motors for 2k, and yes you can find brand new crf motors for 4200$ Price a used crf motor and a used yz motor, not a new vs. used. Hmm cant find a used crf motor to price, I wonder why, people must like em.
Just my 6 sense
:rolleyes:

Mxbubs
12-17-2002, 09:23 AM
"Hmm yes u can find used yz motors for 2k, and yes you can find brand new crf motors for 4200$ Price a used crf motor and a used yz motor, not a new vs. used. Hmm cant find a used crf motor to price, I wonder why, people must like em.
Just my 6 sense"

ROFLMAO........Cant find a used CR motor? Hmmm.........You wonder why? I dont. Could it be because just like the Yz motor the first year or two they came out people were not yet parting motors out.

You said it all, when you said BK mods are not regulary done on bikes.......ROFLMAO..........

Again, Two words.

Thumpertalk.com

raptor_02
12-17-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by MX#132
i don't buy or like anything just cause some pro does.. SURE PAL

raptor_02
12-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by forum
well. i did it cause i got a sweet 2000 yz426f with low KM for around 2300 U.S. YEa thats right the whole bike!

and about mister raptor02. (in a talking to a baby voice) ahhh did you have some problems with that craptor and now hate yamaha!! oooo poor baby..

Ok buddy I've told you about three times already. If i could have got the crf cheaper i woul have got it instead. even if it was 1000 more i would have bought it instead. but I could not pass up the deal that was ofered me. I could spend the money I saved on a clutch basket, rebuild, some porting, and some other trick stuff and have a machine faster then the crf. I personaly like the YZF's oil rezzy. the CRF engine has to be angled perfectly inside the frame or the engine oil could sevrely damage the engine. I still love honda, and they are still my favorite brand, but face it. what would you do in my situation... o wait you'll never be in my situation! cause your still running that underpowered air cooled engine that was designed in the 80's--talk about over heating! i'll bet you quad against quad my aircooled engine will at last your yzf426????!!!! :D

forum
12-17-2002, 11:53 AM
no shiznit! considering theres half the horsepower I would hope so.

airheadedduner
12-17-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider

and airhead I pick
CRF
ESR
Ricer
PEP
:p

ROFLMFAO!!:D

I will be getting an aftermarket chassis in the next few months and all this talk had me thinking. Maybe I won't sell it. I know where there is a complete YZ400F for sale for $2500:devil

raptor rider 02
12-17-2002, 12:31 PM
i have an idea... why dont u all just stop.. u sound like a bunch of women:devil

redrider ex
12-17-2002, 12:59 PM
:D

GetHigh250r
12-17-2002, 02:32 PM
One good point was made in this whole conversation, a pro is a professional, and they run the best, whatever the top pros are runing is hands down the best, they dont pay for anything and they do it for a living. If farr or jones or whoever wanted to ride a yamacrap then yamaha would have set them up already, and all four-strokes will overheat from time to time so that dont even matter, and when those yz riders are gettin all squirrely over doubles cause they cant control the power they will then realize that smooth power means faster lap times. And the HONDA is much smoother, thats all there is to it!

Guy400
12-17-2002, 02:55 PM
What's a kwad?

Evan
12-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Guy432
What's a kwad?

lmao i dont know, i thought it was a cool way to spell 'quad' so i threw it in there

kwad-n-one of them thinghys with four wheels and a loco pilot

Nausty
12-17-2002, 03:13 PM
lol, sorry but you guys do sound like women. I mean we're hearing about how much smoother the power delivery is on a crf over a yzf from someone who owns a 250r. I've got many hours on a yzf426 and I got to put around on a crf450 but if I had to pick for free I would swap in the crf but mx bubs does have some good points about how much cheaper it is to just buy a used yzf motor for just over 2k and how a crf motor would cost almost twice as much, not to mention the yzf is just as capable as the crf motorwise when the crf is debored and on the origional porting. Not to mention I don't think ANY of us have the experience to really know how to push the machines like a pro or how to ride it.

About a magizine voting the crf the bike of the year, who cares, no offence. They factor in those tests on what doesn't even matter to us. As the test might include bike handling, suspension, ect when we will only have the motor.

About the apples to apples kinda deal about buying new that means that the crf motor would have to go against the new yzf450 motor which is lighter and more powerful than the crf. The only downside would be that the crf the power comes on smoother and the yzf comes on faster and more responsive. Either one can be good or bad, it just depends your riding style.

