PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to ride a Z400

SGA
12-14-2002, 01:57 PM
We went riding today. Got some good seat time on my friends Z400, fields/small hills/small jumps. It rode good. Not as much power as i thought it would have. I think airbox mods and a pipe would wake it up. I love the reverse. Speaking of power, also rode a Yamaha YZ 426 dirtbike. Fast, very fast. That is all.

Z400central
12-14-2002, 02:14 PM
Nice!!!!:D

12-14-2002, 05:36 PM
it wasnt all what i thought when i rode one myself, but very smooth and gotta love that reverse

Pappy
12-14-2002, 07:02 PM
its all you;) ya gettin the itch again?:devil

Sparks425Ex
12-14-2002, 07:50 PM
My best friend has one. When i first rode it I was very suprised with the bototm end. From how all the mags talked it was gonna be crazy power on bottom. It was nice and deff more then a 400Ex.

They have the most beautiful clutch ever invetned on a stock quad. No arm pump there.

But they sit a little to high.....IMO

It just feels like they are a little tippy around corners. O well Nice quads all around for sure.

12-15-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex
My best friend has one. When i first rode it I was very suprised with the bototm end. From how all the mags talked it was gonna be crazy power on bottom. It was nice and deff more then a 400Ex.

They have the most beautiful clutch ever invetned on a stock quad. No arm pump there.

But they sit a little to high.....IMO

It just feels like they are a little tippy around corners. O well Nice quads all around for sure.

weird the z400 i rode didnt have more bottem end then my old 400ex :huh it did have way for mid-top end range though, i need to get those pics developed from that trip.

SGA
12-15-2002, 12:08 PM
More thoughts after some time on the stock Z400. The front end was much lighter than my 400ex, Hit the gas and it rises in the air. That could be a problem on hill climbs. The rear swingarm needs to be 1-2 inches longer I think. It has less low end power than a stock 400EX, but it has good mid and top end power. Its more of a revving engine. It handled good overall, a little tippy on the corners, not quite as good as a stock 400ex to me, but not too bad either.
The engine is very smooth and quiet, hardly any vibration at all. I used the reverse a few times, very handy. I like to ride technical/tight trails sometimes, on dirt hills,going through dry ditches and crawling over stuff. General exploring. On my 400ex i would have to get off and pull it back/over to keep it from tipping over. On the z, I just clicked into reverse and backed up, chose a different route and kept going. VERY handy.

I think stock for stock, the 400ex has a advantage on handling. The power/speed is about the same more or less.

Overall, it is a good quad, comfortable, great for general riding and having a good time, with plenty of power, just like the 400ex. Serious riders/ racers will have to make the usual changes, shocks, pipe,filter, axle, tires, etc.
I'm a honda fan, But I wish they would make sport quad with reverse. If Honda had a quad with the handling of the 400EX, and reverse, it would be a no brainer what to buy.

DaveEX7
12-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by sgaexer
More thoughts after some time on the stock Z400. The front end was much lighter than my 400ex, Hit the gas and it rises in the air. That could be a problem on hill climbs. The swingarm needs to be 1-2 inches I think. It has less low end power than a stock 400EX, but it has good mid and top end power. Its more of a revving engine. It handled good overall, a little tippy on the corners, not quite as good as a stock 400ex to me, but not too bad either.
The engine is very smooth and quiet, hardly any vibration at all. I used the reverse a few times, very handy. I like to ride technical/tight trails sometimes, on dirt hills,going through dry ditches and crawling over stuff. General exploring. On my 400ex i would have to get off and pull it back/over to keep it from tipping over. On the z, I just clicked into reverse and backed up, chose a different route and kept going. VERY handy.

I think stock for stock, the 400ex has a advantage on handling. The power/speed is about the same more or less.

Overall, it is a good quad, comfortable, great for general riding and having a good time, with plenty of power, just like the 400ex. Serious riders/ racers will have to make the usual changes, shocks, pipe,filter, axle, tires, etc.
I'm a honda fan, But I wish they would make sport quad with reverse. If Honda had a quad with the handling of the 400EX, and reverse, it would be a no brainer what to buy.

i agree, i read in one of my mags honda is comin out with a "new, sick quad"..... i dunno itl prob be like the rest of the honda models only with more power and reverse as u said

roostin_dale
12-15-2002, 04:35 PM
i was thinkin about a z but i decided to get a 440ex instead...i think im gunna buy k_fulks

Ryan
12-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Well reading this fourm it seems that the Z-400's arn't as good as everyone said they are. I heard that there was alot more power with more of a 2-stroke powerband in it. They also said it has the best handling of any stock quad made. I was thinking of getting one but now im getting second thoughts. I should just stick with my old ideah, Find a used, modded 250r.

