PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Sound

ADTR14
11-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I rebuilt my motor and now there is a ticking sound in the topend that increases in noise when you increase the throttle.

One of the things i replaced was the cam chain. Is there a break in period for a new chain? Also i did not oil the chain before i put it in, if that matters and i have not run it long enough to really get it oiled.

I don't think its the valves since they were fine before and i did not mess with them during the rebuild but i will check clearances anyways.

Any thoughts?

airmobile101
11-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Assuming your clearances are correct, did you by chance install Hotcams? Hotcams tick !! Also, did you reset your cam chain tensioner?

quad97
11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
did you use a single layer base gasket or a stock three layer one? if you have a single layer gasket with aftermarket piston it may be tapping against the head.

ADTR14
11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
All the internals have been kept stock. I did not however reset my cam chain tensioner, so ill check that. Just in case i cant understand my manual how do i reset the tensioner.

Thanks for the quick responses

airmobile101
11-22-2008, 09:42 PM
On the tensioner itself, there is a tiny spring loaded rocker, lift that rocker back so you can push the plunger back and reinstall.