RideRed04
12-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Wow, nausty beat me to it. Some of the arguers (people who dont currently have, and probably never will have a crf/yz engined quad) are really showing their age. If I was going to do this, I would use the yz engine, because the power is really not that much of a difference, and it is half the price. raptor02, he gave you the nubers, read his posts! I wouldn't use a dirtbike mag for engine preformance, engines need different power for a quad then for a mx bike. The 400ex is a very old engine design. The actual engine came out in 96, but the radial valve air cooled 4 stroke has been around...since the xr500 if I remember right, and that thing is OLD! Ok, done ranting, besides the flaming, this is a very imforitive post, maybe if it was cleaned up, it could hit up the faq's

raptor rider 02
12-17-2002, 04:53 PM
ok well i have few hings to say as far as handling, but dont replyto me if ur gonna argue cuz i dont wanna hear it.. i have owned a 400 ex and now i own a raptor, the honda had better handling, and for the size diffrence, it held its own, it was also much more reliable, so i whould say go with the honda, i you dissagree thats cool... but i m not gonna argue:grr :devil

forum
12-17-2002, 04:54 PM
indeed honda's relibility can not be beat!

RideRed04
12-17-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by raptor rider 02
ok well i have few hings to say as far as handling, but dont replyto me if ur gonna argue cuz i dont wanna hear it.. i have owned a 400 ex and now i own a raptor, the honda had better handling, and for the size diffrence, it held its own, it was also much more reliable, so i whould say go with the honda, i you dissagree thats cool... but i m not gonna argue:grr :devil

Not trying to argue, but what does that have to do with yz vs. crf? I agree though, I had my choice between 400ex and raptor...you can see what I picked.

raptor rider 02
12-17-2002, 05:14 PM
all i was trying to say was that the honda has better reliability level then the yamaha so i whould say go with the honda :macho

12-17-2002, 07:41 PM
lol, i dont see why mx bubs doesnt understand, the crf is picked best mx bike, best motor... and rember ur using the cop out saying the yzf is cheaper, rember u get what u pay for..... yzf is not bad its just not as good as the crf the 400ex has better handling than a raptor but the raptor still handles good you can argue all u want but everyone knows a that the crf is the better bike, doesnt tire u out as much either

Juggalo
12-17-2002, 07:53 PM
i just know if i was building a race quad i would be using the wr450f motor. 5 speed (?) and electric start so no worrying about flooding and all that top dead center crap, just press the button and keep goin.

12-17-2002, 07:56 PM
well the yz 450f is a 4 speed, besides why would u want woods/xc power u would mod it for mx ne way

oh yeah the yzf 250 puts out more power than are 400exs lol

raptor_02
12-17-2002, 08:22 PM
here's an idea for everyone, he!! with HONDA and YAMAHA!! Either of those companies are giveing quad racing the support it needs. So why waste 15-30K trying to build a competive race quad when you can buy a moto440. The moto is very close to being as fast as the crf or yzf motor and you will be supporting the company that cares most!! That's just my opinion on what people needs to do, so all you crf and yzf quad builders don't start going crazy on me. Just my opinion!

Mxbubs
12-17-2002, 08:28 PM
CLICK THE LINK AND READ.:D

www.thumpertalk.com

Juggalo
12-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
well the yz 450f is a 4 speed, besides why would u want woods/xc power u would mod it for mx ne way

the yz is a 4 speed but the wr is a 5 speed.

Nausty
12-17-2002, 09:37 PM
lol, I hope my last post made since. I have bad grammar and i'm to lazy to reread.

If some of you would choose the crf thats fine and all but I think a lot of you are just being brand biast. Another thing in the bike world most bikes are just as reliable as the next but the bottem line is the yzf is cheaper, faster(compared to debored crf, might be wrong), lighter and more responsive. The downsides would be that you have to deal with the compression release lever and hot start button. Truthfully though it isn't that hard once you have learned it but still its something that takes time during a race and you usually don't have to patience. Also from what mx bubs says the yzf has a weak clutch basket for a quad in which I would think the crf would still need to beefed also but thats just my assumption. Also the crf doesn't have near as much engine braking as a yzf but that is just personal preferance and the crf the power comes on smoother but that means less responsive which is just personal preferance. If any of you guys would have ever ridden either of the bikes you would relize they have plenty of power as it is and are a blast to ride and they are really pretty equel in performance.

btw I hope I didn't offend anyone on the last post. Sorry if I did.