DEAL
12-15-2002, 05:14 PM
There is no way they handle as great as they say, I find them to be twitchy, and they feel very tippy.
They pull a little harder than a 400ex, You have to shift and clutch more on the KFX/Z (I find i have to)
They sit WAY too high for my liking also.

raptor_02
12-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ryan88
Well reading this fourm it seems that the Z-400's arn't as good as everyone said they are. I heard that there was alot more power with more of a 2-stroke powerband in it. They also said it has the best handling of any stock quad made. I was thinking of getting one but now im getting second thoughts. I should just stick with my old ideah, Find a used, modded 250r. here's a better idea, buy a cannondale!!!!!

Ryan
12-15-2002, 06:12 PM
Yeah but that cannondale is outta my price range. im thinkin about it though. I know now not to get a Z

spincr4hire
12-16-2002, 05:55 AM
I personally love my Z, haven't had a whole lot of seat time yet, but I like it. Did the one you guys rode have the proper break-in yet? They say after the initial 10 hour break-in period, the power increase is VERY noticable. Mine hasn't been broke in yet, but from what I can tell it has a lot more ars than the EX had. The EX MAY have more in 1st gear, but thats it. Everyone says they feel higher or 'tippy' but I think its the way the front fenders flair up.
The seat height is the same as the ex. I love the reverse, too, and the liquid cooling is hard to beat.

Z400central
12-16-2002, 08:48 AM
lots of difference sides to this story......funny how the honda guys say the Z400 sucks, slow, etc etc.....yet they praise the 400ex...:confused:

12-16-2002, 09:06 AM
funny how the honda guys say the Z400 sucks, slow, etc etc.....yet they praise the 400ex...
And I was just thinking there wasnt any of that in this thread :confused:

Everyone says they feel higher or 'tippy' but I think its the way the front fenders flair up. I am not sure but I am starting to think that the seat heights may be reported at very close numbers but possibly the z400 doesnt sag as much with the riders weight. It is deff a little higher and feels like it wants to two wheel more than the ex stk v/s stk. Just MHO though.

Well reading this fourm it seems that the Z-400's arn't as good as everyone said they are. If you mean dirt liars I have to agree but then again a full race prepped R wouldnt fill their bs wet dreams. I found from riding them that they arent as good or as bad as I had heard.

The Z is so compareable to the EX due to the cookie cutter design ( they are way to alike in the frame dept) and yes Zuki put a better engine in it and added reverse. So like i have said b4 basicly they took Honda's current machine copied it and put a much better engine in it and added reverse. So to me its basicly a liquid cooled DOHC ex w/ reverse built by zuki.

Godspeed
12-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Not a bad reveiw sgaexer. And to spincr4hire, yes, she will wake up as soon as the honeymoon is over.

I was the first guy on EXriders.com to get a Z. Remember aka FREAKYSTONE, my mean and nasty alter ego? I waited until she was broke in then I gave a reveiw verses my 01' 400EX with a WB R4 and some other basic mods. As well as against a few other modded 400EX's.

I see the comments about the Z400 and it is obvious by both the positive and negative comments that few people who speak have spent much time on them. I sold the 400EX, I am on my second Z400 (other was stolen) and I have a Cannondale Speed. I have been riding since 1982 when I was twelve and started racing in 83/84.

Now for my review on STOCK QUADS vs. STOCK QUADS. (Dont beat me up to bad if you dont like the answers.)

The 400EX was the next best thing to the 250R in terms of handling. But other than that, the 400EX was underpowered and needed mods from day one. The Z400 changed the rules a little. Sure, they copied the 400EX frame but Suzuki was the first on four, nuff said. I have read posts about the Z400 being tall and tippy, BS. The numbers are so similar to the 400EX that you would need a micrometer to tell the true difference. The fenders on the Z400 give the optical illusion that it is taller. The tail of the tape dont lie. As far has handling in the real world, it feels like my 400EX did. Identical. Period. I have XCR Holeshots on the Z now and the way it handles is different. Some for the good and some for the bad. Even though the XCR's are 20's, they are a bit smaller than 20" XC's.

