PDA

View Full Version : Question for Engineers

Toadz400
11-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I've been trying to decide for the last couple years where and what I want to go to college for. I'm almost 100% positive I want to be in the mechanical field of Engineering. My biggest problem is deciding what school to attend and if there's a specific job field that I'm looking at.

The past two years I wasted at a community college taking classes that are probably of no use to me because I was pressured by my parents to attend school no matter what. Now I've got $50K + in debt with nothing to show for it. Obviously I want to find the school that will be right for me and stick to a full program.

I've been accepted to the ASU Polytechnic campus in Mesa for the Automotive Mechanical Engineer program but I'm wondering if it would be a good choice or not. I've always been interested in the design and ingenuity put into everything mechanical and automotive/motorsport-wise. I want to own my own business someday or at least a small one on the side for my own hobbies like riding/racing.

My question is to the Engineers on this site is what college you attended, what field you are in, and what are any recommendations or tips for me. I'm looking for a school that is more hands-on and covers everything.

Quad18star
11-22-2008, 11:47 AM
What kind of courses did you take previously? A lot of the time , it's not wasted , you can transfer a lot of skills.

I have a buddy that's a mechanical engineer , he took it at a University up here and is working for a large Engineering firm. He designs hoists and other crap for the mines. It's an $80 000 a year + job and he seems to like it.

The auto industry is taking a big hit right now ... a lot of design work is done overseas .... if you want to get on with an auto company.

I have a background in Civil and currently taking Mining Engineering and pretty much enjoying the mining stuff.

If you're good in Math and good with computer programs , there shouldn't be a reason why you can't succeed in the Engineering industry.

elkablaster94
11-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm going to a state maritime college for marine engineering, its a field that not alot of guys my age go into, its very tough but when I graduate in 2 years I will have a BA in mechanical eng, a USCG 3rd assistant engineers license for unlimited tonnage vessels, along with alot of leadership training. Usually the starting ssalary for a third is in the upper 70k to low 90k right out of school, and depending upon how fast you work your way up the ranks, you could be making double that a few years after. Downside to all of this is that theres usually no girls at these schools, and you have to be part of the "regiment," i.e. wearing a uniform, saluting superior officers, etc., but you get used to it lol.

Toadz400
11-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
What kind of courses did you take previously? A lot of the time , it's not wasted , you can transfer a lot of skills.

I have a buddy that's a mechanical engineer , he took it at a University up here and is working for a large Engineering firm. He designs hoists and other crap for the mines. It's an $80 000 a year + job and he seems to like it.

The auto industry is taking a big hit right now ... a lot of design work is done overseas .... if you want to get on with an auto company.

I have a background in Civil and currently taking Mining Engineering and pretty much enjoying the mining stuff.

If you're good in Math and good with computer programs , there shouldn't be a reason why you can't succeed in the Engineering industry.

Just the basic English, speech, etc. classes. Unfortunately I got totally screwed on Math classes. I tested out of math at a different school and also tested into a high college math class at this school. The b*tch at admissions forced me to take the second lowest math class and work my way up from there. I still have another couple classes to go until I'm even at college credit, even though I was supposed to start at that level. Complete waste of time and money but there was nothing I could do about it. I also took some Energy and Engineering classes and I'm positive it's what I want to do.

Since the auto industry is taking a big hit, what would be another choice for mechanical engineering that would leave me in a similar field? I'm talking anything with an engine. Hell I would be happy making $50k a year working with a small company as long as I'm doing something I love.
The reason why I was intent on the Auto Engineering program is because I feel I'd be more motivated to stick with the program and to move that far away from home (Other side of the country) if it's a program I would really enjoy.

brian76708
11-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Just the basic English, speech, etc. classes. Unfortunately I got totally screwed on Math classes. I tested out of math at a different school and also tested into a high college math class at this school. The b*tch at admissions forced me to take the second lowest math class and work my way up from there. I still have another couple classes to go until I'm even at college credit, even though I was supposed to start at that level. Complete waste of time and money but there was nothing I could do about it. I also took some Energy and Engineering classes and I'm positive it's what I want to do.

Since the auto industry is taking a big hit, what would be another choice for mechanical engineering that would leave me in a similar field? I'm talking anything with an engine. Hell I would be happy making $50k a year working with a small company as long as I'm doing something I love.
The reason why I was intent on the Auto Engineering program is because I feel I'd be more motivated to stick with the program and to move that far away from home (Other side of the country) if it's a program I would really enjoy.

im currently in a mechanical engineer program at Ferris state univ which is in Michigan. only in my first semester not to bad so far. I suggest going into mechanical engineering instead of automotive engineering because you have more options when your done and you are still qualified for many automotive engineering jobs.