Pro400EXC
12-17-2002, 09:44 PM
lol, i dont see why mx bubs doesnt understand, the crf is picked best mx bike, best motor... and rember ur using the cop out saying the yzf is cheaper, rember u get what u pay for..... yzf is not bad its just not as good as the crf the 400ex has better handling than a raptor but the raptor still handles good you can argue all u want but everyone knows a that the crf is the better bike, doesnt tire u out as much either

Hahah roflthis joker cracks me up.....oh damn dude you should be a comedian...

Anyways...they are both great BIKEs.....the yz-f has its strong points and so does hte CRF...

The new YZ450F and CRF450R are soo closley matched in 03,that they gotta be nit pickey on which to pic.....

Also Freeride, when the CRF was picked as bike of the yr,they don't just choose it for Motor...they go by handlin and so on..

If you look at the Dirt Rider shoot-out between the Bikes, the new 450F's motor they felt was better than the new CRF's,they said it felt liek it had more rip and roost,bit really they ahd the same HP #'s......

Also,I beg to differ,the 400ex and R are great handlin quads,but the z400 and C-dales are right w/ them in this categorie now.....

Also Juggs the new YZ-F's have the auot comp release and all,so if you did use a YZ-F (03) you ain'ts got to worry bout TDC (top dead center) and all...plus i think the wr starter shoudl fit the yz-f,but the yz-f is a lil too short geared for some real long MX tracks...

Anywho if it was me,I'd say screw em all and use a Katoom 520 or the new 450 motor......

12-17-2002, 09:47 PM
they said the crf had the most manageable power as well as most tracatable and felt comofortable with it right away

i doubt ur even close to pro...sounds like ur a poser when u say im from pros town

Pro400EXC
12-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Hye bro,umm looks to me your new to this site, so why don't you stfu and mind your own bidness,cause everyone on here that knows me and so on,knows that the Pro's Towna dn all that stuff is a joke,so go jump your 5ft double,and stfu..ok

and also c'mon down to FL,so i can show you some woods racing, i'll be throwin that roost all in your face just like a Pro!

12-17-2002, 09:54 PM
5 ft double? woods racing? your awful confident for some one who is probaly not as fast as they think....oh yeah, whatever happened to that pic u that u thought looked like johnny knoxville...that was so eminem , lol 5 ft double i jump bigger than that on my xr:p

Nausty
12-17-2002, 09:55 PM
they said the crf had the most manageable power as well as most tracatable and felt comofortable with it right away

thats just preferance though, and not to mention they are comparing that on dirt bikes in which that might make a lot bigger differance than when the motor is in a quad.

Also if a motor is better just because it has more "tractable" hp than why are the moto 440's mappings the way they are and not like the more "manageable powered" cannibal?

12-17-2002, 09:57 PM
:rolleyes: who cares ill take the crf and bubs and nausty can take the yz...then well all be happy

Pro400EXC
12-17-2002, 10:10 PM
and we'll all just coem and smoek you and be happy, yup your right,that wasn't hard at all.....

Just get what you want,and who cares whatothers say,if you want a freakin Briggs and Straton 5hp on your 400ex,then do it....whatever floats your boat...

SGA
12-17-2002, 10:28 PM
A briggs and stratton has a smoother power band than a tecumseh:D

Pro400EXC
12-17-2002, 10:32 PM
woods racing? your awful confident for some one who is probaly not as fast as they think....oh yeah, whatever happened to that pic u that u thought looked like johnny knoxville...

I dunno about you but ask SGAEXER,Bad*****440,DMH,and MacBlaster how fast I am..fast enough for a 1st place finish.....

You pic the track,I'll throw the roost...i mean maybe your faster than me,or i am faster than you,we won't ever know til we race...... til then sry bout what i said before,just don't undertsand what ppl are thinkin soem times....

But ajnwyays,come out to Hatfield,i would like to race yah.....

Also,bout the Johnny Knox thing,i dunno what iwas thinkin,i was bored that day,nothing better to do than mess arond....