Obviously the reverse is great. It is easy to brag you dont need it when you dont have it and dont have a choice. But when you have it, you use it.

Low end. This seems to be the major pitch a 400EX owner has over a Z400 owner. Yes the 400EX has about a 1/10th of a second slightly quicker burst. That is where it ends. PERIOD. That allows equals riders on a 400EX to pull about a foot ahead for the first five feet. Then it is over. I suppose if 5 foot drag races where the competition, the 400EX would win. Hahaha.

A stock Z with a 230 lb. guy will consistently beat a 400EX with a 190 lb rider, pipe, powerbomb, filter and hotcam. I see a variety of those races every weekend. I am talking straight, 200 yard drags on virtually any surface. Even when the Z doesnt get a good start, it doesnt take more than 50 feet or so for it to catch an EX. Sorry guys, this is real world.

But then again, when is drag racing real world? What does it mean? Not much.

So now lets talk Dale vs. Z. Power, speed, excelleration and top mph, NO CONTEST. The Speed chews up and spits out the Z. Looks real funny like. However, the Z is easier to ride. More predictable. Watch now as the Dale owners kick my teeth in where the EX riders stopped. For some reason, the Speed doesnt corner as well as a Z. Talk about tippy. Wait, I dont think the Speed is tippy but it is more tippy than a Z or an EX. It could be the tires. The Ohlins obviously are a step up from the stockers that the EX or Z has. Again, no comparision. The power of the Speed actually makes for a high level of unpredicatability in many situations compared to a Z or EX. Trucking on the Speed is tough. The wheels want to spin and so traction is similar to a Banshee. If youve ridden a Banshee you know what I mean. The starting of a Dale even when warmed up is delayed. It takes a second or two more to start. That may not sound like much but there are many situations where you need to start and go. Imagine hill climbing and you kill it. On a Z or EX, you can restart without missing a beat. On the Dale, you might come to a stop or even start rolling back by the time she starts.

Tight trail riding, and you have to feather the heck out of the Dale. Thank God for the Magura but I swear the clutch on the Z is equally as easy to pull as the hydro on the Dale. Try one before you yell at me. I would almost say that a Speed has just a lack of low end burst as a Z. Both the Z and the Dale are meant to rev. The EX isnt.

I will say this, the Dale is Awesome, awesome, awesome. But not for all people, environments and styles of riding. Dont think you need or want one because you are a great rider. It wont always make you better. I read a quote out of an ATV mag that said, "The Speed does a lot of things good but not one thing great." Hmmmm. I think that went a bit far.

So here are my picks:

Racing MX: 250R

Racing GNCC: Blaze

Playing in the dunes: Banshee

A bit of everying/weekend warrior (about 95% of all riders): Z400

Short on cash: A used 400EX. Boy they are going cheap.

I'll take my lashes now.

Pappy
12-16-2002, 10:01 AM
i'd have to agree with almost everything ya said godspeed.......i was impressed with the z400 mid and top but felt it lacking down low....so change sprokets

the thing we have found on zracers is what we all have found on the 400ex......it needs some things to make it work better for the type of racing you do.

SGA
12-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Good review godspeed. I agree with you. The differences between the Z400 and the 400EX are VERY small. Suzuki took a major step in the right direction with the liquid cooled/reverse geared Z400. The Z400 I rode was very new. From what I have heard, i'm sure once the engine and shocks break in, it will turn better and have more power. As a matter of fact, towards the end of the day, it was handling better.
I am not a brand basher.
I have seen piles of guys on quads, some nice, some beaters. Why should i tell the guys on the beaters that they have a POS? All it does is hurt their feelings. Many people cannot afford the latest quad. I always say, " Nice quad! " The smile I see is worth it.

JustRace
12-16-2002, 10:38 AM
I want to ride one. They look like a good quad, the only time i've seen one is in the back of a truck.

VooDuu Child
12-16-2002, 12:23 PM
I love my Z's.

efreak
12-16-2002, 01:39 PM
very happy here also

Ryan
12-16-2002, 08:02 PM
Gospeed. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. I always heard alot of good things about the Z but from the beginning of this fourm it kinda changed. I never road a cannondale but they seem different then I thought they were. I should look into the Z if its really that good. Its still a new quad so im sure they might change a few things for 2003 or 2004, which they always do with newer models.
I would be pissed if I bought a LTZ400/KFX400 and found out later on that Honda came out with a 450 Racer :rolleyes: :eek:

By the way, what is the power difference between a stock ltz400 and a stock trx250r?