Toadz400
11-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
im currently in a mechanical engineer program at Ferris state univ which is in Michigan. only in my first semester not to bad so far. I suggest going into mechanical engineering instead of automotive engineering because you have more options when your done and you are still qualified for many automotive engineering jobs.

It's a mechanical engineering program but you also take classes that focus on automotive design.

Robin Hood
11-24-2008, 12:24 AM
New Jersey Institute of Tech is where I'm nestled in at for 4+ years. Very reputable school when it comes to engineering. Just a really boring school.

...And our sports suck.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2008-02-23-njit-winless_N.htm

:o

Toadz400
11-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
New Jersey Institute of Tech is where I'm nestled in at for 4+ years. Very reputable school when it comes to engineering. Just a really boring school.

...And our sports suck.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2008-02-23-njit-winless_N.htm

:o

Why was it a boring school?

smr
11-24-2008, 06:32 AM
you should look into Purdue. I'm not a boiler maker fan but if you are a mechanical enginer from Purdue you will have no trouble finding work.

http://www.purdue.edu/

trick450r
11-24-2008, 07:45 AM
im at university of connecticut right now studying mechanical engineering. Im loving the field. If math comes naturally to you DO IT. you wont regret it. But if you struggle in math i must warn you, you might have a hard time. The equations get alittle intense sometimes.

bwamos
11-24-2008, 08:23 AM
If you don't mind studying out of state. University of Missouri, Rolla (different name now I beleive) is a great engineering school.

They have everything from Metalurgy Engineering, Chem Engineering, Aerospace, Structural, etc.. Name it they've got it. It's also based ina small community about an hour from St Louis so it's easier to "focus" on school. ;)

bwamos
11-24-2008, 08:26 AM

All pure engineering schools are boring schools (less partying, more studying) with bad sports. Engineering students generally don't make top quality linemen.. LOL.

Pipeless416
11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
ever think about MSOE?..(milwaukee school of engineeringg.) its closer to you and a very well renowned school. other than that, if you can afford it, UIUC.

hypersnyper6947
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I wish you the best of luck. I just stopped going to engineering at UCF and switched to business, i made it quite far, past all the calc (1,2 &3)and differential equations, physics all that good stuff. Just know going in that it is very boring and very hard, every class is a weed out class regardless of what they tell you. There is def. no chicks and no offense to anyone but most the people are pretty nerdy with little social skills. It took me about 3.5 years to realize it was not for me. Make sure this is really what you want to do before you start so you don’t end up like me, now i am stuck in school for another 3 yrs b/c i switched majors. Be ready to study ALOT every 1 hour of class time a week requires at least 3 hours of study time. I wish somebody would have made me sit back and look at it before i jumped in, i would have graduated by now with a business degree. I'm not trying to discourage you, if you decide to do it, its a great choice you can make a bunch of money right out of school and job security is pretty good.

Fred55
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
I would take a look at UW-Platteville, a D3 school with about 7700 students and very well know for its engineering programs...

Velocity Girl
11-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
I wish you the best of luck. I just stopped going to engineering at UCF and switched to business, i made it quite far, past all the calc (1,2 &3)and differential equations, physics all that good stuff. Just know going in that it is very boring and very hard, every class is a weed out class regardless of what they tell you. There is def. no chicks and no offense to anyone but most the people are pretty nerdy with little social skills. It took me about 3.5 years to realize it was not for me. Make sure this is really what you want to do before you start so you don’t end up like me, now i am stuck in school for another 3 yrs b/c i switched majors. Be ready to study ALOT every 1 hour of class time a week requires at least 3 hours of study time. I wish somebody would have made me sit back and look at it before i jumped in, i would have graduated by now with a business degree. I'm not trying to discourage you, if you decide to do it, its a great choice you can make a bunch of money right out of school and job security is pretty good.

Definitely not far off from the truth (at least when I was in school ). As a whole we're not the most socially adept group of individuals - in school or in the workforce - but there are those of us who break some of those rules (some mind you - not all ;) )

And yes - engineering classes can be A LOT of very hard work - but if it's what you want and what you enjoy - then the hard work should pay off in the end.

