PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when buying 400ex??

ae13291
11-21-2008, 11:53 PM
whats up guys im new to the forum, i am going tomorrow morning 4 hours away from home to check out a 400ex. from the pics it looks to be good. and the seller told me it runs and drives just fine. ok now the question here is, is there anything in particular i need to look for in the 400ex? like is there a problem with a single part on them that always goes bad? how would i be able to tell if everything is mechanically running fine? how can i also identify a bent frame? btw its a 02 honda 400ex. thanks guys please let me know

RaginRedneck
11-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Nothing really to common goes bad. However, common upgrades are exhaust (pretty much all quads) and then suspension, 400EX suspension is average at best. So if the quad has aftermarket shocks, thats a big plus.

Someone more knowledgable than me can probably point out some other things though.....

Good Luck

440challenger
11-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Check for:
Air filter,pull filter ck for dirt in intake
all bearings, a arm, cariier, etc
ck oil level cold,
steering stem / bars bent
frame, run your hand on the bottom of the flat part behind the steering stem.
Start it up cold, see if it smokes, Most 400's do a bit when cold(valve seals) but when its warm, it should go away.
Valves, Nosiy?
Chain,sprockets worn?
Case cracked from chain ?
Oil tank, motor drain bolts stripped,or been repaired?
Cables good,not frayed/burnt?

That should be a good start

Misfit400ex
11-22-2008, 08:49 AM
also bring a rag and hold it behind the exhuast and blip the throttle a few times, make sure no oil spits out onto the rag.

Ruby Soho
11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
look for cracks around the front sprocket on the swingarm

look for cracks on the upper front shock mount area

check for play in the swingarm for the pivot bolt, just see if it was taken care of.

the 400ex's are really bullet proof quads. they only thing to watch out for is the owner and the history, i don't recommend buying an already built motor, because you never know who did it, and how well.

good luck

ae13291
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM
alright guys i just came home from the 4 hour drive. i just bought a 02 400ex with brand new paddles and wheels thrown in for a total of $1350 now if that a good deal or what?? i will post up some pics. the quad runs beautiful it just needs some TLC like there is some rust on parts and the drivers tie rod is bent, needs a rear brake light, the tires are worn but all the rims are straight, left headlight bulb burned, needs regular maintenance, the quad has been sitting for about a year on the gas and its pretty old gas but runs. also the spark arestor is missing. please let me know if anybody has these parts for sale. thanks