Godspeed
12-17-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Ryan88
Gospeed. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. I always heard alot of good things about the Z but from the beginning of this fourm it kinda changed. I never road a cannondale but they seem different then I thought they were. I should look into the Z if its really that good. Its still a new quad so im sure they might change a few things for 2003 or 2004, which they always do with newer models.
I would be pissed if I bought a LTZ400/KFX400 and found out later on that Honda came out with a 450 Racer :rolleyes: :eek:

By the way, what is the power difference between a stock ltz400 and a stock trx250r?

Close. But then again, I have ridden a stock TRX250R in about 14 years. I know that a highly modded LT250R beats a stock Z400. If I were you Ryan, I would wait to see what Honda does. I dont think anyone with a 400EX should upgrade to a Z400. IMO. Patience is a virtue.

I am probably more excited about the 450 Yamaha rumors. Yes Honda has always built a better handling quad but if Yamaha finally said heck with it and copies a Honda frame and shoves a 450 in it, watch out.

I personally go through quads to quick to be brand loyal. By the way, I just sold the Speed and have an offer on the Z400. What is this world coming to?

Ryan
12-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Godspeed

Close. But then again, I have ridden a stock TRX250R in about 14 years. I know that a highly modded LT250R beats a stock Z400. If I were you Ryan, I would wait to see what Honda does. I dont think anyone with a 400EX should upgrade to a Z400. IMO. Patience is a virtue.

I am probably more excited about the 450 Yamaha rumors. Yes Honda has always built a better handling quad but if Yamaha finally said heck with it and copies a Honda frame and shoves a 450 in it, watch out.

I personally go through quads to quick to be brand loyal. By the way, I just sold the Speed and have an offer on the Z400. What is this world coming to?

What did you see your cannondale for?

It really doesn't matter to me also what name brand I have, whether its yamaha, honda cannondale whatever. As long as it is out performing these new quads then im all for that. I have heard rumors about Honda making a 450 but I know that Yamaha is in the process of making on right now. I just had alot of bad luck from yamahas but lets face it, it was a Blaster. When they do make this dream quad, im hoping that the MSPR won't be over $6,500. Well I have plenty of time to wait and see what comes out next. I think that the ltz400/kfx400 will be lost if Honda and Yamaha are making 450's. But still they won't stop making them for awhile.

About that stock trx250r. Not many people have stock 250rs but its hard to say. What I have noticed with the ltz400/kfx400 which is very peculiar that when honda came out you never saw like Doug Gust, Bill Balance, WIllian Yokely or Johnny Galiger ever made a 400ex to race in the pro classes. Now that the Z is out people have changed over from a trx250r now to a ltz400/kfx400 in racing. You can't really count Doug Gust because he is using the DRZ motor but anways you get the point. Not many top top riders toke then 400ex to race but now im starting to see these guys using ltz400/kfx400s.

Godspeed
12-17-2002, 03:28 PM
I wouldnt read to much into it in terms of added performance over a 400EX. I think guys are starting to switch because of the contingency money that Suzuki and Kawasaki are putting up and the fact that Kawi will have hot shots available to pro riders and most major events. I think that if Honda did that the 400EX might have seen some more riders too. Just my two cents.

On the other hand it could be because the motor revs better and has liquid cooling. Heck I could talk both ways all day. Good and Bad. But for the day to day rider, the Z is a fine quad. As is the Raptor and the 400EX.

Maryland 400EX
12-17-2002, 04:01 PM
Godspeed, I agree with just about everything EXCEPT the one about a Z-400 rider weighing 40 lbs. more and beating a modded 400 with a pipe, filter and cams. I just encountered a stock Z-400 with 170 lb. rider and I'm 205 LBS. (400 EX) with a Sparks X-6 Pipe and that race was very close. I'm talking 1/2 bike length difference from start to winding out top gear. The Z-400 is a nice quad, no doubt but for the $5,500 dollars he coulda had a Raptor. Geez I'm glad he didn't!

Ryan
12-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Yeah I definitly understand what your talking about with honda and suzuki. Honda should get more involved with atv racing now that it is growing rapidly. What I don't get is becuase mainly those guys were either riding a trx250r or a crf450 quad, But then again it could be just performance ect. Suzuki, Kawaski and cannondale seem to be getting more into the atv racing scene but I don't see much from Honda or Yamaha. Well not sure with yamaha anyway.