I have a degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering but now work in computer software...I'm better are breaking stuff than building it - so you can switch directions sometimes with you degree - but I'd say go for Mechnaical Engineering as it has the broadest application and will open up the most doors for you.

Good luck!

hypersnyper6947
11-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
but if it's what you want and what you enjoy - then the hard work should pay off in the end.

that was my problem i did not enjoy it, if you do then thats awesome

TWISTED
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I work with all kinds of engineers on a daily basis and I would like to add this..... I know most of these guys and gals are highly intelligent, but PLEASE, PLEASE, use some common sense.... Almost all the ones we deal with at work have ZERO!!!!! Just because it works on paper, doesn't mean it works in the real world......

hypersnyper6947
11-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea i know plenty of book smart people who seem dam near retarded in the non scholastic setting.

Sandsjbyz22
11-25-2008, 06:49 AM
I earned my degree in Mechanical Engineering from Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio. I actually do consulting in the construction field for HVAC, Plumbing, Process piping, Heat recovery etc... I grew up in the construction field so it was an easy transition. Dont be scared to not go to a BIG school. When I took the FE exam I was sitting with kids from Case Western, University Akron, etc... And I passed with no problem. Its all about what you do with your time in class and out of it.

I still get to do stuff with mx and other types of racing on the side. Im currently an advisor for YSU's senior project group. Im helping them with a hybrid Fuel Injected Honda/Briggs engine.

ben300
11-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Sandsjbyz22
I earned my degree in Mechanical Engineering from Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio. I actually do consulting in the construction field for HVAC, Plumbing, Process piping, Heat recovery etc... I grew up in the construction field so it was an easy transition. Dont be scared to not go to a BIG school. When I took the FE exam I was sitting with kids from Case Western, University Akron, etc... And I passed with no problem. Its all about what you do with your time in class and out of it.

I still get to do stuff with mx and other types of racing on the side. Im currently an advisor for YSU's senior project group. Im helping them with a hybrid Fuel Injected Honda/Briggs engine.

...gotta love those engineers from akron...haha...

theres nothing wrong with a smaller school...i got to pennstates erie campus, which is well known for their engineering and have some of the top ranked engineering facilities in the country....and the party seen istn bad for a small school..

honestly...i got into engineering cause i wanted to design atv/automotive parts and the honest truth is, if thats truly what you want to do....you may want to have a back up plan...

i got into this, wanting to do that, and now i do process engineering work for a power company. alot of mechanical engineering students end up doing process engineering or not even doing design work at all...

but if thats what you truly truly want to do...by all means..go for it man, im just saying that both those industries, especially automotive are hurting bad right now and probably will be for along time. However, there are alot of other engineering jobs out there with great paying jobs that are still flourishing...you just have to look and keep your options open..

Bradracer18
11-25-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm currently at Iowa State, and I think our program is pretty decent. The campus is great, and a very fun town! Don't be scared about classes, most of this stuff is easy. You have to learn right away though to study in groups, as other people help you with your weakness and your strengths can be better defined when you explain stuff to them

Tommy 17
11-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I am at PENN STATE and I graduate in December with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. It looks like I'm going to work for honda in ohio building cars. Sorry if I sound like an *** in this but I'm gonna tell you straight up what I think of engineering and not feed you a line of crap.

Heres my lil bit of information that I can give you and this is looking from the big school stand point. Coming out of a school like Penn State (any big ten school or SEC or rich schools... like Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, MSU, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, Texas, USC, Bucknell, Yale, etc) will have one hell of a better chance then you would have coming from the school your looking at. I had a ton of friends that went for engineering degrees at schools like univeristy of Pitt at johnstown or Penn State Behrend and a few others and everyone of them can't find a good job. They get paid less and have to bust their *** to find one. Me on the other hand couldn't turn then down fast enough. The field is so competive that if you don't have something like a a well reconized school you don't stand a chance. I know when I was applying to jobs just because I was at Penn State I was put into a seperate pile then the others. Online I would click a certain box that would put me on the top of the list. If you don't graduate from that smaller school with a 3.75 or better I know I wouldn't even consider you for a position at the compay I was working for at a job fair or seeing your resume online. Go and talk to any big engineer at an automotive company and almost everyone is from a Big school with a few exceptions to the rules.