Pro400EXC
12-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by sgaexer
A briggs and stratton has a smoother power band than a tecumseh:D

Lol,hey Howard,wassssup,you gonna be at the next race?

dawzie
12-18-2002, 05:26 AM
OK - I have a '01 yz426f in my quad. My dealer updated the carb, so no more hot start problems. The tranny did fail on us. Why ?? We dont know if it was related to the Rev-loc clutch OR if it is a tranny problem because of the HEAVY quad verses bike weight. Maybe a fluke. Did run hot. Used engine ice, no more problem. Now we are getting a oversize radiator also. We are thinking about getting a WR450. Electric start:) and still a 5 speed. The new YZ's are now 4 speeds. The only time we got beaten was when we broke. The only real thing close to us was a 300 PV "R". The rider did beat us in finale points. He made ALL the races. We didn't, our fault.

Mxbubs
12-18-2002, 11:11 AM
I like Wendy's over MacDonald's, if you disagree you just dont have any taste buds.:D

SGA
12-18-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC

Lol,hey Howard,wassssup,you gonna be at the next race? Yeah, I should be there. I'm not racing, just gonna holler obcenities at the racers as they go by.:D

airheadedduner
12-18-2002, 11:22 AM
I like Wendy's over MacDonald's, if you disagree you just dont have any taste buds.:D

Carl's Jr. is way better then them all!!!!!!:macho

SGA
12-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC

I dunno about you but ask SGAEXER,Bad*****440,DMH,and MacBlaster how fast I am..fast enough for a 1st place finish.....
I aint seen nothing since 1922:blah

Hey joe, tell um why we call you cowboy.......

raptor rider 02
12-18-2002, 05:05 PM
**Rule #5**

Congratulations, you've made the "list"! Consider this a warning...

d-14 rider 27
12-31-2002, 09:29 PM
i picked the crf, because either way i went i was gonna get a new bike so i didnt have anyones problems. i got the crf becuase im sponsore by a honda dealer, and the red matched my red truck on its ride home.

warrior86
12-31-2002, 11:30 PM
lol, sorry but you guys do sound like women. I mean we're hearing about how much smoother the power delivery is on a crf over a yzf from someone who owns a 250r.

Point well made. Every person on here dishin the YZF, neither has a YZF or a CRF. And for the people that thinks the CRF is the best because Tim Farr rides one, your 100% wrong. Being a "PRO" is all about their ability to ride better than the rest of us, not because of the quad setup they have.

slosh13
03-17-2003, 03:46 AM
My buddy just got a JB yz450 they are really fast. People complain about the oil lines but more oil will keep the engine running cooler. :)

400exBro
04-19-2003, 01:40 PM
i was wondering u don't run a oil tank on the CRF 450 do you??

and with this yzf 426 hard starting thing, that is all bs forum had his bike out for the first time and every 3rd kick, boom start right up... and that wasn't with the bk mod...??

another thing, what kind of thing do you need to take off the bike, motor, carb, eletronics, cdi etc...????
i am thinking about doing either one but don't now if i should go yzf in moded stock frame or go crf in the arens crf/ex frame??

sorry about bring up this old and long post, i just had to clarify some things

04-19-2003, 02:22 PM
crf doesnt have oil tank cuz its wet sump, is the crankcase oil and gear oil seperate on the crf? somebody told me that..... yzf is easy to start once u get the routine down from what i hear, startin cold is no problem mid moto crashes is when its supposedly hard

400exBro
04-20-2003, 01:16 AM
the crf have 2 different oils, one lubes the tranny and the other lubes the top end... just like a dale..

i think i will be doing the yzf conversion, buy a stock frame off of ebay or buy one from honda, get it beffed up and move the mounts and eveything, then get it pc... and work my way through summer, bit by bit putting it together so i don't blow all the money at once... and it should be done by spring time...

so what thing do i need from the yzf bike??

what thing would i need from the ex frame??

dawzie
04-20-2003, 02:11 AM
400EXbro
Trust me, been there, done that. If you are a GOOD mx rider (Expert class) converting the EX frame is NOT worth it. If you are not going to be doing alot of jumping or using it for some other type of racing then it would be OK. You need to start with a COMPLETE EX quad !!. less motor. You will need YZF motor COMPLETE with oil lines and carb, exhust, wiring and electronics. You will want a '01 or newer. The older ones had problems.