By the way why did you sell your Cannondale speed and why are you selling your LTZ400? Sheez you go through quads like I go through underwear :huh

Godspeed
12-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Well, I was gonna get a Blaze but I am rethinking it. I really dont plan on selling the Z but two people are interested in it so you never know. More than likely I will keep it until the something better comes out.

Dale is scaring me with the rumors and uncertaintly about their future. I read someone say that they would be forced to make part available for ten years. I dont know about that. I read an article in Forbes magazine about Dae Woo. You cant get a door handle or a fender since they went out of business and all of the warranties are void. Ouch.

New-400ex_guy
12-17-2002, 11:45 PM
i love my z put a pipe, filter, jet kit and some +2 a-arms it like riding a cadilac with a northstar V8 :) . all i need is some shocks for the rough stuff, and a longer swingarm for the dunes.

raptor_02
12-18-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I personally love my Z, haven't had a whole lot of seat time yet, but I like it. Did the one you guys rode have the proper break-in yet? They say after the initial 10 hour break-in period, the power increase is VERY noticable. Mine hasn't been broke in yet, but from what I can tell it has a lot more ars than the EX had. The EX MAY have more in 1st gear, but thats it. Everyone says they feel higher or 'tippy' but I think its the way the front fenders flair up.
The seat height is the same as the ex. I love the reverse, too, and the liquid cooling is hard to beat. suzuki claims the seat height is the same but its not. Read all the shoots outs and look at all the pics from the rear. You can tell the honda sits lower.

raptor_02
12-18-2002, 01:55 PM
godspeed
nice info on the Z. I believe pretty much everything but I don't think a Z is that much faster than an ex. Mine just has a pipe, 155 main jet, and a kn filter and I don't think a Z could take me in a drag. My bro's raptor had a hard time doing it so I don't think a Z could. But I could be wrong. Also I can't believe u kept the Z and sold the dale?? I would love to have a dale!!! I hate that they are shut down right now. I hope everything goes good for cannondale!!!!

R-Crazy
12-19-2002, 08:23 AM
well, as a hardcore MXer, i think i will be going with a dale. I was going to get a Z, but fell in love with the c-dale. as for power of all these quads, i think the 400ex: 27, Z400: 30, Raptor: 33, Cannibal: 37, Speed: 38, Moto and Blaze: 47.
Hope this clears some things up.

dave

efreak
12-19-2002, 09:05 AM
also consider a predator.. I had a chance to ride one yesterday and they are very powerfull. It beat every bike out there including a Z400, Honda EX, 2 Banshees, and a raptor. They also handle very well.

Godspeed
12-19-2002, 11:41 AM
I agree with efreak. Polaris doesnt have a good sport atv reputation but they obviously have some $$$ to run with the big dogs, unlike Dale. It will be interesting to see how the Predator holds up and runs with the rest of the field.

Lest face it, you take all of the spec's from the Predator and put a "All New Honda TRX500EX" badge on it and nearly all of you would forget about aluminum framed, fuel injected Dales and swear Honda was king ***** again.

I think that most people think that Polaris doesnt have the reliability that other quads do, but are you comparing it to Honda or Dale?

I think that the Predator will make a huge impact in the racing scene. Definetly bigger than the Z400/KFX will and maybe even more than Dale :eek: , yes you heard me right.:huh

efreak
12-19-2002, 02:01 PM
i will agree with that statment also!!! The stock bike just has so much smooth power. It feels real stable on turns and eats bumbs like nothing. It feels so different than my Z4000. It sits much lower and wider. Now however since i ride alot of trails and only some MX i would miss not having the reverse.

If i was only riding mx than my pic would be the predator for sure, its just ready to race in the stock form were othere are not.

--efreak

Ryan
12-19-2002, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Godspeed
I think that the Predator will make a huge impact in the racing scene. Definetly bigger than the Z400/KFX will and maybe even more than Dale :eek: , yes you heard me right.:huh [/QUOTE

I don't see that happening. Its nice to see Polaris so to produce sport quads though but I don't think it will have more effect over the ltz/kfx 400. Its gonna be as popular and you can only race them in open classes, if your racing. I don't really know but I would never think that the Predator would make a difference in the future for atvs.
Well you know alot alot more then I do but im just laying out my thoughts.

Godspeed
12-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Yeah you are partially correct, the 500 cc's create a bit of a problem with the exception of open class.