The reason why I say all of this is because you don't get the experience or knowledge at these small schools that you can get at a bigger one. For example my friend that went to UPJ they had the same teacher for almost everything and you only get his perspective. At Penn State I have teachers that have done everything from design the turbine blades for the joint strike fighters turbine to design satelites that are in space... Also, at Penn State I can walk into a room that has 7 HUGE CNC machines, in lab casting facilities, robotic welders, Spin welders, Rapid prototyping machines ( 3d printers for CADD programs), and more. You can't get the experience using all of this stuff at a small school and that puts you behind from the start. People know that when you come from a big school like this your way more rounded this lets just say automotive. Coming from PSU or any of the other big ones you can do design, manufacturing, economics, business, etc.

One last thing about engineering is make sure that your getting a TRUE! engineering degree. Alot of people will pass off a technology degree as a real mechanical engineering degree but really you are not an engineer. Yes you can take the FE exam and become an engineer but I know if I see that on your resumee you don't have a chance. Your canned from the start.

ben300
11-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
I am at PENN STATE and I graduate in December with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. It looks like I'm going to work for honda in ohio building cars. Sorry if I sound like an *** in this but I'm gonna tell you straight up what I think of engineering and not feed you a line of crap.

Heres my lil bit of information that I can give you and this is looking from the big school stand point. Coming out of a school like Penn State (any big ten school or SEC or rich schools... like Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, MSU, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, Texas, USC, Bucknell, Yale, etc) will have one hell of a better chance then you would have coming from the school your looking at. I had a ton of friends that went for engineering degrees at schools like univeristy of Pitt at johnstown or Penn State Behrend and a few others and everyone of them can't find a good job. They get paid less and have to bust their *** to find one. Me on the other hand couldn't turn then down fast enough. The field is so competive that if you don't have something like a a well reconized school you don't stand a chance. I know when I was applying to jobs just because I was at Penn State I was put into a seperate pile then the others. Online I would click a certain box that would put me on the top of the list. If you don't graduate from that smaller school with a 3.75 or better I know I wouldn't even consider you for a position at the compay I was working for at a job fair or seeing your resume online. Go and talk to any big engineer at an automotive company and almost everyone is from a Big school with a few exceptions to the rules.

The reason why I say all of this is because you don't get the experience or knowledge at these small schools that you can get at a bigger one. For example my friend that went to UPJ they had the same teacher for almost everything and you only get his perspective. At Penn State I have teachers that have done everything from design the turbine blades for the joint strike fighters turbine to design satelites that are in space... Also, at Penn State I can walk into a room that has 7 HUGE CNC machines, in lab casting facilities, robotic welders, Spin welders, Rapid prototyping machines ( 3d printers for CADD programs), and more. You can't get the experience using all of this stuff at a small school and that puts you behind from the start. People know that when you come from a big school like this your way more rounded this lets just say automotive. Coming from PSU or any of the other big ones you can do design, manufacturing, economics, business, etc.

One last thing about engineering is make sure that your getting a TRUE! engineering degree. Alot of people will pass off a technology degree as a real mechanical engineering degree but really you are not an engineer. Yes you can take the FE exam and become an engineer but I know if I see that on your resumee you don't have a chance. Your canned from the start.

yes and no....typical response from a university park student......you can get a great education from smaller schools and your gonna get no less job offers than what you would at a larger school such as pennstate main or pitt or what not.....i go to behrend and our machine lab is used as a training facility for haas automation. We have probably one of the best platics labs in the entire country.... and to say that your university park professors are more qualified than some small schools is assenine....ive had professors that have designed suspension and vibration dampening mechanisms for catipillar and jon deer, ive had a professor that has helped design large parts of nuclear power plants....so to say that you get a better education is dumb...

its true you have to watch out for technology degrees..but you can go to schools that have 4 year technology degrees that pretty much follow a mirror immage of the regular degree with a little less theory based and more hands on design principle....

and to say that you need a 3.75 from a smaller school to get hired is a farse as welll...if you have anything above a 3 as a gpa...your gonna get a pretty good job...what really counts is the internships that you do while your in school and the networking you make....if you do good interships..look good...your gonna get a good job....

i think some ppl are just blinded by boobs, kegs, adn football teams when it comes to going to a bigger school

Tommy 17
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ben300
yes and no....typical response from a university park student......you can get a great education from smaller schools and your gonna get no less job offers than what you would at a larger school such as pennstate main or pitt or what not.....i go to behrend and our machine lab is used as a training facility for haas automation. We have probably one of the best platics labs in the entire country.... and to say that your university park professors are more qualified than some small schools is assenine....ive had professors that have designed suspension and vibration dampening mechanisms for catipillar and jon deer, ive had a professor that has helped design large parts of nuclear power plants....so to say that you get a better education is dumb...