JTRtrx250r
04-20-2003, 03:12 AM
Thats what I was thinking myself..IMO..and Im a Honda guy :D

Freeride...you're quite the critic...for a dude that goes by alotta"I read " or "someone told me":confused2 you do talk alot of crap sometimes you know it,lol,Ive only been on here a couple months longer than you ....look at our post counts,you say" JTRtrx250r,if you weren't scared,you could do it too"....and then ask "whats the junior class" LMAO,then make another snide remark about some dude you dont know anything about, probably not even being pro.Whats up w/ that ..:huhmaybe you were just kidding,I dunno

When you get the personal "seat of the pants" knowlage...let us know,untill then,you should chill on ppl and respect their opinions,ppl respect yours whether they agree or not, I'm not tryin to start a pissin match w/ ya..just tryin to make a point!;)

yzquadracer
04-20-2003, 04:25 PM
i was just gonna say that iv ridden all three in quads. as for the crf, its power is a lot smoother. it wont tire the rider out as fast as either of the yzf motors. my 450 will walk all over a 426. when comparing the crf and yzf 450's its all about rider preference. if you want managable power that wont tire you out, go crf....if you want that explosive feeling where itll rip the bars from yur hand in an instant, the yzf they way to go. is no real clear cut answer to this question. the real answer lies in the riders riding style. go off of that when choosing the motor. just my .02

Chanman420q
04-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Bean
well, think about it

de boreing = less hp with stock porting
uppin bore = more hp with stock porting

this seemed to make most sence to me... :confused2

400exBro
04-21-2003, 02:07 AM
but really it isn't that huge of a pull...
i have ridden forums yzf 426 and that thing rips, it just wants to go, touch it a little bit and boom it will fly...i love that feeling, almost like riding a 250r...

and i am not that good that i will jump 100 foot gaps, 60-80 feet would be my max, plus i am not that abusive to my equipment, i maintain and clean and check for cracks... and my dad will do all the welding, becuase he is a professional welder that way i know it will be done right, and the welds will be strong...

also can i use the stock 400ex oil tank?? i have seen people make there own, some in a ""L"" shape which goes under the rad...

thanks

dawzie
04-21-2003, 02:20 AM
We used the stock tank. Making the oil lines work is a little bit of a pain. Make sure they are hooked up the right way. Tommy Lombardo blew his motor because they where hooked up backwards

400exBro
04-21-2003, 09:24 AM
nice...

didn't you say you might be selling your houser 426 in the fall??

or was that someone else?? if so how much will you be asking?

thanks

dawzie
04-21-2003, 12:20 PM
We will sell it now for $14,500 or in the fall for 12,000

Sick0
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
I hate this, A good threads starts with good info and poeple have to start arguing. I wish I could have either one. I'm plan On make a hybrid this winter and I'm trying to get as much real info as I could.

forum
04-21-2003, 03:29 PM
personally im not worried about the crf being a little better then my yz. THe power at that point is so close its all rider that makes the difference. People can give me the schpiel on there engine but the bullchit stops when the gate drops. As for using a stock Ex oil cooler. Thats probly your best bet. most of the shops building yzfs are using stock oil tanks. Bro, When shopping for a yzf. remmeber bank paid 11,000 for his houser. right from houser himself. It was the one in the magazine tests against the crf. ANd as you could see. It was showroom condition.

crashinmatt
04-21-2003, 03:39 PM
ok, im really thinkin about makin my own hybrid, now i have a few questions. on the yz 426, is there anything that can be done to eliminate the hot startin problem? ok well i only had one question. i was relly think on the crf, but im not sure ill have the money to be able to afford one, and the yz is gonna be cheaper.

forum
04-21-2003, 03:43 PM
My 426 starts like a charm without using the hotstart. The people that complain are extreme whinners. I was so wooried about the starting but its extremly easy. My 426 starts wayeasier then my 2000 banshee did. But I've found having your itle a little high and making sure you DONT TOUCH THE GAS while starting will make the nite and day difference. When you get your 426 you'll say them guys complaning are whinners too

04-21-2003, 03:47 PM
did i hurt someone's feelings:huh

my pt about u being scared was true, ur saying robbie is so bad *** which must mean what he does scares u and u wouldnt do it

when did i ask what junior class was?

oh yeah and i been on this site since june 01

"LMAO,then make another snide remark about some dude you dont know anything about, probably not even being pro.""

and when was this?

jtrx im coming to the conclusion u go by alot of i heards and i reads :ermm:

"untill then,you should chill on ppl and respect their opinions"

didnt realize u felt so strongly about robbie knevil im so sorry

04-21-2003, 04:07 PM
forgot to mention i saw the eca yzf frame after a season of racing, id have to say your getting yourself into a big headache starting with a stock ex frame , what i would do is get the arens frame when it comes out and go from there with a crf or if u wanna go yzf id still go aftermarket, if you dont mind wasting the cash on stuffing it in a stock ex frame then you might want to go that route, both motors are competitive without a doubt , deciding between the two is pretty much down to personal prefercen i like the wet sump crf 450 so i would go with that its up to you which u decide , i trust hondas so i like them....

JHF219
04-21-2003, 04:57 PM
I personally own a YZ426 Forum i have to agree its unbelievably easy to start!! people do tend to whine a lot !! the first reason i chose the 426 over the 450R was the price(my quad got stolen so i needed something cheap and a place to start) the second reason i picked the 426 is the SNAP !! this thing freakin rips i love the arm pulling power its unbelievable !! i dont need smooth power that comes on real smooth!! but the truth of the matter is that when i have bogged in a turn and i need that rip to clear the next jump my money is going to be on the YZ to get me over that !! now i have a question is Arens going to make a 426 chassis?? i really wish he would ?! cause i love the chassis that i have for my R!! and his chassis are so affordable !!??

d-14 rider 27
04-21-2003, 05:01 PM
your talkin about seein the eca conversion frame after a season :huh they cut a lot of corners, most people who use common sense and dont have to have it done for a customer in a week can do it better, plus if it lasts a season, thats enough for me, whats a new honda frame? 450.00 from service honda? how many of those do you gotta wreck to get to the cost of an aftermarket? think about it, plus by the time you go thru that many stockers, im sure you still wouldnt be on the same aftermarket. not flaming, just stating the way i seen it.

04-21-2003, 05:29 PM
true but my 400 frame has already cracked in several places

JTRtrx250r
04-21-2003, 11:27 PM
^ this guy would be a prime candidate for a A.D.D. commercial:rolleyes:

try reading back in THIS tread you posted in ya moron,lmao

I think you must dig Robbie,b/c now you're tryin' to use him as your scape-goat:DI could say.." If you weren't such a porker that frame wouldnt be crackin" , or I should say.."you're probably not even a racer" and "are too scared to jump,so that cant be how your frame got cracked",Dont sound too cool does it

for a 17yr old kid you seem to know a bunch..hahaha:rolleyes:

like I said,lol

400exBro
04-21-2003, 11:27 PM
all 426 engines are 250r based right??

so that means if i build a 426 in a stock ex frame and have all the a arms and shocks etc... i will have to buy all new stuff for a 250r frame??

Banks paid 11 000 for his houser 426, all together??

i found a good used 426 that uses the stock ex frame with guessets, and all ready for mx, for 9gs but i don't know if i should build it myself or buy one?? Forum you said to buy one, i agree but my dad says he rather help build one so he knows the frame won't crack and we aren't buying ohter peoples junk...

dawzie
04-21-2003, 11:33 PM
After our dealer did an update on our '01 426, it starts ALOT easier. I agree about wanting that hard hitting power to make a jump. Our engine builder says that taking a 426 and making it a 440, that it will produce more power than taking a 450 and making it a 440. Something to think about. (I'm talking Yamaha here) Another thing about the 426 is that you can put alot more hours on it before you need a rebuild compared to the CRF.

Aren's said he wouldn't make a YZF frame anytime soon :(

Just a small update, off topic a little. Cannondale has been bought and are going to be produced again. South Bay Moto in Ca. has done some great work on their motors. They are going to add 14 - 16 hp AND increase dependability to it. So for now I'm sticking with C-dale

04-22-2003, 05:49 AM
thats awesome im gonna wait at least a year before i buy a dale tho:scary:

some people def should not be on the internet , jtrx u sound like quite the whiner

04-22-2003, 06:01 AM
whoa this threads old, anyway if u cant see im just busting these g uys balls then u read too much into it, and i knew these guys were not pro.......
the robbie kneivil scape goat thing....well u seemed pretty upset when i explained how dumb he was