its true you have to watch out for technology degrees..but you can go to schools that have 4 year technology degrees that pretty much follow a mirror immage of the regular degree with a little less theory based and more hands on design principle....

and to say that you need a 3.75 from a smaller school to get hired is a farse as welll...if you have anything above a 3 as a gpa...your gonna get a pretty good job...what really counts is the internships that you do while your in school and the networking you make....if you do good interships..look good...your gonna get a good job....

i think some ppl are just blinded by boobs, kegs, adn football teams when it comes to going to a bigger school

I hate to tell you this but your wrong. I know 2 kids that are going to behrend right now with ME tech degrees and both are having trouble. One had to go to grad school because noone would hire him with a behrend technology degree. You will NEVER make it as far as a true ME with a technology degree. You just are not qualified enough to do the job. And for your professors ask them how many of them have a so called technology degree. Everyone of them is a doctorate or higher in education or you really are lacking in your education.

coryatver
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I go to behrend also and I agree partly with Tommy if I would do it over again I would have definitly tried to go to UP for the opportunities that it has to offer but Behrend is not a normal small school you get the same exact degree as you do at University Park it doesn't say Behrend anywhere on it it says Penn State and Behrend has a good reputation some prefer behrend grads over others becuase people are not pushed through the program like at UP. Behrend does have the only MET program in penn state i think but there are graduates with that degree that have gotten some amazing jobs. Both my roomates last year got a MET degree and both got good jobs before they graduated. They had to deal with some company's telling them they don't want techy's but they did find jobs. A ME degree is probably worth more but it isn't for everyone.

And Ben300 is refering to the plastics program at behrend I think there are like 4 others in the nation it has like a 100% job placement rate with that degree making BIG bucks and it is a technology degree.

Tommy 17
11-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Cory the differnce is mine says engineering and yours says engineering technology. As soon as they see that it throws a red flag.

coryatver
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Cory the differnce is mine says engineering and yours says engineering technology. As soon as they see that it throws a red flag.

I am not doing MET I am in Computer Engineering and I understand that but some company's out there are actually looking for Technologist I am not saying they will get paid as much but there are definitly jobs out there becuase most of the people I hung out with last year were in MET and got jobs that they are happy with. MET dudes are some tough guys I think one of the graduation requirements is you have to chew lol

obviously there isn't much love between Engineering and MET guys :eek2: MET guys learn what then need to in the labs and then go out and party at night while the me guys are in the library all night reading books:blah: Trust me I know how it feels it sucks when I was stuck doing work and they were asking me to go out with them

Quad18star
11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I know plenty of Technologists that are making $90 000 a year ... and that ain't too bad.

Tech degrees will allow you for more hands-on stuff , Engineering degrees is more paper work.

I'm happy with a Tech degree ... for me the extra $20 000 a year of an iron ring degree is not worth the headaches and worries that if a design that I signed off on fails , I'm liable. Far too many times do you see designs fail, people get killed or injured , and the Engineer gets slapped with huge fines and possible jail time.

Like someone said ... it might work out on paper , but in the real world it's a flop.

Tommy 17
11-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star

Tech degrees will allow you for more hands-on stuff , Engineering degrees is more paper work.

I'm happy with a Tech degree ... for me the extra $20 000 a year of an iron ring degree is not worth the headaches and worries that if a design that I signed off on fails , I'm liable. Far too many times do you see designs fail, people get killed or injured , and the Engineer gets slapped with huge fines and possible jail time.

Like someone said ... it might work out on paper , but in the real world it's a flop.

Tech degrees do not give you any more hands on experience then a true ME degree. That is such a line of bull. With my job there will be almost 0 behind the desk design work with the exception of new fixture design. I'll actually have more hands on work because I'll be one the one sent to the line to figure out what went wrong. What a tech does is solve every day manufacturing problems or the work the engineer doesn't want to do.

Like I said I'm not trying to be an *** here by any means but this kid said he wants to go and design and work with cars. I gurantee GM Ford or the rest will not hire him for a design position with a degree from that college. With the way the market is and how competive jobs are you have to know someone to get in there and have the best degree possible. Trust me I know I've tried to get into GM and I know what it takes. The guys I'm working with at GM right now are of the lead engineers and the other guy designed the heads for the new ZL1 corvette.

Sandsjbyz22
11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda has been taking interns and graduates from YSU for awhile now. My old roomate is now with Westinghouse in there nuclear division and they are starting to pull more kids from YSU.

As far as the MET degree. Yeah starting out may be harder but in the long run it has no bearing once you start in the work force. Everything you learned in college barley scratches the surface once you are out in the field. My boss started out as an MET from Akron and now is a Professional Engineer with a very reputable consulting company.

One thing to look for in the future is that to get your PE you may have to go to GRAD school.

2001-400ex'er
11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I would take a look at UW-Platteville, a D3 school with about 7700 students and very well know for its engineering programs...

I'll second that. I'm a sophomore right now and don't really have any bad things to say about it. There is a very good Engineering program here, everything from mech. to electrical to civil.

Quad18star
11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech degrees do not give you any more hands on experience then a true ME degree. That is such a line of bull. With my job there will be almost 0 behind the desk design work with the exception of new fixture design. I'll actually have more hands on work because I'll be one the one sent to the line to figure out what went wrong. What a tech does is solve every day manufacturing problems or the work the engineer doesn't want to do.

You'll be out in the field finding out why things went wrong , until you become an Intermediate or Senior Engineer ... then you'll be behind the desk doing design work , playing with computer programs.

If you're out in the field when you start off , you're basically doing a Techs job, which is gather the information in order to analize it. But as you said , the Tech will be doing the jobs you won't want to do , which usually involves getting down and getting your hands dirty.

You're probably right, the BIG companies won't hire anything but the top grads from the top universities , but to say that companies won't hire Technology degree grads is a false statement. There's plenty of work for grads from colleges or lesser known Universities related to what this kid may want to do. And sometimes going to a smaller company rather than the BIG companies is a better options . ie look at Ford , Chrysler, GMs situation.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. ;)

Toadz400
11-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Definitely wasn't expecting this big of a reaction!

I would actually be more interested in the Tech side of it doing more hands-on things. I could care less if I'm not making $100K+. As long as I'm doing something I enjoy and making a decent enough living to survive I'll be okay. Working for a smaller company also interests me as I said before I do plan on doing my own work sometime in the future.

What would be good MET schools? I'll have to take a look into UW-Platteville, I think it's only a 4-5 hour drive from home.

300extreme#8
11-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I attend university of martin in tennesse. Its really great and the community isn't over crowding. I'm a civil engineer. The classes are great and the teachers actually get involved with the studebts. Also in the mechanical engineering department they build a dune buggy from stratch and then race it in the BAJA 500. That's pretty cool look it up www.UTM.edu. Not sure how to navigate you around the website to find it all butjust another option.

Robin Hood
11-28-2008, 12:53 AM

Sorry I didn't post earlier lol I skimmed past the thread.

The school itself is located in the middle of Newark, NJ. Right smack dab in the middle of the projects so you're kinda restricted to staying on the campus at all times. 3/4s of the population are hindus who don't shower. The rest of the population is a mix between whites and chinese and a majority of them just sit in their dorm and play WoW all day. The school is really no fun at all, when you enroll, you're sacrificing your social life for your education but you're guaranteed a job by at least junior year. I'm already working with a few engineering companies and getting my name out there.

The only excitement you'll ever get at NJIT is when there's a shooting around the block...

Toadz400
11-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
Sorry I didn't post earlier lol I skimmed past the thread.

The school itself is located in the middle of Newark, NJ. Right smack dab in the middle of the projects so you're kinda restricted to staying on the campus at all times. 3/4s of the population are hindus who don't shower. The rest of the population is a mix between whites and chinese and a majority of them just sit in their dorm and play WoW all day. The school is really no fun at all, when you enroll, you're sacrificing your social life for your education but you're guaranteed a job by at least junior year. I'm already working with a few engineering companies and getting my name out there.

The only excitement you'll ever get at NJIT is when there's a shooting around the block...

I wouldn't mind a "boring" school as I don't party and would rather focus entirely on school. However I don't think I'd be entirely for the shootings around the block...

brian76708
11-28-2008, 09:48 PM

from what i have herd its all on your first job not so much on that your degree is a technology or not.

Robin Hood
11-29-2008, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't mind a "boring" school as I don't party and would rather focus entirely on school. However I don't think I'd be entirely for the shootings around the block...

Yeah it's not too comforting...

We have a campus-wide notification system that you can link to your cell phones and I get Security warnings at least two times a week.